The Dark Mod Forums

Dark Mod on the Asus ROG Ally

refl3ks

Just got my Ally a few days back, quite amazing how great this thing performs. Night and day difference compared to the Steam Deck. Definitely worth the purchase.

nkw4fR7.jpeg

Edited by refl3ks
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, datiswous said:

Nice to see you can install Linux on this as well.

I don't really like it's white though.

Not a big fan of Linux, not a bad OS overall.. Just too many work-arounds that I can't be bothered with.
I wasn't keen on the white as well when originally purchasing, it did grow on me over time. I'm much happier with this system than the Steam Deck as a whole. The FM I'm working on can be demanding on some systems, the Ally runs it much better than I anticipated.

Edited by refl3ks

Actually, recently I was looking for a not too expensive laptop with not so bad gaming performance. Maybe I could get one of these handhelds instead and plug it in a portable screen, like the ASUS ZenScreen OLED MQ16AH for example.

I guess you might need an external keyboard as well..

How good are the controls for regular use like browsing the web?

What I don't like about the Asus ROG Ally compared to the Steamdeck is that it doesn't have trackpads.

There's also this device with a 5.5" OLED screen:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ayaneo-air-1s-light-thin-oled-amd-7840u-handheld#/

Edited by datiswous

15 hours ago, freyk said:

It is a nice device. It runs windows so an special installer to run tdm is not needed. 

But which fm do you run on that device, from the picture?

That is my own current FM that I'm working on.

12 hours ago, datiswous said:

Actually, recently I was looking for a not too expensive laptop with not so bad gaming performance. Maybe I could get one of these handhelds instead and plug it in a portable screen, like the ASUS ZenScreen OLED MQ16AH for example.

I guess you might need an external keyboard as well..

How good are the controls for regular use like browsing the web?

What I don't like about the Asus ROG Ally compared to the Steamdeck is that it doesn't have trackpads.

There's also this device with a 5.5" OLED screen:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ayaneo-air-1s-light-thin-oled-amd-7840u-handheld#/

The Ally not having trackpads is not an issue for me, the touch screen is super responsive (not the case for the SD), feels like a refined tablet/phone. 

I would imagine RTS games are the only time the trackpads would be useful.