The Dark Mod Forums

Modelling My First Head

BlackThief

the highpoly model took me quite a while - especially the ears, because I wanted to do them perfectly. I don't count every second but I guess the highpoly head took me at least 15-20 hours. Moddeling of the lowpoly wasn't that extensive, maybe 8 hours including all tweaking etc, but the unwrapping and texturing took me quite a while, eventhough the texture is heavily photosourced. (I'm not such a good hand-painter, especially when it comes to organic stuff, but I actually don't mind, because I like photo-sourced textures a lot more than those handpainted ones, unless they are really uber good!)

Looks like a thug or a house guard.

thought I should try to give this guy a body as well and as Oddity suggested I made him a thug or servant.

Made this rather quick, so a lot of parts still need some work (especially the arms). I'll probably make the lowpoly this weekend, just to see how it turns out in d3.

servant2.jpg

servant1.jpg

oh yes the hands, forgot to say that I just copied the hands from the builder-statue I started some time ago. that's because I want to use the hands + their textures that oddity is using for his models, which look already perfect ingame. there's no need to reinvent the wheel, right? ;)

ok finished the lowpoly, it weights around 4000tris (including head+hands). I used the hands oddity's using for his models (hope you don't mind oddity), however they made the polycount really explode, they are 1000tris alone!

before unwrapping the whole shit I'd like to get some feedback, especially if there will be any problems with deformations when animating it.

servant3.jpg

[in case you're wondering why the legs are tris: I accidentally converted the polys to tris and overwrote the file]

servant3_wire.jpg

if you think the quality isn't good enough for the mod, it's ok for me. I've never done a lowpoly character-model before, so I really learned a lot making this model.

I can't say if it's good enough for the game until its textured and in-game.

The head looks a lot better textured than as a wireframe shaded model.

I can see a lot of unnecessary geometry in there.

For example, each limb section only needs one loop, while you have two or three. You also have too many lines flowng down the length of the arms, legs and body..

As long as you keep it 5k at the most, though 4 would be better since it's not a complicated mesh.

That cape-thing is goign to be impossible for animating. At least put a split in the front of it, or bring in it a bit to the shoulders.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

4000 is ok.

AS for the hands, I'm goign to switch to using the hands from the doom player model. They are very simple, just a thumb and a forefinger, with the other three fingers welded together, but they are only 100 polys each.

We don't really need a fully articulated 5 fingered hand with three joints each.

THat will mean a saving of 800 polys per charcater.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Another general point is that the proportions are a bit wonky, just like your head model.

I know people are all shaped differently, but the proportions aren't right even relative to this charcater. They just don't look asthetically pleasing.

- Emil Zola

character models site

The torso is also a bit too wide, though that might stand out less if the arms are lengthened.

In that case you'd need to cinch in the waist a bit. If you made the belt 'tighter' then it will look like it's the tunic that's bulky and not him. :)