The Dark Mod Forums

Free Form Thief-like World

Garion

nonono, if there is a map-changing teleport (ala t3) then yes the guard will lose you, but an in-level teleport (from one area within a map to another) will not make them lose you, in fact, if they can they'll follow you, and if they can't they'll find a way to get to your new spot (doom3 ai that is, not sure how our ai will treat this).

so no crappy shit like in t3 where you'd run from the city and return later, only to find the idiot guard there waiting for you - fully alerted and all. Thief 3 had bad coding in this regard.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dram, I thought I had posted this last night but I guess it got lost. Ive been thinking about that airship map, with the two ships in combat and the Thief has to sneak from one across to another. Question for you, lets say the Thief has made it across and is settling down into a new hiding spot below decks. Would it be possible to have a visiport in the form of a porthole or a window through which the Thief could watch the first ship going down in flames? It would not have to be a complete model, just a decent rez graphic. It would be a nice cinematic effect methinks.

I guess you could make a GUI hud there and show a cinematic based on a trigger. Would be much more efficient IMO.

If you make it right, then the player wouldn't even notice the difference.

Right, I was thinking that it would be triggered once he is below decks, and that the simpler model would be covered with smoke and flames anyway so the player wont get a really close look. It would add a nice dramatic touch I think. Im not sure, whats a GUI hud and how is it different from a visiport?

A visportal is a strucutre for the D3 renderengine to handle areas that are potentially visible. You have to place them thus ealing of areas from each other, and the engine can more easily determine how much it must consider when it renders.

A GUI hud is simply what you can see in the original game for example as a monitor display where commercials are shown, but also the main menu and such. If you played D3 you may rmember that the had even an automaton there where you could play something like Whack The Mole which also is a GUI that shows the gamescreen ingame.

Gerhard

A visportal is a strucutre for the D3 renderengine to handle areas that are potentially visible. You have to place them thus ealing of areas from each other, and the engine can more easily determine how much it must consider when it renders.

A GUI hud is simply what you can see in the original game for example as a monitor display where commercials are shown, but also the main menu and such. If you played D3 you may rmember that the had even an automaton there where you could play something like Whack The Mole which also is a GUI that shows the gamescreen ingame.

that was a quik response, are you hiding in my office somewhere?!?

(looks under carpet)

Ok, so a visportal is used to portalize areas so the D3 engine wont chug down processing all that information. Domarious was talking about these a few weeks back. And a GUI hud allows teh player to see a gamescreen while in game, so would Turbo Turkey Puncher be a GUI hud?

Yes. A hud is simplay an element that the player can interact with. As I said, all the menus are HUDs, or the PDA. And you can create hud elements also ingame like the monitors where you can switch on some stuff, or look at a scene from a remote camera, or simply look at a prerecorded video.

Gerhard