The Dark Mod Forums

Some Models Showing Black

Springheel

There are a few models that are showing up black in the editor. Some of these I noticed before the reorganization, but some may be a result of something I moved. Either way, if you're the one who uploaded these, please point me to the right .mtr file.

crate01.lwo

crate02.lwo

font1.lwo

castironsign1.lwo

Nope, there's no fountain.mtr in the materials folder. The ironsign textures are there in props/textures.

Can you add an entry for the fountain in decorative_oversize.mtr and the ironsign material in decorative_wall.mtr? Thanks.

Hmm, I've noticed a bit of a problem. After the reorganization, some of the models that didn't show black previously now do, and I can't figure out why. Everything seems to be changed to point to the right folders, yet they're still appearing as black.

For example, vase1.lwo was moved from models/props/flowers to models/darkmod/props/decorative

The old material file read:

models/props/textres/vase1

{

noselfshadow

diffusemap models/props/textures/vase1_d.tga

specularmap models/props/textures/vase1_s.tga

}

The new one reads:

models/props/textres/vase1

{

noselfshadow

diffusemap models/darkmod/props/textures/vase1_d.tga

specularmap models/darkmod/props/textures/vase1_s.tga

}

I checked, and yes, the .tga files are in the right folders. Am I missing something obvious? This is one of about a dozen or so that seem to be black for no reason I can see. I can't think of anything else that has changed (other than the name of the .mtr file, but that shouldn't matter at all).

I could use some help with this, as I'm stumped.

The models that have this problem are:

props/decorative/orchid.lwo

props/decorative/vase1.lwo

props/junk/wbottle01_broken.lwo

props/kitchen/cookpot.lwo

props/readables/bookrow1.lwo

door_related/gkey1.lwo

door_related/skey1.lwo

everything else is either fine or was black before the restructure.

A couple of them had improper folders and I was able to fix those. But these ones continue to show black and I'm not sure why. I know for sure the top two were working before the restructuring.

door_related/gkey1.lwo

door_related/skey1.lwo

architecture/rail1.lwo

architecture/dome1.lwo -- most of the textures show up, but the railing wood does not.

A couple of them had improper folders and I was able to fix those. But these ones continue to show black and I'm not sure why. I know for sure the top two were working before the restructuring.

door_related/gkey1.lwo

door_related/skey1.lwo

Did you physically move the textures folder as well? All the models were hard coded to

models/props/textures/texture.tga within lightwave, so that you could bascially move a model anywhere and it would still find the texture but if the folder itself has been moved....eek. I didn't think you were moving the textures in the reorg, otherwise I would have mentioned that this would cause problems. No worries, it's not much work for me to go through and check all the models once I sync up with CVS again. It's best to keep the textures in the new structure. I'll take care of it. :)

Hmm, it only seems to be those models. The rest are fine.

If you mean the material file points to the textures, I've changed all those to fit the new path.

Hmm, it only seems to be those models. The rest are fine.

If you mean the material file points to the textures, I've changed all those to fit the new path.

Strange that some would work and others not. The only way I resolved the black model issue before was to edit the pathnames in the model itself. I'll take a look at the first of the week all the same. :)

As it was explained to me, the model is hardcoded to point to a material 'title'. This title could be 'models/props/vase1' or it could just be 'tx2vase1' or whatever. Somewhere in a .mtr file (of any name) is an entry with the same title. This entry points to the specific textures to be used on that model.

If that's all true, then I can't figure out why those ones aren't working when all the rest are. :P

@Spar: Yeah, I got burned with that before...I don't think that's the problem here, but I'll double check.

@Sneaksie: I'm using ConText, and none of the other changes have caused problems, so I don't think that's it.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to update here. The following models still show black (no texture):

crate01.lwo

crate02.lwo

font1.lwo

castironsign1.lwo

Finger, I'll add the .mtr myself if you just give me the name of the material for the last two.

All of the models in the pipekit also currently show black, even though there's a material file for them.

These models used to work, but now have no texture since the reorganization:

architecture/rail1.lwo

architecture/dome1.lwo -- most of the textures show up, but the railing wood does not.

edit: Finger and I managed to fix the sign-holder. The rest are still black.