The Dark Mod Forums

Darknessfalls' Sounds/ambients

Darkness_Falls

well, the way I was going to change the nosemaker sound to be more like T2, it would have a "rev-up" and "rev-down" sound, kinda like what's heard in that last audio file I posted. If I do this, it's part of the noisemaker OGG file and that click sound becomes one long 30-second (or whatever) audio track, rather than a 5-second loopable sound. (You can't repeatedly loop the rev-up/rev-down sounds.) So, I guess my question is... can the noisemaker sound be broken up into three separate OGG files to allow FMers to tweak it's duration however they want?

OGG #1 = Clicks.

OGG #2 = Rev-up (happens at the start of the clicking.)

OGG #3 = Rev-down (happens at the end of the clicking duration.)

OGGs #2 and #3 would have to have some sort of knowledge of how long the FM author makes OGG #1, so they know when to play.

The noise arrow flight should be set to be unheard by guards, just like the other swooshing noises.

About the swooshes is general. You don't actually HEAR an arrow swoosh sound unless it flies right past you. Guards hearing this sound is something we should include, me thinks. I don't understand why we shouldn't?

I think guards should definitely be able to hear an arrow if it goes past them.

Might be interesting. What whoosh-sound detection radius would you put on it? I think it should be fairly small, maybe a few feet, so that you could arc a noisemaker arrow over the head of a guard standing in a tall hallway without him hearing it whoosh by and knowing which direction it came from. Otherwise, if you're not careful and you send a noisemaker that just barely brushes his ear, yes, you should pay for it. He should know which direction it came from.

Actually, I don't agree that the guard should be able to tell which way the arrow came from...it goes by extremely fast, and unless it happens to collide with something nearby or he actually sees it, he's not going to be able to tell where it came from. All it will do is alert him that there's an archer somewhere.

It would be pretty taxing on performance to make that sound propagated to AI. If you think about it, arrows are flying around very fast and even if it were propagated every frame, it might fly past them in the time between frames and they wouldn't hear it. We would have to think about efficient ways to let them know that an arrow just flew by them.