Magnesius

I will post my finished models here.

The ubiquitous gramophone:

new0yd4ju.th.jpg

Discussed here.

Model name: grammo3.ase (uploaded: yes)

A wrought iron gate with fence segments:

irongate9yp.th.jpg

The gate segment has its rotation point at the side, which should allow mappers to use this model as a rotating 'door'. I have designed the fence segments in the manner that a small BSP fundament is below them, as illustrated in the image. By the way, I intended the gate to be nearly black, and still a bit shiney.

Model name: irongate.ase; irongatesegment.ase (uploaded: ?)

Trumpet (loot item):

trumpet3am.th.jpg

This is also an ingame screenshot. I have rendered this trumpet also with Blender, but the polygon count information on the lower left in the picture are not up to date any more. The trumpet model has 2100 polygons, a good compromise between the high and low polygon model. Decimating the model even more causes too hard egdes. After all, you will not have too many of those special loot items in one room! :)

Model name: trumpet.ase (uploaded: ?)

I will mail the new models to Springheel, as I do not have CVS access yet. However, the gramophone model should already reside inside the Dark Mod development tree.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice looking gate, Mag. You can continue to email the models to me if you like, or you can check out the information forum for the details of our FTP site and put them there. Either way, if you check this post: http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?showtopic=3147

it will give you the folder structure we use for the models. You can also check the information forum for details of our internal model website, which displays all the models currently in game.

All textures go in the same folder: models/darkmod/props/textures/ Materials go in the main material folder.

Nothing wrong with different goblets, true. But something's really off with that texture...why is it so mottled? It really appears low-res in those shots.

Yeah, something that small doesn't need a normal other than for the gems (which should definitely be normaled rather than modeled), or for decorative ridges or something.

Btw, that picture you showed of a bunch of meshes you're working on...the vases and chests especially would be handy.

The goblet is, on the other hand, quite small - the screenshot above is very magnified.

Btw, that picture you showed of a bunch of meshes you're working on...the vases and chests especially would be handy.

The models are finished, apart from the textures.

I actually got the word from a dictionary. It is a sack made of jute... a gunnysack, appareantly.

By the way, I tried to get the wooden chest's door functioning - with a func_door and a func_rotating, but with little success (I seperated the door from the rest of the chest). It either keeps sliding on one axis, or keeps rotating the whole time.

How are such doors (e.g. on chests) realized in the Dark Mod? Do you use MD5meshes with animations or the method I just used?

You need to ease up on the normal-maps a bit. :) The antique vase especially is far too 'bumpy' (nice model though), and the wood-grain on the cabinet looks a little exaggerated.

Not that we can't use different versions of things, but we just had another sack done last week--please check the model request thread I mentioned earlier to see what is being worked on and what we need.

You need to ease up on the normal-maps a bit. The antique vase especially is far too 'bumpy' (nice model though)

Of course :)

vaseantique5kh.th.jpg

and the wood-grain on the cabinet looks a little exaggerated.

Yes, I will decimate the normal map a bit. However, it looks just right in my opinion.

Edit: I modified the specular map a bit, the symbols do now have a better appereance:

chest6tb.th.jpg

Yes, much better. :)

You're going to have to start using the FTP site if you're going to be this fast...I can't keep up.

Until now I used the USM export script for Blender, which allows only one material and thus only one texture for a mesh in Doom 3. While the USM exporter is a very handy tool, there are also other export scripts, such as Goofos' ASE exporter. I needed a model for testing, and created a gaslamp with 2 different materials (a golden surface & transparent glass):

gaslamp8ct.th.jpg

The Dark Mod has probably a whole collection of gaslamps, but if you want to add this one, I would certainly add some more details to it.

It's nice, but we do have one that is quite similar. You can always check the models website to see what already exists.

I'm not an artist, so you don't have to pay any attention to this, but I have a minor gripe about that vase. The bottom is polygonal instead of circular. I know making something resembling a circle with poly's is out of the question, but isn't it possible to make it that polygonal shape in terms of the model poly's, and then use an alpha texture to make it appear circular once the texture is painted on?

Only if the "circle to be" is as flat as a card, like the T2 plates. The base of that vase is in 3D, so that's not possible.

Personally, I think if someone's examining the vase that closely, and do notice the geometry, they will be grateful that the modeller had the sense not to devote many polys to such a small peice of scenery, and that the game runs faster as a result.

I think a "gunny sack" is more commonly known as a "potatoe sack", because that's what those pictures look like.

It's nice, but we do have one that is quite similar. You can always check the models website to see what already exists.

Oh, I know - however, I meant this gaslamp as a test in the first case. But after texturing it, it looked quite acceptable, so I posted it here in the Magnesius Mad Meshes thread.

@Ishtvan: Mixing 2D elements with meshes is more common for trees or fences/gates with detailed wrought iron ornaments. The vase has already 450 trinangles, which is perhaps even a bit too much.

I think a "gunny sack" is more commonly known as a "potatoe sack", because that's what those pictures look like.

Unambiguously :)