The Dark Mod Forums

Factory Concept

kfmccall

I have class in 10 minutes and I didnt have time to color this morning, i'll do it later if it is needed.

This is a brick factory, i'm not sure how the bricks would be carried around and loaded onto the storage areas, we need some kind of steampunk forklift or vehicle to move throughout the factory (or atleast sit in the factory to indicate it's use).

factory_1s.jpg

love that as well. couldn't hold myself and so I created already 3 textures for it :) If you find the time I'd love to have a floorplan of this, so I could give this a try and model the whole thing completely.

(have holidays for the next two weeks, so I've got plenty of time)

Here is the floor plan with ONLY the walls. I plan on adding rooms to the 2nd, 3rd, 4th floors and the curved rooftop attic. The windows for the first two floors are indicated. Is this how modelling works? Or do you need the individual rooms put in as well from the start? If so, let me know and i'll lay the rooms in and provide more detailed plans for the remaining floors.

Also: IMO I don't think we should have any rooms on the first floor, i'd say it should be the main factory floor where all the production takes place with a bunch of machinery and pipes flying all over the place for our thief character to take advantage of. What would also be cool is a metal mezzanine circling the walls of the first floor with access to vantage points above the machinery so guards/workers can be picked off with ranged weapons.

factory_2_plan.jpg

When it's actually made into a map, we'll probably have to make up some functional reason to have the tower on the side, right?

A lot of processes could use towers like that. I remember hearing one can manufacture small metal spheres that are very spherical (in this case it was musket bullets, but it could be ball bearings or something in our world) by sending a drop of molten lead down a tower. As it falls in air, it adopts a spherical shape because the lead/air interface is not energetically favored, and the sphere is the shape that minimizes surface area for a given volume. If the tower is high enough (this one looks about 4 stories tall from the windows on it?), the lead has solidified by the time it hits the ground and you get a nice sphere, better than you would get just molding it. This one could be used for that, with a large vat of molten lead maybe used for other things in the factory, and some of it being piped into the tower for dropping.

Another thing it could be used for is wire drawing, heating up a metal cyllinder and drawing it down to a thin wire. I dunno, I guess there are a lot of things it could be used for, it looks like Kevin had some ideas too with the parts/trash being extracted from there.