The Dark Mod Forums

Dave's Texture Contributions

SneaksieDave

Textures are still slow coming, and I tend towards impatience. ^_^ So, I went and taught myself how to prepare textures for TDM. To my surprise, it's easier than I expected. There's only five so far, but I just started yesterday. These few are a combination of photos I took and one from an online free tex site. Attached is a preview of thumbnails in PSP (can't fit all separately in a post). I like how they came out and I think I've improved with what little time I've been at it (the last one being the fancy tile floor - w00t, even a specular). I'm not "sure" about the stained glass; while gorgeous, it's undeniably Christian and I don't know if that should be in the game for obvious reasons. Funny though, I didn't notice when I was taking the photo, but now in looking at it, I can't help but wonder - did I stumble into a Priory of Sion church? Heh, I dunno, but that glass sure looks like a marriage of two easily identifiable saints on the right, and on the left, later in life, raising a certain saintly daughter.................

Anyway, I assume that due to the reorg in progress at the moment, it would do no good to upload these to CVS. Gildoran, should I get them to you somehow? They have temp names and temp MTRs you can feel free to change of course.

One other thing - what about the donated texture DVD(s)? Are there any current links for that available? The forum search doesn't allow for three letter words, and I'll be damned if I'm going to read through hundreds of posts mentioning "texture." I think spar and NH may have had copies, IIRC. If nothing's currently linked, could you guys put up manageable chunks for download somehow (say 100Mb)? I have no guess as to why either nothing's being done with these (maybe they suck afterall?), or at least no one's submitting or speaking up about it. If I'm wrong, please speak up - keeping progress secret is not only silly but it also misses the (hugely important) opportunity to inspire others. It's all great to say "Hay guys!1 I made 100 new textures! Here they are!" some time next year, but it'd be even better to upload two of them per week for the next year. Anyway, it looks like nothing is going on with them, still, so I'd like to try my hand on some of them. In addition to the bunch I just downloaded, muhahaha.

*dusts hands* Some oil for that cog...

post-58-1149996396_thumb.jpg

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I've brought up the texture DVDs numerous times, but for some reason nothing ever happens.

I think the only way to get them is to get BT to mail you copies.

Yeah, I've brought up the texture DVDs numerous times, but for some reason nothing ever happens.

I think the only way to get them is to get BT to mail you copies.

Shoot, I thought I had posted this.

I had spar upload all the useful textures that BT had sorted off of the DVD to the space Veledan loans me.

http://newhorizon.veledan.com/Textures/Rea...ures.part01.rar

Just keep renumbering the links, right up to 47.

BTW, good job Sneaksie for learning something new. :) When I started the mod I had no idea how to make textures, or reskin models, or import models. If we all keep learning new skills, we'll have a shot at actually completing this thing! ;)

Thanks guys. Maybe I'll try modelling too someday, which frightens me even more than texture creation did, because beside the technicals, that very much seems like an artist's field. Maybe I could make simple stuff, though. Too many incomplete missions over the years finally has me trying other stuff, I guess. It's nice to actually finish something.

I started getting them today, but I think I'm bailing out. It would just take forever to get these, and you need them all before you can even do anything. Why were they spanned? Makes obtaining them much harder. :\

If anyone is willing and puts them up in standalone chunks, say 100Mb of textures shoved into archives, please let me know.

@Sneaksie: You can try out milkshape for modelling. Nice and simple and can export to a hell of a lot of formatts. :)

@NH: With the real textures, I think we should convert those straight to dds, its smaller and we planned to anyway. Plus it won't be a sudden huge bog to the mod.

Gildoran, I made the tiling adjustment you requested on the brick floor. In addition to that, I covered up a few spots on both brick walls for the same purpose. For good measure, I also prepared a new ceiling to go with the rest. They're all uploaded in /textures/sneaksiedave/061606.

There should be a few more coming soon.

post-58-1150497166_thumb.jpg

Actually with the brick wall textures, I don't really have a problem with the spots. The reason I was suggesting making the brick floor more monotonous was because it's only about 2 bricks long, so slight differences are easily recognizable.

Update: I can't get a directory listing of http://208.49.149.118/TheDarkMod/textures/...siedave/061606/ so I'll just try re-downloading the original rar file and see if anything has changed.

Update 2: It seems like you might not have uploaded a new file over the old one, since Firefox still seems to think it's safe to use its cache.

Oh? I was using FTP from a command prompt. Perhaps permissions need changing, let me check.

Edit: hm, no, everything is set as r+x for all users, and I see the fix textures I uploaded. Are you able to try a command prompt to get them? It looks

Could some unix type person verify that privileges are set correctly? I'm not 100% confident on this.

Edit2: oh, and no, the rar hasn't been modified. So far, I've uploaded the rar, and from here out, I'll put them in individual dirs by date of upload.

Edit3: man is this FTP moody. One moment everything works, the next it sits there and hangs.

In the meantime, two more are now up in /061906. The first is a wooden planks one (repetitive tiling in horizontal direction, "board ends" in vertical) and a fancy... erm, wall? Ceiling? Carpet? I don't even know, but it's fancy. Hopefully the wood is useful, with all the time that went into getting it even to look like that. The original was terribly washed out and stark and just fugly. :-\

Let me know if anyone thinks the 'fancy' should have a specular - I didn't want to go overboard.

post-58-1150766238_thumb.jpg