The Dark Mod Forums

...sort Of Added Search Anim

Domarius

As far as I can tell, once I know how to do this, everything will be fine, but untill then, it's going to be a long and painful process learning how to do this.

I added some files to CVS

\def\tdm_ai_citywatch_elite.def

\models\md5\chars\guards\elite_citywatch\search.md5anim

To test load the model, I followed the instructions and typed

testmodel elitecitywatch

notice the absence of underscore - that seems to work, and not elite_citywatch, and not tdm_ai_citywatch_elite either. And I don't know why.

Although I added the search anim in the def file, I can't get it to show up with

nextanim

in the console, only the old ones play.

You could try PMing Oddity--he's the only other person who has worked with the animations, AFAIK.

Okay, first of all, I happened to leave a backup copy of tdm_ai_citywatch_elite in my /defs directory by accident, so it was reading the defs in that copy and then not tracking changes in the defs in the file I was changing. This sounds like it could have happened to you as well, since you were adding anims and not seeing any change in the available list of anims.

When I deleted the copy, it did see the new search anim, but I got the following fatal error:

ERROR: Model 'models/md5/chars/guards/elite_citywatch/elitecitywatchmesh.md5mesh' has different joint hierarchy than anim 'models/md5/chars/guards/elite_citywatch/search.md5anim'

I don't know what that means, maybe you do? It sounds like an animation/rigging problem.

As far as I can tell, once I know how to do this, everything will be fine, but untill then, it's going to be a long and painful process learning how to do this.

I added some files to CVS

\def\tdm_ai_citywatch_elite.def

\models\md5\chars\guards\elite_citywatch\search.md5anim

To test load the model, I followed the instructions and typed

testmodel elitecitywatch

notice the absence of underscore - that seems to work, and not elite_citywatch, and not tdm_ai_citywatch_elite either. And I don't know why.

Although I added the search anim in the def file, I can't get it to show up with

nextanim

in the console, only the old ones play.

If you have messenger, any of you can contact me if you need quicker help. roddity@hotmail.co.uk

Anyway, for this it's hard to say without seeing the def file.

FOr the error Ishtvan got, it means you've changed some of the joints or their order in the model you've been animating. You can't do that with out making a new .md5mesh from it as well, the md5anim and md5mesh have to have identical bones. Then you'll have to re-apply all existing animations for the guard to that changed md5mesh.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Okay I will - he just seemed pretty good with finding threads, so I thought I'd not bother him with a PM initially. BlackTheif has too, so I'll PM him to...

sry I just don't have the time to update CVS right now...have to pack my suitcase now and so I'm in a hurry. (Just wanted to let you know that I didn't ignore your PM)

Thanks guys.

That makes sense oDDity - I was trying to make as few modifications as possible, so I just included the new anim file.

Hm, before I go off on another Maya adventure (I have to leave the house right now anyway), would the fact that I detatched the sword from the hip and re-attatched it to the hand in the search.mb have anything to do with that error?

If so, then I have no idea how to avoid this. In some anims, it needs to be attatched to the hip. In others, the hand.

Well parent / attatch, whatever. Basically I'm thinking the re-parenting is causing the error about the joint heirachy.

It's already parented to the hip. Basically there's this brown wireframe cone coming from the hip effector to the sword effector. (By effector, I mean those wireframe spheres you interact with to rotate the object).

post-10-1152436962_thumb.jpg

When the hip moves, so does the sword. Obviously that's bad when the animation plays, the sword follows the hip movement instead of the hand, and moves through the hand.

I managed to select the hand and the sword and press P (to toggle parenting) and it stuck the sword to the hand, and this brown cone goes away. Then the sword follows the hand fine, but we get this error.

Still can't get the anim to show up!

I commited the new md5anim files for the city watch, to see if you can get it working without the error this time... because I had a chat with oDDity and have attempted to export the anim the correct way this time.

This time I let it export all the new anims and mesh. But ... the textures are messed up, he's at full bright with no normal maps, and its like the back face culling is in reverse for some things - you can see through his chest to the back wall of his back. But we'll sort that out after we get the fricking search animation to show up.

Here is the def file I made (I didn't commit it, cause it breaks things), I bolded the bits I added;

export elitecitywatch {

options -sourcedir models/mymodels/elitecitymbs -destdir models/md5/chars/guards/elite_citywatch

mesh stance.mb -dest elitecitywatchmesh

anim af_pose.mb

anim walk.mb

anim jog.mb -dest run

anim look.mb -dest look_around

anim drawsword.mb

anim idle.mb

anim whack.mb -dest attack

anim idlwtsword.mb -dest idle_sword

anim search.mb

}

model elitecitywatch {

mesh models/md5/chars/guards/elite_citywatch/elitecitywatchmesh.md5mesh

channel torso ( *Spine1 )

channel legs ( *origin -*Spine1 )

anim af_pose models/md5/chars/guards/elite_citywatch/af_pose.md5anim

anim walk models/md5/chars/guards/elite_citywatch/walk.md5anim {

frame 10 footstep

frame 28 footstep

}

anim run models/md5/chars/guards/elite_citywatch/run.md5anim {

frame 11 footstep

frame 20 footstep

}

anim search models/md5/chars/guards/elite_citywatch/search.md5anim {

frame 11 footstep

frame 20 footstep

}

anim idle models/md5/chars/guards/elite_citywatch/idle.md5anim

anim draw models/md5/chars/guards/elite_citywatch/drawsword.md5anim {

frame 16 sound_weapon snd_drawsword

}

anim look_around models/md5/chars/guards/elite_citywatch/look_around.md5anim

anim melee_attack models/md5/chars/guards/elite_citywatch/attack.md5anim {

frame 18 melee melee_sword_rswing_base

}

anim idle_sword models/md5/chars/guards/elite_citywatch/idle_sword.md5anim

}

entityDef atdm:ai_citywatch_elite

{

"inherit" "atdm:ai_humanoid"

"ragdoll" "guard_base"

"model" "elitecitywatch"

"size" "48 48 68"

"use_aas" "aas48"

"team" "1"

"rank" "0"

"health" "100"

"melee_range" "74"

"anim" "idle"

"attack_cone" "70"

"attack_accuracy" "0"

"mass" "200"

"draws_weapon" "1"

"eye_height" "83"

"look_min" "-90 -125 0"

"look_max" "25 125 0"

"look_joint Waist" "0.4 0.4 0"

"look_joint Head" "0.6 0.6 0"

// cannot be KO'd

"ko_zone" ""

"chatter_min" "3"

"chatter_max" "4"

"chatter_combat_min" "2"

"chatter_combat_max" "2"

"ik_numLegs" "2"

"ik_footSize" "4"

"ik_waist" "Body"

"ik_hip1" "Lupleg"

"ik_hip2" "Rupleg"

"ik_knee1" "Lloleg"

"ik_knee2" "Rloleg"

"ik_ankle1" "Lankle_r"

"ik_ankle2" "Rankle_r"

"ik_dir1" "Lknee"

"ik_dir2" "Rknee"

"ik_foot1" "Lball_r"

"ik_foot2" "Rball_r"

"damage_zone chest" "*Waist -*loneckcontrol"

"damage_zone left_arm" "*Luparm"

"damage_zone right_arm" "*Ruparm"

"damage_zone legs" "*Hips origin Body2"

"damage_scale head" "3"

"damage_scale chest" "1"

"damage_scale left_arm" "0.2"

"damage_scale right_arm" "0.2"

"damage_scale legs" "0.3"

"snd_drawsword" "sword_unsheath"

}

• 2 weeks later...

I see the animation is now available, but the AI don't actually seem to be using it. Does something need to be added to a def file somewhere?

I see the animation is now available, but the AI don't actually seem to be using it. Does something need to be added to a def file somewhere?

Actually it seems they use it only a little bit before walking around like idiots. I saw it for only fraction of a second