The Dark Mod Forums

Spider Model

Springheel

Back to trying to figure out Odd's spider model. It currently has a flat, default diffusemap. The bumpmap is visible below, with the uv-map overlayed so you can see how things line up (I had to manually resize it to get it to fit).

For some reason in the editor, however, I get this:

The light is coming from the left, yet the left side of the body is black and the right is lit up. Any idea what might be going on here?

spider2.jpg

post-9-1161823078_thumb.jpg

I'll try that, but it would have to be a pretty severe problem to make half the spider not reflect light, wouldn't it?

That looks like a problem we had with the light gem initially. I think it's something to do with smoothing being enabled on the model or something.

Yeah - screwed smoothing. Not sure if it's the same issue but it sure as hell looks like it

I don't know. Odd created a number of mb files for it already, so I thought if I could create a texture for it we could get it in game with minimal fuss. But apparently it's not ready for a texture yet, and I don't have the expertise to get it ready, so I'll have to leave that until someone else can look at it.

I think Odd said it was...I was able to get a grid that looked like a uv-map to me, though I'm not an expert.

Isn't this a uvmap?

post-9-1162258198_thumb.jpg

I think Odd said it was...I was able to get a grid that looked like a uv-map to me, though I'm not an expert.

Isn't this a uvmap?

Even though the end result of oDD's models look great, the uvw maps are horrendous. I'd sooner remap it :rolleyes: Besides that picture does not match the normal map in his files.

Yeah, the problem is that the normal map isn't the right size. I have no idea why. I was trying to resize it manually but that doesn't appear to be working.

Here's where I first asked Odd about it:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?showt...9&hl=spider

Where did you get that spider normal map from? THe spider_local.tga in my rar files is not the same as that. Take the one from the rar files, fill the grey in with the same blue as in that one, and it will work fine.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

For what purpose? The idea of a giant spider is ridiculous anyway, they wouldn't work for many reasons, so there's no point pedantically bringing up any argument involving the legs needing to be thicker at a larger scale.

Still, you're welcome to model a new one, I didn't spend a whole lot of time on this low poly version. Iintedned to do most of the work wiht textyres, and make it hairy with alpha transparency hairy squares all over it.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Take the one from the rar files, fill the grey in with the same blue as in that one, and it will work fine.

I did take that one, but it didn't line up with the uvmap, if you remember. I resized it in an attempt to make it match up, but I don't think I've had much success.