The Dark Mod Forums

Menu Update

Springheel

I've been working on getting the mission_failure gui closer to complete. I want to upload what I've got. The following have been updated:

skull has been straightened and sped up

text replaced with Carelton font images

chain animation tweaked

'fog' effect added

The following is still to do:

button sounds not working for some reason (see other thread)

'fog' needs some tweaking

Statistics button doesn't function currently

You can test the new screen by typing testgui guis/restart.gui in the console, or by loading a map and dying. :)

I've also updated the splash screen. I've made some modifications to Pak's original design, replacing the trees with some more urban images, including an iconographic streetlamp. I personally think it suits the feel of the mod better, since we don't have the same kind of 'city vs nature' theme that the original Thief series did. I still have the original if people prefer it, however.

The clock in the center is just a placeholder at the moment. Our original plan was to have an animated clock there, but the spash screen is hard-coded and it doesn't look like we'll be able to do that. I think what will probably happen is that the splash screen, sans clock, will play for a few seconds and then the clock will fade into the screen and animate at the point where the Id movie currently plays.

It's possible I still might be able to animate it with a texture, but I doubt it.

We are also unable to replace the neon blue D3 "initialize menus" text at the beginning, but I was able to turn it off.

(the splash screen also plays during the loading sequence, but there we will be able to have a moving clock)

Hoping to try it out soon, just having issues getting synced up with CVS.

Strange, I was able to upload easily, but I've been sitting around waiting to download for five minutes or so.

The launch graphic might need brighter edges for those poor saps, like me, who have lcd screens. The lcd monitors adjust to the blackness on the screen & if any of the borders are black, then the screen will position itself according to that. Thus the bottom of my screen usually ends up in the middle. This doesn't happen with images with brighter borders.

The mission_failure is pretty cool B) The only menu item not working is the mission statistics.

The launch graphic might need brighter edges

Sorry, can't do anything about that. There's some kind of mask applied automatically to the splash gui that darkens the edges. What are you doing playing stealth games on a LCD monitor anyway? ;)

Sorry, can't do anything about that. There's some kind of mask applied automatically to the splash gui that darkens the edges. What are you doing playing stealth games on a LCD monitor anyway? ;)

Just add a border to launch.tga :blink: I had a replacement launch screen for a while & it did not add any mask.

& lcd is working quite well due to decent calibration. For more info go here:

http://www.photoscientia.co.uk/Gamma.htm

I've had no issues with the so-called "true black" arguments against lcds. No glares or refelections but minor angle issues, no motion blurs, & this is an acer al1715.

That sounds great. I'm guessing you already knew that mission_failure.gui was a more up to date version of the restart.gui, but without the menus, right? For some reason it never got merged into restart.gui.

Speaking of GUIs, what's the current plan for the Objectives & Map gui? The last status I recall is that maps were going to be inventory items that you call up by using them instead of hitting a separate key, and objectives might be off of the main menu GUI?

The reason I ask is for trying to code objectives to talk to the GUI. Napalm made this objectives GUI that we can use, but I don't know if it's going to be brought up in a separate GUI that's brought up with a specific key (like the D3 PDA), or if it's going to be part of the main menu?

Just add a border to launch.tga

So you're saying any screen with black edges messes up your monitor? That's bizarre...wouldn't you have that problem with a lot of games?

How much of a bright border needs to be added? All of our menu guis use the same background, so I'm hesitant to make any major changes to it. If it's just straight black that's the problem I can probably lighten it slightly.

So you're saying any screen with black edges messes up your monitor? That's bizarre...wouldn't you have that problem with a lot of games?
Yup, this is a great monitor but when the resolution changes it automatically adjusts the screen placement. The problem is when it does, it has a large, opaque overlay that gets in the way :angry:

How much of a bright border needs to be added? All of our menu guis use the same background, so I'm hesitant to make any major changes to it. If it's just straight black that's the problem I can probably lighten it slightly.
It doesn't have to be big at all. It only needs just some lighter colors near the corners. I already added a border on my copy so I wouldn't have a problem.

I only need it for the launching. It can be as black you want for the other guis. It only needs to adjust screen placement when it first loads.

Does it need to be brighter all the way around, or is it okay if just part of the edge is brighter?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I've uploaded the mission_success screen to CVS. You can test it from the gui editor...for some reason when you test it with the console it just plays the last effect, which is the black screen.