The Dark Mod Forums

Compass Model?

ascottk

compass styles  

3 members have voted

1. 1. How do we want the compass to look?

• Compass 1 (100thpenn)
    • Compass 2 (pewter)
    • Compass 3 (smartstart)
    • Compass 4 (stanley)
    • gallery.hd
    • qpindia

Personally, I prefer something realistic like those images, but one thing some people had requested was a compass that pitched as the character looked up and down, which is hard to do with a realistic compass (when it goes sideways you can't see anything). Drumple had a T2 version of the compass already completed and it apparently worked--should be in his T2 HUD.pk4

I wonder if we could do a combination of sorts? Instead of the simple purple/red star of the T2 compass, make it look more like an actual compass--something like the image below, but double-sided, so it can still pitch forward and back.

post-9-1165791348_thumb.jpg

Personally, I prefer something realistic like those images, but one thing some people had requested was a compass that pitched as the character looked up and down, which is hard to do with a realistic compass (when it goes sideways you can't see anything). Drumple had a T2 version of the compass already completed and it apparently worked--should be in his T2 HUD.pk4

I wonder if we could do a combination of sorts? Instead of the simple purple/red star of the T2 compass, make it look more like an actual compass--something like the image below, but double-sided, so it can still pitch forward and back.

Gil has a rough & working compass image that rotates & pitches as you look around. It's on test_inventory.map (the model is one of the potion bottles on the floor). It works very well.

Gil has a rough & working compass image that rotates & pitches as you look around. It's on test_inventory.map (the model is one of the potion bottles on the floor). It works very well.

Yes, it really does. For some reason, while I was testing out picking up the inventory lantern, I had the best time just running around that simple room, firing arrows and swirling around with that compass. Ha.

I'm pretty sure we could do it with a double sided image. The compass in that inventory test doesn't pitch too far...so maybe it wouldn't even need to be double sided. I like realistic too...but something inbetween like Spring posted would be fine too.

It would have to be 3d to satisfy the pitch crowd. I wasn't suggesting it had to look exactly like that, but something with a circular area that looks more compasslike. Here's another, somewhat darker, possibility:

(btw, if we made the compass a realistic model instead, we could also use it as a prop item--something to consider)

post-9-1165798579_thumb.jpg

Lookin' good. Is the outline around the candle there on purpose?

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Those look good. You might want to get Gil's input--he wanted to be involved in the design of the icons last time I brought it up.

@Ascottk: Those icons look great!

One thing that I think needs to be tweaked is that the potion icons need to be be fully opaque, at least for the metal end-caps. (any transparency should be due to the tdm_inv_opacity cvar)

The reason I'm interested in working with inventory icons, is because I'd like to experiment with subtle animations, just to see how they look. (though I expect the Thief crowed would get annoyed if they were too obvious) For example, you know how the in-game potions ripple? We could have the potion icons subtly ripple in a similar fashion. Also, if we set up the materials right, we could provide a way for mappers to create arbitrarily colored potions without needing to add assets.

@NewHorizon:

I'm pretty sure we could do it with a double sided image. The compass in that inventory test doesn't pitch too far...so maybe it wouldn't even need to be double sided. I like realistic too...but something inbetween like Spring posted would be fine too.
The reason it doesn't pitch much is because it's just a flat 2D icon that distorts itself to pretend to be 3D (like how old SNES games used mode7 scaling to simulate 3D views) and if it pitches too much the illusion becomes obvious. I made it that way to avoid using a 3D model, so the inventory GUI wouldn't need special code to handle the compass. (which could make it more complicated) In fact the compass is sort of intended to illustrate the power the inventory code will hopefully give mappers - the compass uses no special code at all, so a mapper could have designed it as an item for their map without needing to modify the SDK, HUD or any existing assets. They'd only need to create some new images and write a script.

Edit: Actually, it might be possible to make an improved compass icon that would allow for full pitching...

@Ascottk: Those icons look great!

One thing that I think needs to be tweaked is that the potion icons need to be be fully opaque, at least for the metal end-caps. (any transparency should be due to the tdm_inv_opacity cvar)

The reason I'm interested in working with inventory icons, is because I'd like to experiment with subtle animations, just to see how they look. (though I expect the Thief crowed would get annoyed if they were too obvious) For example, you know how the in-game potions ripple? We could have the potion icons subtly ripple in a similar fashion. Also, if we set up the materials right, we could provide a way for mappers to create arbitrarily colored potions without needing to add assets.

Thanks, Gil. They're on cvs so they can be changed any time. Those old ones were just sitting around & they were bugging me :blink:

That would be great if we had those material effects but subtlety is definitely keyword for those. If it was too much it'd be distracting.

The reason it doesn't pitch much is because it's just a flat 2D icon that distorts itself to pretend to be 3D

About the compass--do you think your pitch method would work with a more realistic compass model, like the ones Ascottk posted above? If so maybe we could have the best of both worlds.

Maybe it would be worth trying it with something like #1 and see if it works. I think everyone would agree that a realistic-looking compass is better, and if we can get it to pitch, that should satisfy everyone.

What problems are you running into when it comes to using a model for the compass? Drumples hud mod used a model for the compass, perhaps you could borrow the settings you need from there? It also used low poly rotating models for the weapon icons. I understand we're using textures for the actual icons...but the ability is there. :) Having the compass as a fully 3d model would definitely look better and allow us to better tweak it.

Here is the link to drump's t2style hud mod. It throws and error right now, and I'm not sure how to fix it...but it should be fixable.

http://208.49.149.118/TheDarkMod/T2StyleHudMod.pk4

The reason I avoided using a model, is because you can't switch models on the fly. The model that's used has to be hard-coded into the GUI. The way Drumple's code works, is the GUI has a renderDef for each item and weapon. It's not modular at all... If a user wants their own item to have a model, they have to add in more special code to the HUD. I'd have to write a bunch of extra special-case GUI code to detect when the compass is selected, and display the compass then, rather than just relying on general purpose item code.

Edit: Though maybe the GUI overlay might be usable to solve this problem, because an individual model could reside on a separate GUI that only contains the renderdef, rather than have all the special-case code be built into the HUD.

Gil: for the life of me, I've been trying to remember why we are using images instead of models in inventory in the first place, for two days now. I searched, I concentrated, I browsed design docs, but I haven't found it and can't remember. Does what you said about the compass above apply to all models in inventory, then? Is it coded poorly, so that models can't be dynamically changed, or is that just a D3 GUI limitation, or...? It's a shame, because a modder could just drop whatever model they want into inventory and have it appear, rather than having to make a bunch of images.

I know, we've been over this before. Sorry, my memory is non-parity.