The Dark Mod Forums

Illustrations & Concepts

Redface

How about those wallpapers for the mod ? Got some screenshots I can use? What I'd like to do is take a screenshot and basicly paint over it - modify the location, add details, atmosphere, remove the sterile render look etc.

Dram, Jdude? Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to take some of those sceenshots! :wub:

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mostly only keep track of my fellow programmers, and a few admins, like Springheel. I remember Dram and Jdude because of their awesome maps--ones that look very finished, very polished. I have no clue how the current iteration of your map is looking. There might be a lot of good material for Redface, there might not.

The same goes for the rest of the mappers. Bob_arctor probably has some good stuff, for example. I don't know. I haven't really gotten a good idea of what's going on in anyone's maps, besides the aforementioned. Anyone else, I can only judge by the often rare screenshots they provide (like Spitter). The matter simply is that I know from personal experience that Dram and Jdude have great stuff going on--great fodder for Redface. Everyone else I'll have to leave to their own judgement, and that includes you.

Edit: this would probably be much more intelligible if people weren't talking loudly right next to me. <_<

Nyarlathotep i was just kidden, :P no problem at all. In fact sometimes i thing my all plan to help the team its not working at all, i have some frustration because of that, i really like to involve deep in the project, but the time to do it is allways so limited that some times i think how easy where if i just left, but at this age i dont think i will have another chance like this to make part of a such great project like this one. Unless the team put me out i will never give up.

Edit:Sometimes we just need to say whats going inside us.

By the way Dram, opened your map yesterday, hadn't realised SVN added it, to be frank I hate you :P.

Stupid talent!

It actually brings D3ed to a halt though. You must have a damn good PC.

Thanks lol

Yeah my pc is on the upper range. Though it does go at about 5fps in the editor if I face the whole map. Which is why I hide most of it except for what I'm working on.

My pc stats are:

2gb DDR2 667MHz RAM

GF8800 GTS 640mb version

Intel E4300 Core2 Duo CPU

Dram, looks awesome as always! :wub:

Are the caustics gone? I'm trying to load it up now, but have no idea how long that'll take. ;) Even if you didn't include them in the map, they looked great from your previous set of shots, and I'd be interested to see what you came up with. It's funny that I recently found out Tomb Raider: Legend uses the very thing I was trying (unsuccessfully as of yet) to do for its non-next-gen mode caustics - two or more layers of wispy weblike lines, panning at 90 degrees to each other, so it can definitely work.

Edit: Ah, looks like the caustics are there (just looking at them in the start area*). It looks like a single layer, undulating. We should also try two layers crisscrossing, or even undulating like that, should work nicely.

*because I only have 2 FPS. In the console there are infinite AI can't find path corner messages, and assuming that was at least partially the culprit, I killed everyone (console: killmonsters), and then my framerate went up to 7 FPS, so that's at least part of the problem.

Edit2: omfg. :wub:

Edit3: After trying to read the book on the desk in the library, I lost the ability to frob, hold weapons, or anything with hands. Succeeded in suiciding (to start over and not have to reload the whole map again - took forever), but then Doom3 crashed. I'll have to try again later, gotta run out and it takes my system too long to load.

Erm, I guess the last handful of posts should probably be moved to the mansion thread, and out of Redface's concepts thread. ;)

Edit3: After trying to read the book on the desk in the library, I lost the ability to frob, hold weapons, or anything with hands. Succeeded in suiciding (to start over and not have to reload the whole map again - took forever), but then Doom3 crashed. I'll have to try again later, gotta run out and it takes my system too long to load.

Make a bug report if you haven't already. It sounds like readables or the grabber or something is setting the frob immobilization and lowering the weapon and not un-setting it properly afterwards.

@Dram: Are you sure all your pathnodes are in free space and not stuck in the floor or inside patches or something?

Succeeded in suiciding (to start over and not have to reload the whole map again - took forever)

Isn't there a reloadMap console command (or similar)?

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Probably, but I was in fullscreen, so I couldn't alt-tab away to look it up. Also, when every action from opening a new door to clipping into the wall a bit in noclip mode (thus destroying PVS) takes anywhere from 15-60+ seconds of HD thrashing, you're very careful about things. :) I wanted to do a quickload (which is almost instant) but obviously couldn't, and I wasn't sure under what circumstances (death, the map command, something like reloadmap, etc) I'd get a whole new reload versus quickload style. It takes almost 10 minutes just to load the map, and well... I've made the mistake of killing the build or load process part-way through before. Ouch. After that, the system MUST be rebooted, because the HD thrashing goes on and on for each and every desktop action (e.g., opening notepad) until I do.

Sigh, this system's old.

You should probably recompile the map. When I ran the model_rename script on the map, I recompiled in Linux and got the same problem (I uploaded before I noticed). When I recompiled in Windows (just for the hell of it), it mysteriously disappeared. I don't know for certain, but I think it has to do with how the LAS is being compiled in Linux.

Besides, I can't run D3 at resolutions above 1280x1024 (stupid monitor).

Oh noes, the horror!

I'm not sure why you would ever want a screenshot greater than 1280x1024, but if you do you can use "screenshot x_size y_size" at the console. The screenshot size is not actually related to the display resolution. (DISCLAIMER: I have never actually taken a screenshot greater than 1024x768 -- since I believe it does a render-to-texture, there may well be an upper limit).

• 5 months later...

I'm back. Well, kind of. :blush:

I've been really busy last year and most of my work as an artist was commisioned, thus the lack of updates in here. However, I'd really like to find the time and do something for the mod this year. Stuff, that would actually get into the project itself. Perhaps some menu or loading screen art ?

Here's a little something I made yesterday.

cellar.jpg