The Dark Mod Forums

Goblet

DeepOmega

Goblet is complete and on FTP as ASE. As usual, is 1 ASE, 1 normal map, 1 UV map. Screenshots:

GlobetNormalRender.jpg

Shot from 3DS, with the normal map as a visible diffuse texture.

GlobetNormalRender2.jpg

Shot in ATI's normal map viewing program.

Normal probly can use a little cleaning up, but it's all good.

Edit: Updated the normal map, cleaned it up a bit. Here's the new ATI shot:

GlobetNormalRender3.jpg

I just replaced the version on the server, so redownload as necessary.

Edit 2: Seriously. Done now. Final change. Once again, replaced it on the server. =P

GlobetNormalRender4.jpg

Edit 3: Last changes for the night. Realized the gem was looking curved, when it should be.. sharp, I guess. Last changes for now. Will probly make another version which matches the GimG's concept more, but not immediately.

Edited by DeepOmega

Done another goblet. I should sleep, but I'm on a roll. Whee! Is on FTP, naturally, as GobletB. I renamed all the first ones GobletA.

GobletBNormalRender1.jpg

I'd like to have a crack at texturing these babies, if nobody minds, so I'll try that tomorrow.

Edit: I may redo the UVing, in which case, consider this a teaser. It's a bit unbalanced towards the top right now, leaving the gems a bit sad.

Edit 2: Um, surprise, still no sleep so I redid UVs, rerendered to normal, etc. FTP has been updated once more.

GobletBNormalRender2.jpg

Edited by DeepOmega

Done another goblet. I should sleep, but I'm on a roll. Whee! Is on FTP, naturally, as GobletB. I renamed all the first ones GobletA.

I know what you mean. I also can't sleep when I'm on the SDK. :)

If you texture this stuff do you know how to get it in-game? I know how to do this, but I don't know how to apply the normalmaps, so I usually do only the colour map.

Gerhard

Looks great! We should probably have at least one loot texture and non-loot texture for each one.

Loot texture is on the FTP. Can someone give this a go in game? I'm off the bed at the moment.

Edit: this is gonna get pulled down to 256x256 later, but for now, leave it as is. I figure a 256x256 diffuse and normal, and then a 128x128 specular.

Edited by DeepOmega

I was just thinking, a good trick to get the base of the goblet (or other items) looking round without using more polys, would be to make it a flat square with a circular alpha.

The normal map alone should suffice to give it that raised, curved 3d feel.

You'd have a perfectly round goblet base, and only use 2 polys.

Pick holes in that theory, if you can. :ph34r:

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

You'd have a perfectly round goblet base, and only use 2 polys.

Pick holes in that theory, if you can. :ph34r:

That sounds like a very good idea. :) How do you man to attach that though. D3 can't render doublesided single polygons IMO. But still, even if you use a small cube it would be much less polygons than a real circle would use.

Gerhard

Isn't there a toggle to make textures double sided like in UT? (and in the serious editor for that matter, you could actually make polys doublesided, invisible etc on a suface by surafce basis, which was supremely handy)

edit: YOu wouldn't even need a cube, just copy and paste the first square and flip it's normal. You'd still ionly use 4 polys and get a perfect circle.

Edited by oDDity

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Isn't there a toggle to make textures double sided like in UT? (and in the serious editor for that matter, you could actually make polys doublesided, invisible etc on a suface by surafce basis, which was supremely handy)

Maybe I have to retest this. I just remembered that I got this errormessages because I only flipped the normal and hadn't ha ddoublesided polys. But I have to verify this. I seem to remember that D3 wont render such objects. Should be pretty easy to test though.

edit: YOu wouldn't even need a cube, just copy and paste the first square and flip it's normal. You'd still ionly use 4 polys and get a perfect circle.

But this way you still would have two singlesided polys if I understand you correct. So if D3 wont render this, then this wouldn't help because it needs solid surfaces.

Gerhard

Of course it will render a flat one sided poly (all polys are like this, it's just thast you usually can't see the invisible side because of other bits of te model getting in the way), but you'll only see it from one side, that's all. If you copy and flip it, you'll be able to see it from both sides.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Of course it will render a flat one sided poly (all polys are like this, it's just thast you usually can't see the invisible side because of other bits of te model getting in the way), but you'll only see it from one side, that's all. If you copy and flip it, you'll be able to see it from both sides.

I seem to remember that D3 doesn't allow such polys. They all have to be in a model. That's why youl shouldn't create a plate that is just one poly thick. But I will test this to make sure if that is indeed so or if single doublesided polys cause an error.

Gerhard