The Dark Mod Forums

Quark: Map Editor

Another Quake/ Doom 3 editor.

Not sure what it's written in, but it looks like it has some interesting features.

http://holodeck.st.usm.edu/vrcomputing/vrc...itor/index.html

May be worth a look to see if we could get any future usability ideas from it.

I think they have a pretty robust realtime 3D render window going on in it too.

This doesn't seem to support Doom3 (just Quake, Quake II and Half-Life). In terms of features there is probably not much we can adapt, but maybe it has some useful ideas in there.

This doesn't seem to support Doom3 (just Quake, Quake II and Half-Life). In terms of features there is probably not much we can adapt, but maybe it has some useful ideas in there.

The game packs for the current beta aren't up yet, but previous versions did support doom 3...or they plan to. :) I installed it to give it a whirl, and doom 3 is in the list of games.

post-3-1179153248_thumb.jpg

Even though the game pack isn't there to tell Quark what to do, the menu items are semi functional. They have the option to dmap and some others. Basically just telling D3 to start from the menu.

The list of supported games at startup.

post-3-1179153457_thumb.jpg

Like you said, could be some cool ideas from this one.

At the very least, it would be interesting to see how they dispatch the "dmap" command to Doom 3.

Yep, that's what I was thinking. There is also some open source doom 3 BSP tool, but the site for that tool is being redesigned, and the author has failed to post the damn file anywhere else. Gah.

I don't know how this editor looks like now but it was my first real 3D game editor I gave a try long while ago (after playing some time with Doom 2 and Hexen editors :) ) and I really liked it. In one or two days with no experience with similar map editors I was able to make some multistorey building with complex staircase and some ruined and flooded cellar area. It was very intuitive, shortly speaking. The thing I liked most was brush grouping system - it worked exactly like folder tree structure on HDD. You were also able to name every brush and group (AFAIR) and easily select whole group, drag one group into another or copy and so on. That's the thing you could take a look when you'll be ready to try implementing grouping system for DR.

I don't know how this editor looks like now but it was my first real 3D game editor I gave a try long while ago (after playing some time with Doom 2 and Hexen editors :) ) and I really liked it. In one or two days with no experience with similar map editors I was able to make some multistorey building with complex staircase and some ruined and flooded cellar area. It was very intuitive, shortly speaking. The thing I liked most was brush grouping system - it worked exactly like folder tree structure on HDD. You were also able no name every brush and group (AFAIR) and easly select whole group, drag one group into another or copy and so on. That's the thing you could take a look when you'll be ready to try implementing grouping system for DR.

Yeah, in the short time I've been looking at it...it certainly does seem to be fairly user friendly. There are likely some great ideas. It's open source, so we can definitely take a look.

And for your next trick, you must cut down the tallest tree in the forest... with... a... herring!

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.