The Dark Mod Forums

Broken Sorrows...sorry Arrows Wip

TYROT

Sometimes missing the mark made it seem more realistic.  I'm game for no targeting system.  Anyone else in?  I think it's worth a shot.

Sometimes missing the shot is not a problem of the target help. :) The arrow would have to have an random effect to it, so it will not always precisly fly the same curve like a computer arrow would.

I still think we should keep the 'arrow zoom in effect' that occurs after pulling the arrow back for a couple seconds, though.  I liked that.

If we have no targeting system, then I think the automatic zoom in may be make aiming even harder. Because you would have to learn two different views for aiming.

Edit: When aiming with the bow, the arrow can also be used as a target help. That's how I did it anyway. :)

Gerhard

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

BTW we really have to ask to Sparhawk. He may lead us to the light....because he said he was using arrows....

That was quite some time ago. :)

When I did this I always used the arrow for aiming. After all, it's straight in front of your eyes almost where the corsshair would be. It's not as if you shoot a bow from the hip, as it might sometimes shown in a bad movie. You always have to lift the bow with the arrow in about shoulderheight. Just look at the marksman shootings for olympics.

Gerhard

Springheel point out so clearly, our Thief is mainly relying on Arrows.. so he is an archer..

Not really, but also. It also depends on the playstyle. I use the bow mainly for water arrows and there the distance doesn't need to be so big, most of the time.

We can make this process so easy..I mean We dont have to put a crosshair overthere...let say the top of the arrow shows the target.. I mean Thats what i wanna learn..To where you are looking at that bow.. ?

Whent he bow is drawn up at should height it should be enough in the screen that the tip of the arrow points to where the player will hit. Of course that depends on the distance as well.

And second... just an idea.. Probably wind is so important in terms of arrows way..

Should we consider this in outside levels too.. I mean ...distance... all those curvy shootings..

I don't know if wind won't make it to hard. After all, we would need a visual indicator for the wind. The problem is that we can't code all this realism stuff without any indicators. Normally your body would recognize such things, but we don't have that in a game.

I felt little fear about all of these factors. Again we are not making archer simulation game..We are only trying to improve The FUN factor..and make the gamers life more hard but not making him pissed off..

I dont know we can put some auto aim option in preferences....

No. I wouldn't do that. Auto aim is crap. The player has to learn how to aim and if he is farther away he will need to raise the bow higher for the curve. That's it. I don't think we should add anything else. And I definitely don't want to see a modern compund bow. :) I hate these things.

Gerhard

And that is exactly the problem with our bow in game. :) We don't have that body and it would be quite hard for a player to learn it. Of course you can always play around with it, and still learn it, but the question is, will our audience accept this?

Who cares if they like it. We're making the game, so we should lead the horse instead of letting it lead us. All this 'yeah but the gamers expect this, and gamers expect that' is exactly what leads to stagnation and the current crop of generic titles that roll off the production line every day.

We should, first and foremost make this game for ourselves, not some 'average gamer'.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

dear SPARHAWK :)

Ok . i got it..I will cut my hands..:) :) how did i write AUTOAIM..i have sinned father...i have sinned..

I hate autoaim too.I mean .. I never used it... i never will... But i was just trying to give an option.. .:)

mmm So as an old ARCHER what do you suggest? Should we keep or remove the aiming device and crosshair..?

best...

I'm all for making aiming a little more difficult, especially at a distance. In T3, arrows were far too easy to use. I could run around levels taking guards out with arrows at distances where they couldn't even see me yet.

So I'd support leaving the crosshair thing off for now. We can always add it later if need be. Personally, I'd like to get rid of the zoom as well.

I think we should limit the strength of the bow. Since it is short it shouldn't shoot that far anyway, and it will stop the player from taking things out from too far away.

I'd also like to avoid the 'backpedal while firing' method that made it so easy to take guards out in T3. Even if they were alerted, you fired once, started backpedling, and often could get in two or three more arrows before they got close enough to hit you. Frequently that was enough to kill them.

You probably should have to be standing still to draw an arrow, and perhaps we can make the knocking and drawing slower. We're not Legolas.

Uh oh, I think you're getting a little too realistic for my tastes, Springheel :P I much enjoyed launching arrows across courtyards to take guards out from long distances. It was fun to draw the arrow back, aim high and hope you hit the dude from 200 feet (or whatever) away. That kind've stuff is fun for me in games. And I don't want to have to wait forever for the arrow to be drawn, etc. Taking everything away and making it a pure bow & arrow sim doesn't sound fun for me. As with most things, though, it all comes down to actually trying it. But on the surface, I don't think I'd like it.

Uh oh, I think you're getting a little too realistic for my tastes, Springheel :P I much enjoyed launching arrows across courtyards to take guards out from long distances. It was fun to draw the arrow back, aim high and hope you hit the dude from 200 feet (or whatever) away. That kind've stuff is fun for me in games. And I don't want to have to wait forever for the arrow to be drawn, etc. Taking everything away and making it a pure bow & arrow sim doesn't sound fun for me. As with most things, though, it all comes down to actually trying it. But on the surface, I don't think I'd like it.

I think the speed I slowed the arrow drawing down to in the Minimalist Project would be fine. Before that it was almost like a chain gun. ;) Well, maybe not that bad, but faster than it should have been.

I trust your judgment, New Horizon. I have to be honest: I haven't yet tried your Minimalist project. But based on everything I saw you did, I have confidence your arrow knocking (?) change was a change for the better. I don't want a chain gun for the bow and arrow system. LASER targeting would be nice, but not a chain gun. HAHAHAHA, kidding about the LASER ;)

Why did I never try your Minimalist project? I think I had already pretty much beaten the game by the time your project came out, and I had already installed John P's "no arrow trail" fix and had tweaked the loot glint and Garrett's face myself, so I didn't want to mess any of that up. And there wasn't enough replay value in the game for me to want to play it again.

If I re-install T3 in the future, I'll be sure to load the Minimalist project.