The Dark Mod Forums

old_worn_greybrick broke?

Fidcal

There's an error in one of the material files. In tdm_stone_brick.mtr the def for..

textures/darkmod/stone/brick/tiling_1d/old_worn_greybrick

the diffuse map I think should be...

textures/darkmod/stone/brick/tiling_1d/old_worn_greybrick_tiling_1d

...and I presume the def name too. The dds file is there. But when I tried changing the def then I get a leak so it's beyond my understanding at the moment! Can someone fix this for me? It appears OK in Dark Radiant, the ed tga version is OK.

the diffuse map I think should be...

The filename would either have the name extension (tiling_1d) OR be in a tiling_1d folder, but not both. I think it's the former.

Yes, that fixed it thanks - it was the folder. Should I commit this? This is the original...

{
stone

qer_editorimage textures/darkmod/stone/brick/old_worn_greybrick_ed_tiling_1d
bumpmap		 textures/darkmod/stone/brick/old_worn_greybrick_local_tiling_1d
diffusemap	  textures/darkmod/stone/brick/tiling_1d/old_worn_greybrick

{
	if ( parm11 > 0 )
	blend	   gl_dst_color, gl_one
	map		 _white
	rgb		 0.40 * parm11
}
{
	if ( parm11 > 0 )
	blend	   add
	map		 textures/darkmod/stone/brick/tiling_1d/old_worn_greybrick
	rgb		 0.15 * parm11
}
}

This is my changed version......

// Author: Gleeful
textures/darkmod/stone/brick/old_worn_greybrick_tiling_1d
{
stone

diffusemap	  textures/darkmod/stone/brick/old_worn_greybrick_tiling_1d
{
	if ( parm11 > 0 )
	map		 _white
	rgb		 0.40 * parm11
}
{
	if ( parm11 > 0 )
	blend	   add
	map		 textures/darkmod/stone/brick/old_worn_greybrick_tiling_1d
	rgb		 0.15 * parm11
}

Don't change the actual name of the material. The material name includes /tiling_1d/ so that the texture will be organized in a 'tiling_1d' folder by DR.

You can commit the change to the actual diffusemap filepath, however, thanks.

OK - I think the top line is the material name? Changed it to...

But that broke it again. Next tried...

But that fails also. Shader not found. Should I create a folder and move the dds file in there. And if so, should I change its name from

old_worn_greybrick_tiling_1d.dds to old_worn_greybrick.dds

I don't know what you mean. If the texture paths are correct, then the shader will work properly, regardless of what the name of it is. You might get a shader not found error if your map points to a different name than the one on the material entry, but that's the map's fault.

The diffusemap was wrong (as Fidcal reported in the first post),

Right, but that shouldn't have any affect on the material name.

OK now. What happened was that the old path still showed in DR (presumably because it was still on the brush) and the new folder was right at the end under T and I had assumed the Windows convention and was looking at the start. Now committing the new material file...

Error: Commit failed (details follow):

Error: Your file or directory 'tdm_stone_brick.mtr' is probably out-of-date

Error: The version resource does not correspond to the resource within the transaction. Either the requested version resource is out of date (needs to be updated), or the requested version resource is newer than the transaction root (restart the commit).

Nothing is easy :)

The commit failed, because I uploaded the corrected file in the meantime, so SVN recognised yours as "out of date". To resolve this, you usually start an SVN Update which reports the files in conflicing state, Tortoise lets you choose the version you want to use when you right-click on the offending file (marked in red).

As if that ain't enough although it shows OK in DR but in doom I get...

WARNING: ******* leaked *******

WARNING: Couldn't load image: textures/darkmod/stone/brick/tiling_1d/old_worn_

greybrick

And it seems to leak right through the texture.

So it seems to me likely that top line is used by Doom not just DR? and should be...

Saved it. Reloaded Doom. Dmap...

WARNING: ******* leaked *******

WARNING: Couldn't load image: textures/darkmod/stone/brick/tiling_1d/old_worn_greybrick

'old_worn_greybrick' without also '_tiling_1d' is not used anywhere in the def so don't know where it is getting that from. Path too long?

Just as well the commit failed if the def is still not right This is the whole thing. The first line, as said I have tried without the end _tiling_1d and it still fails. I've been over and over it and can't see what I've done wrong...

{
stone

{
	if ( parm11 > 0 )
	map		 _white
	rgb		 0.40 * parm11
}
{
	if ( parm11 > 0 )
	blend	   add
	rgb		 0.15 * parm11
}
}

It works on my end, I just checked using a test room with that texture.

Did you restart DarkRadiant (or at least Flushed & Reloaded the shaders)? Doom must also be restarted for the changes to take effect. Make sure you have the latest SVN revision of the .mtr file (hit SVN > Revert if it's marked red or delete it and redownload it).

When the image is missing the map compiler might report leaks, this will go away as soon as the image is found again.

No, I give up now till tomorrow. I've spent hours on this now. I've updated from the SVN the material file and the entire dds brick folder in case the filename of the dds has also been changed. No it hasn't. It is still old_worn_greybrick_tiling_1d.dds and there is no new old_worn_greybrick.dds.

. I no longer get the leak error

. It shows correctly in DR

.Yes I have many times closed both Doom and DR and re-opend them.

I still get WARNING: Couldn't load image: textures/darkmod/stone/brick/tiling_1d/old_worn_greybrick (I'm not surprised since there is no such file; I'm just surprised it works for you.)

The map now plays but the texture is black (and it is well lit)

I cannot understand how it can refer to a old_worn_greybrick when there is no such file yet this is now your mtr file not mine...

diffusemap textures/darkmod/stone/brick/tiling_1d/old_worn_greybrick

The only file in the dds brick folder is old_worn_greybrick_tiling_1d

Next I am looking to see if the 'virtual' foldere 'tiling_1d had now become a real folder on the drive. No it hasn't. And I have updated the whole brick folder.

It's not April 13th and you're.. no...

I'll sleep on it. :)

Couldn't load image: textures/darkmod/stone/brick/tiling_1d/old_worn_greybrick (I'm not surprised since there is no such file

When the editor refers to 'images' it is actually refering to the material name (the first line of the material entry). So if your material file has an entry called "textures/darkmod/stone/brick/tiling_1d/old_worn_greybrick" then it should be loading it. If the actual FILE is misnamed or missing, then you won't get that message but you'd get a black (or otherwise distorted) wall.

No, there's nothing left to commit for me, it was only the diffusemap link that was wrong. The files and folders are all correct - I have the same files as in the repository.

Let's check the contents of your folders: This is my DDS folder darkmod\dds\textures\darkmod\stone\brick, it should contain the diffusemap file old_worn_greybrick_tiling_1d.dds.

The shader is defined in tdm_stone_brick.mtr and should look exactly like this:

{
stone

{
	if ( parm11 > 0 )
	map		 _white
	rgb		 0.40 * parm11
}
{
	if ( parm11 > 0 )
	blend	   add
	rgb		 0.15 * parm11
}
}

Are you sure the material file tdm_stone_brick.mtr is marked green on your end (no local changes)?

Yesterday evening it had a red exclamation I think it was because I had changed it. Then I did an update and it changed to green. But the diffusemap is shown as...

diffusemap textures/darkmod/stone/brick/tiling_1d/old_worn_greybrick

That seems to be the error and yet that error only appeared after I updated! If you look back in this thread you see my version had it correct...

diffusemap textures/darkmod/stone/brick/old_worn_greybrick_tiling_1d

I'll check it all again after breakfast :)