The Dark Mod Forums

New Mansion Pack Requests

Springheel

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

now question is, how to make the top. ATM it looks like that - this way the texture is as highres as possible, cauze the top uses the same texture as the rest. the disadavantage is, that it has no border around it...

question now is - more highres texture or more realism ?

post-5-1103735594.jpg

Edited by BlackThief

maybe it'd be better to make it more lowpoly and model the top. this way the texture could stay the same, but the top would look more realistic.

eventhough T3 is rather ugly (actually I was really surprised HOW ugly T3 is, when I took that screenshot some minutes ago) their barrels have a modeled top, but don't have so much sides.

http://www.dark-project.com/BlackThief/thief3_barrel.jpg

so Atti can u plze make the shape like the T3 barrel and reduce the number of sides ? :)

well I think it's rather unimportant how many rings it has ;) do a google search and you'll see all variations ;)

edit: ah, nevermind. now I know what you mean ;) I'll change it

yea i nkow there are many variation but their position is essential because of the normal map'S highpoly source

there's a nvidia photoshop-plugin for normalmaps ;)

so can u plze make it with a lower number of sides, but with a modeled top ?

I'd prefer this, cauze normalmaps don't look as nice anyway, when you look from the side. I'd suggest 10 sides for the barrel - that's enough.

Edited by BlackThief

nah that red area dont have to be much deep..

and 10 sided barrel would look silly maybe it would be good for the more cylindrical version but not for that...i think

..i hink you should try applying the normal map

it will look good..

Edited by _Atti_

nah that red area dont have to be much deep..

and 10 sided barrel would look silly maybe it would be good for the more cylindrical version but not for that...i think

..i hink you should try applying the normal map

it will look good..

The top of the barrel will be flat anyway and it shouldn't. A normal map doesn't work sideways. So it is better to create some geometry for the top to make it more bumpy.

Gerhard

Looks good BT. But those metal bands are crying out for some studs. :)

/OT

Not to hijack, just a quick interruption because looking at your in-game shot reminded me. ;)  The textures that are listed in the new materials - are they going up soon (or are they already there and my winCVS isn't synching properly?)

I already uploaded some of them, but not all.

spring - added studs - better ?

post-5-1103753711.jpg

Yep, very nice BT. The shape looks a little warped, but I assume that's just the perspective of the ingame camera.

Barrels are usally about three or four feet high, so that looks about right. One question...will they roll effectively with that number of polys?

hope you don't mind, that I made the barrel myself. yours had more than 360 triangles - I think that's not worth for such a simple object, as a barrel.

here's mine in blender:

barrel_BT1.jpg

and here ingame...

Khmm.... i told you that i would reduce the segments if it were a more cylindrical designed barrel just like the one you made...

but my variation with 10 sides would look damn ugly...

also..since we are mostly in interiors i dont think that we will ever reach the critical poly/frame so a damn barrel that is round wont kill the fps..even if we pile a room full with it(which we i presume, wont do..)

i am doing anything gladly if needed but hey ..who likes to waste time?