The Dark Mod Forums

Glass assets

sparhawk

For my lockpick map I was looking for glass, but I haven't found much of it. I used a glass definition from the original D3, but I'm not really happy with it, because I can't get it to look properly. Somehow the glass is pretty opaque and you can barely see inside.

I was also wondering if we have transparent doors like this because this is the kind of glass that I had in mind:

http://darkfate.ru/files/fan-missions/Thie...ots/dump020.jpg

Gerhard

For my lockpick map I was looking for glass, but I haven't found much of it. I used a glass definition from the original D3, but I'm not really happy with it, because I can't get it to look properly. Somehow the glass is pretty opaque and you can barely see inside.

I was also wondering if we have transparent doors like this because this is the kind of glass that I had in mind:

http://darkfate.ru/files/fan-missions/Thie...ots/dump020.jpg

I started to work on crystal/glass textures:

post-144-1192800044_thumb.jpg

I intend to add more versions (transparency can be tweaked) and commit this stuff over the weekend to the SVN.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

*cough*

Yes I know I shouldnt be poking around the content forums - but its eve-online downtime and I'm taking the evening to relax! :)

Could glass not be done in a slightly more fancy way? I mean, sure glass like that is okay for low settings - but wouldnt some pretty water-like shader look a whole lot better? I was thinking a sort of startic water like shader with low and wide bumps. Like impure and old glass you find in ooold houses, nothing too busy so that it looks like the refraction is going everywhere, just a slight curve here and there :) I think that would be quite damn good looking for display cabinets and stuff.

Anyway - donno too much about shaders and the doom3 engine yet, but I will get there :) Just my 1.99c

Serp

*cough*

Yes I know I shouldnt be poking around the content forums - but its eve-online downtime and I'm taking the evening to relax! :)

Could glass not be done in a slightly more fancy way? I mean, sure glass like that is okay for low settings - but wouldnt some pretty water-like shader look a whole lot better? I was thinking a sort of startic water like shader with low and wide bumps. Like impure and old glass you find in ooold houses, nothing too busy so that it looks like the refraction is going everywhere, just a slight curve here and there :) I think that would be quite damn good looking for display cabinets and stuff.

Anyway - donno too much about shaders and the doom3 engine yet, but I will get there :) Just my 1.99c

Serp

Yes, once I figure out how to generate the proper file for the vertex shader, this can be done. For now, the glass uses a generic "distortion" map, which just adds some ripples.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Cool! That looks more like it. :)

I just checked in various glass and crystal materials, a glass material base texture and a test map in maps/test/glass.map to showcase what I got working now.

The 4 different glass types (clear, yellowish-clear, milky, dirty yellow) all come in 2 sets - non-distorting and distorting.

The crystals come in only one set, milky, non-distorting and well, you should check them out :)

Oh, and make sure you also check out the downstairs room :)

We also have transparent lit and unlit glass.

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?showtopic=6180

We also have generic lit and unlit lamp glass, both in filter and blend modes.

I didn't know this and after a quick look, I couldn't find it. Where is it hidden? :) (Edit: nevermind, I read the thread now)

Oh, and I just noticed there is darkmod/sfx/glass_clear and glass_clear_nomorph. Doh.

However, after a quick testing it seems that glass_clear reacts quite odd in my testmap when I replace my glass with it. It is way to bright when a light shines on it. Hm.

As for window-panes, I am still trying to come up with an effect that shows that the small window panes aren't flat, but bulged out.

Why that? :blink:

Could glass not be done in a slightly more fancy way? I mean, sure glass like that is okay for low settings - but wouldnt some pretty water-like shader look a whole lot better? I was thinking a sort of startic water like shader with low and wide bumps.

That idea with a static water sounds quite good. I guess I have to test it. :)

Gerhard

You might want to check out Doom3World.org. They had some interesting glass effects in the D3CanDoIt map. I'm also positive that I've seen the "static water" glass before in TDM, but it might have been a beta mapper who didn't upload it to a common place. I thought maybe Dram had done it also in some of the earlier versions of his mansion with transparent windows.