The Dark Mod Forums

Wood beam textures for cheap

Tels

Sigh, this is one that comes up very, very.... very often. :mellow:

The mortar does in fact ooze out of the bricks. I took the photo myself, of a cemetary/church wall not 10 miles from my house. Close inspection of the diffuse will show it to be true as well. For those who wish to go against reality and force the bricks outward instead, there is also an 'inverted' version.

Sigh, this is one that comes up very, very.... very often. :mellow:

The mortar does in fact ooze out of the bricks. I took the photo myself, of a cemetary/church wall not 10 miles from my house. Close inspection of the diffuse will show it to be true as well. For those who wish to go against reality and force the bricks outward instead, there is also an 'inverted' version.

Nevermind me *goes hiding in a corner*

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Yes, when brickwork is repointed (re-mortared) then the mortar does generally stick out or is flush and stays that way for quite a time - possibly years until it weathers away and eventually needs repointing.

But I've seen this reverse bumping with a couple of other textures and it seems to be a trick of the light or an optical illusion I'm not sure which as it is temporary depending on the lighting. There are some flagstones that do this. I actually started making a new normal map until I realized. I suspect it might be caused if the original texture is highlighted on one side and the game light is on the other - not sure.

Speaking of that, is someone able to "paint" a hightmap for a rough-stone-wall texture? I made a perfect diffusemap (spent a few hours with Gimp on it :wacko: , but the automatically generated normal map looks like..all wrong. And painting that height/normal map will take me ages :/

I could do it.

It's only a model...

Uhm, is it just me or is the normal map reversed? the left one (without) has the stones sticking out, the right one looks like all the "stones" are actually depressions:

Nope, it's not.

post-483-1193075134_thumb.jpg

Might have been the lighting that made it look inverted.

Nevermind me *goes hiding in a corner*

No no... did I sound rude there? I wasn't trying to be, sorry! I just can't tell you how many times I've defended the normalmap for that texture (well I probably could... I'm guessing 5 times). After release, I'm sure I'll defend it 3,921 more times. Maybe I should add a note to the material. :)

Edit: Done (not that many people will read the material, but at least it's there in case).

I could do it.

Cool and thanx! The texture in question (the original) is 2600x2600 pixel. I also have a "hires" version of 2048x2048 pixel and a "lowres" of 1024x1024.

I guess it makes sense to paint on the highest version, and then downscale stuff?

Tell me how you want the pictures, I upload them to my server and tell you were to download them (I can't check them into the TDM hires repo since I can't even check that one out :(

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Nope, it's not.

post-483-1193075134_thumb.jpg

Might have been the lighting that made it look inverted.

Or my eyes were screwed in the wrong way? Sorry for doubting you :D

No no... did I sound rude there? I wasn't trying to be, sorry! I just can't tell you how many times I've defended the normalmap for that texture (well I probably could... I'm guessing 5 times). After release, I'm sure I'll defend it 3,921 more times. Maybe I should add a note to the material. :)

Edit: Done (not that many people will read the material, but at least it's there in case).

No, not that rude, I just realized I wasted again the time of people by bringing up something that was debated to death a few times already :(

About the note: I was about to suggest you do while remarking of "it's probably already in there and I didn't read it" :D

You could always rename it to bricks_convex_mortar or something (especially if there was also a bricks_concave_mortar, so people could take their pick).

You could always rename it to bricks_convex_mortar or something (especially if there was also a bricks_concave_mortar, so people could take their pick).

Might be a good idea, as I too was confused what "inverted" meant, I thought it means mirrored along X or Y axis :)