The Dark Mod Forums

Tels' textures

Tels

Well, the "flat" folder already contains quite a lot of materials and since I didn't want to double their number just for my pattern, well I already wrote I thought the folder was good, or I wouldn't have done it.

We already have mosaic textures in a different folder. It doesn't make a lot of sense for you to create your own mosaic folder, and have mappers have to look in two separate places for the same kind of texture, even though you think it's good.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We already have mosaic textures in a different folder. It doesn't make a lot of sense for you to create your own mosaic folder, and have mappers have to look in two separate places for the same kind of texture, even though you think it's good.

The idea was to move all mosaic textures into their own folder. Duh!

In any event this discussion is moot as this ain't gonna happen for a different reason.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

There is a folder depth limit, as I wrote in the post above, not a path length limit.

Well, I simple couldn't imagine anyway writing software in the 21th century would code in such a stupid limit..... :wacko: I agree with the rest of what you said, wacking stupid developers with wet noodles and all....

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

• 3 months later...

Before this stuff lingers another month on my harddisk, I uploaded the WIP mosaic textures to SVN.

Here are some screenshots:

Editor:

post-144-1205414949_thumb.jpg

Game:

post-144-1205414961_thumb.jpg

Showing missing color combinations:

post-144-1205414706_thumb.jpg

The map to test this is test/mosaic.map.

Things missing:

* bumbmap

* specular

* some tiles have a color cast/color variations (e.g. the trim tile is slightly darker than the center tile). It should be easy to get rid of this, because my panorama stitcher can f.i. equalize color casts. However, I have not found a way to do this for two non-overlapping images. Maybe someone knows an easy way?

* some color combinations are missing (like green t-shaped trim tiles etc.) Also, more color variations could be done (like dark yellow).

For the last step, I added a temp. material which uses the red central tile and a blue overlay texture to create a second blue central tile variant. If this works, it would be dead easy to make more colors without having literally dozend of TGA files.

(it might even be possible to control the color directly from the editor via spawnargs, but this means you need to convert the brushes with the tiles to entities first).

Problems with this technique are, however:

* DR does not show the true color (only in game)

* the current central tile has very very slight red cast in the mortar, and this becomes visible if you look at an angle at the texture from far away, it becomes "slightly reddish"

If somebody wants to work on these tiles, I do have the 2048x2048 "source" images in XFC format (Gimps native layered format) with the various overlays to create the color variants. I can also compact these to one-layered PNGs and upload them somewhere.

Very nice. I assume from your words these diffuses are made by hand? Reason I ask is the minor web pattern in the background (white) looks a lot like photoshop, etc. stained glass. I've been diving into some more learning lately (going quite well actually) and I'm getting excited (hopefully not prematurely!) about the prospect of finally being able to make some good stuff by hand (to hell with as-is photos!). If I can get inspired and find ideas of course. ^_^

Very nice. I assume from your words these diffuses are made by hand? Reason I ask is the minor web pattern in the background (white) looks a lot like photoshop, etc. stained glass. I've been diving into some more learning lately (going quite well actually) and I'm getting excited (hopefully not prematurely!) about the prospect of finally being able to make some good stuff by hand (to hell with as-is photos!). If I can get inspired and find ideas of course. ^_^

I did make the diffuse from real photos, but I didn't have a very goods photo source - I just snapped a few pics without real equipment and good lightning. And yes, teh "web pattern" could have more variety, but it looks actually much like the original:

Here are two of the original photos (the third was blurry), scaled down to 1024 pixels for posting here:

post-144-1205421936_thumb.jpg

post-144-1205421947_thumb.jpg

I "photoshopped" (aka "gimped" :D the source into the center tile, then I created the other tiles by more creative cloning.

The colors were created by masking parts of the image, then coloring these masks.

Edit: Forgot to mention: The U-shaped, T-shaped and the "small" trim tile are pure phantasy from me, the orginal mosaic only had center tiles (in 4 parts, I made them in one piece) and straight trim tiles in one size.

Wow! That almost looks like the tiles we bought for our bathroom! :)

Wow, I need a photo from yours - because the ones I used as a source are at least 30 years old and used on the floor of the "landing" part of a staircase :P

If somebody wants to work on these tiles, I do have the 2048x2048 "source" images in XFC format (Gimps native layered format) with the various overlays to create the color variants. I can also compact these to one-layered PNGs and upload them somewhere.

I think there's a texture_src repository for that purpose.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

I think there's a texture_src repository for that purpose.

That's probably the one I can't even check out...... (even when SVN is actually reachable, I mean)

The texture_src repository works just fine, I could check it out yesterday without a problem.

Is the texture_src repository a different one than the highres repo?

I can't check out anything from SVN (as usual for the last days) because I always get:

svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/svn/darkmod/trunk'
svn: PROPFIND of '/svn/darkmod/trunk': could not connect to server (https://darkmod.homelinux.com)

Which seems to be the DynDNS problem.

The highres is this one:

te@te:~/src/darkmod/darkmod_hires$ svn info																								 Path: .
URL: https://darkmod.homelinux.com/svn/darkmod_hires/trunk/tga_backup/textures
Repository Root: https://darkmod.homelinux.com/svn/darkmod_hires
Repository UUID: f2d8baaa-392a-0410-b8e4-847a15305ea3
Revision: 282
Node Kind: directory
Schedule: normal

and whenever I try to checkout/update this one I get the error about the chunk delimiter. I can update/checkout single files, but not the automatic full checkout. (Meaning, I would need to look up each file name manually on the web, then run "svn update filenamehere", which is *extremely* cumbersome. I simply don't have that much time.)

Yes, the texture_src is different from darkmod_hires. Texture_src is meant to keep photoshop/gimp/whatever source files.

Ah, cool, as soon as SVN is up again, I will try to checkout this repo, then upload my XCF files there. (in the hope non-gimp users can read them)

Ah, cool, as soon as SVN is up again, I will try to checkout this repo, then upload my XCF files there. (in the hope non-gimp users can read them)

I don't think that many other programs apart from Gimp can read them, but at least Gimp is free for all to download, which is a plus. IIRC, Gimp files can also be saved in Photoshop's PSD format, if necessary.

It's not too much to make people download Gimp in order to change source files IMHO. :)

Gimp does have PSD support, though it's not perfect. Could be worth a try; it depends how complicated your XCF is.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

It's not too much to make people download Gimp in order to change source files IMHO. :)

I don't have experience with installing Gimp on Windows, but there would also be life-CDs etc.

Gimp does have PSD support, though it's not perfect. Could be worth a try; it depends how complicated your XCF is.

An attempt to save the XCF as PSD results in the warning:

PSD cannot handle layer masks - you need to export your image before saving. Export won't change the original. Apply layer masks [Yes/no]?

So I am not sure it would work. I'll upload them as soon as SVN is back up again.