The Dark Mod Forums

New release: 0.9.4

Version 0.9.4 of DarkRadiant is available at SourceForge.

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=161727

This is a bugfix release addressing an issue with the inheritance of entity classes in the Entity Browser, with a couple of other tweaks. The full list of changes is available here:

http://darkradiant.sourceforge.net/changes.0.9.4.php

Version 0.9.4 of DarkRadiant is available at SourceForge.

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=161727

This is a bugfix release addressing an issue with the inheritance of entity classes in the Entity Browser, with a couple of other tweaks. The full list of changes is available here:

http://darkradiant.sourceforge.net/changes.0.9.4.php

The changelog doesn't load for me.

In addition, do we want to release pre-compiled linux packages?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Website is updated. Thanks OrbWeaver, I'm glad the new bugfix release is out now. :)

@Tels: How much work is it to assemble a package that is compatible with all major Linux distros?

Uh, I have no idea. Once you setup the environment/scripts, it is probably just a "do_package". But then, I never have done it, so it would take a bit of research. (oops :)

As for "major", I guess .deb (debian/ubuntu/kubuntu) and rpm (sue/redhat etc) should cover all bases.

But then, given the very low percentage of linux users, maybe we just give them the "Use the source, Luke!" card?

OTOH, having a Ubuntu package would be cool. But usually the distributions bundle third-party software themselves - that is why I never done it, they all do this for me :) But I have no idea whom one should ask to do this - usually I find out by accident that someone made a RPM out of something I wrote.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

I can do a DEB for Ubuntu, I have done that in the past (I even looked into getting the SConscript to do it automatically, but didn't get very far).

The problem with Linux of course is that there is no package that will work for all distributions (except for a tar.gz which you unzip into a directory). If the majority of people are happy with an Ubuntu DEB then that is no problem however.

I've added an Ubuntu DEB to the 0.9.4 release on SourceForge.

It's just a very simple package, placing the DarkRadiant files in /usr/local/darkradiant and a .desktop file in /usr/share/applications. There are no dependencies or anything, so it should work on any version of Linux that uses this directory structure, but it may not run if you don't have the right libraries installed.

I've added an Ubuntu DEB to the 0.9.4 release on SourceForge.

Very cool, can you tell me how to do this?

It's just a very simple package, placing the DarkRadiant files in /usr/local/darkradiant and a .desktop file in /usr/share/applications. There are no dependencies or anything, so it should work on any version of Linux that uses this directory structure, but it may not run if you don't have the right libraries installed.

Did you also set the dependencies? That is the most important point with packages, the package manager can then install the nec. libraries automatically.

Edit: It looks like you forgot strip on "darkradiant" :)

Very cool, can you tell me how to do this?

Did you also set the dependencies? That is the most important point with packages, the package manager can then install the nec. libraries automatically.

Edit: It looks like you forgot strip on "darkradiant" :)

I looked at the darkradiant.desktop file, and looking at the others I have already in /usr/share/applications, I think the following fields could be added to it:

encoding

version

icon=

Comment[de]=...

etc.

I make a new one, should I email it to you?

Mmm... glad to see the models in alpha order at last - well, ASCII order at any rate but can the entity list also default to being in order?

Yes, SneaksieDave already added that request to the bugtracker, this will most probably make it into the next release. :)

• 1 month later...
Woot, looks like the roadmap to 0.9.5 is filled now. :)

@OrbWeaver: should we release this weekend or do you have other plans?

Yes, I noticed that. The Roadmap is a great feature.

I certainly could do a release this weekend, but I wonder if there is anything else we should add into 0.9.5. I'm thinking that perhaps 459 and 460 could make it in, since they are theoretically simple GUI tweaks (maybe I could even do them this week and make the weekend anyway, if I'm lucky).

Just noticed the 'advanced' checkmark in the create models dialog and made a model with monster clip brush :D handy!

Yes, it is a good feature but I don't like having it hidden behind a (non-standard) expanding part of the dialog. I think this should be made more visible (there also needs to be an option to create models with no-shadow for performance reasons).

Yes, I noticed that. The Roadmap is a great feature.

I certainly could do a release this weekend, but I wonder if there is anything else we should add into 0.9.5. I'm thinking that perhaps 459 and 460 could make it in, since they are theoretically simple GUI tweaks (maybe I could even do them this week and make the weekend anyway, if I'm lucky).

Could you please try to work n the dependencies for Ubuntu this time? Also, you can bounce a test-reelase my way, I give it a whirl and report anything I notice back to you :)

Could you please try to work n the dependencies for Ubuntu this time? Also, you can bounce a test-reelase my way, I give it a whirl and report anything I notice back to you :)

I can add some of the more obvious ones (GTK etc), but there's no guarantee I can capture everything. If both you and I have all of the dependencies installed already (which we will have if the software runs) then it won't be obvious if the package is missing a dependency.

I do have VMWare Server installed, I guess I could create an Ubuntu VM and test it on that (although it would obviously not work properly without OpenGL support).

I can add some of the more obvious ones (GTK etc), but there's no guarantee I can capture everything. If both you and I have all of the dependencies installed already (which we will have if the software runs) then it won't be obvious if the package is missing a dependency.

You can use "ldd darkradiant" to see which libraries the program relies on. If the dependecies of all these .so files are covered, you got them all.

(Unless "darkradiant" loades modules at runtime, and these modules have more dependencies, but you can use "ldd" to get a list for them, too).

I do have VMWare Server installed, I guess I could create an Ubuntu VM and test it on that (although it would obviously not work properly without OpenGL support).

I do have Ubuntu 7.04 and 7.10 on my laptop, and I guess I can easily get a Ubuntu fresh install (and install VMWare Player) but you are right about OpenGL. However, I don't think you actually need to run the program to get all dependencies.

Just make sure you get the dependency list on the older (odest) system, so we get a minimum required version. Otherwise, the dependecies would list versions that also require a newer Ubuntu system then technically is nec. :)

I run 6.06, so there shouldn't be any problems with specifying too-new versions.

Good :)