The Dark Mod Forums

3d skybox

BEAR

Im sure this probably isnt the right place to ask this (I want to help seemed even less appropriate somehow).

Are 3d skyboxes possible with doom3? I swore I've seen reference to them as well as some text tutorials, but I've had trouble figuring out how to implement one in doom3, I know the jist of what you do (they seem similar to how I did it in Rune)

A guy on doom3world said doom3 didnt even have them, which is kind of messing with my head. Im hoping he's wrong. I thought maybe I read it on the doom3world wiki or the tdm wiki (which is down atm so I cant check)

(Feel free to move/delete this as you please admins if you dont want it here, not that you need my permission)

Thanks

Edited by BEAR

Yes, both static projection type skies (think Doom) and portal skies (think Unreal) exist in TDM. The latter can be very, very complex if you wish.

Edit: Here's a nice one: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3101107847131156714

Edit: Does google vids not show the submitter's username? I can't see who the original poster was.

If you read through this thread it shows a few portal skies I did, and has links to videos in higher resolutions.

In particular:

Old V2 Skybox

V3 Prototype

V3 Sunset Sky

V3 Sunset Sky modified to produce "god-rays"

D3 is capable of just about any kind of sky you can think of, and it has the best material system I've seen in a game. :)

Thanks guys, but just to clarify, are 3d skyboxes ONLY available in TDM? I have dark radiant but none of the other tools so Im basically working with stock d3. Its not a problem but it was something I wanted to practice before I tried to become a betamapper.

It's done by taking many cross-sections of the rays. A single cross-section multiplies the inverse of the cloud density texture (ie, bright where light can shine through) by a brightness falloff texture and adds the result to the rendered image. I also make cross-sections bigger the closer they are to the camera.

That's cool. Are you planning to create multiple default skypresets for TDM? If so it would be nice to have a moonshine night in a similar manor, but of course way more subtle. Also a Sundown could be more suitable for a dark thievy environment and feature your nice effect.

Absolutely. This type of skybox is basically just a room with a camera in it, and the view which is presented to the player. Very WYSIWYG. Whatever you can build, texture, code, or script, it can be. You could have a burning, spinning, flying castle in the clouds, with dragons buzzing around it if you want. It won't be easy to make, and might hurt framerate badly, but it can be done.