The Dark Mod Forums

Which Lightgem Should We Use

sparhawk

Which lightgem do you think looks best?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which lightgem do you think looks best?

• Offnish's
    • Oddity's
    • Atti's

Since we have now three models to choose from, for the lightgem, I suggest we vote on which on to take. We can also provide the other ones as alternatives, so that players can switch them if they like). Since they are already done we can just as well use them. No need to throw them away as they all look very nice. :)

The voting just will decide which one we should use as the official one, which means it will show up on screenshots and in our campaing (if we do one).

Oofnish's model:

lightgem01.jpg

Oddity's model:

post-5-1102269624.gif

Atti's model:

post-5-1103668715.jpg

Gerhard

A nice thing about oofnish's version is that the gem and the compass don't actually touch, which should make it much easier to turn on one model but not the other.

As far as providing three different lightgem models...that might be going overboard in terms of FM author choice. Next you'll be saying we should include 3 different noisemaker models. :)

As far as providing three different lightgem models...that might be going overboard in terms of FM author choice. Next you'll be saying we should include 3 different noisemaker models. :)

Personally I thnk oofnish's model looks the best.

And about the arrows. It's not as if we have these different arrows. But why should we drop the models? We already have them. It's not like it is some extra work now, so we can make use of them just as well.

Another thing is that we can use the models for jewelry or such, now that they are already done. Or as ornaments.

Gerhard

Ok, it seems like Oofnish's is the clear winner. Can we get someone to clean it up and make it useable?

dear Spring...

I can work on this.......(i ll be happy making some improvements while keeping the basic design) ..

Im not sure but there must be magnetism between gem itself and compass.. So it looks cool because of this..But i believe the blocky parts is not that much ok...I can make some variations...for you to review...

BEST

Edited by TYROT

Im not sure but there must be magnetism between gem itself and compass.. So it looks cool because of this..But i believe the blocky parts is not that much ok...I can make some variations...for you to review...

The gem contains some doublesided ring in the middle between the gem and the compass. I don't think that we need this, since this os usually not seen and it just increases the number of polys without any visual difference.

Apart from thet it is ok. The one thing that I still need is, to make the gem a sphere so we can have it as a pre-rendered seperate object. You must render it in 16 stages, from dark to bright. The darkest value should not be black, because it should still be visible.

And of course the 16 stages should be don such that they represent a smooth transition. :)

Gerhard

Ok, it is looking like we have finally come to a compromise and conclusion (yay!) to this issue. We will still use Oofnish's model for the lightgem/compass combo. We can also see how the lightgem looks by itself. But we don't need to make this model tilt. We will need a separate compass model for that.

Looking at the texture Oofnish had on it, I think I would rather see something darker and more roughed up, like oDDity's, with perhaps the north spike being the only shiny one. I think it would go better with the healthbars that way, as they are also pretty dark as I recall.

Are you only referring to the compass part when you say you'd rather it was more "roughed up?" If so, I agree.

But if you're also referring to the gem, I disagree. Part of my reason for voting for Oofnish's was that it looked like a gem that would appear to reflect the surrounding brightness of the environment (a light "receptor," if you will), instead of a roughed up semi-opaque object that appears to be self-illuminating itself, as oDDity's appears to do.

Just wanted to clarify.

Thanks!

Oh, I didn't mean the gem, just the metal part. I love the gem as it is, and I'm hoping we can keep it looking that way.

edit: BTW, I'd like to work closely with whomever is working on setting up the HUD items. It's important that they have a consistent 'look' to them, so that the HUD looks unified.

Oh, I didn't mean the gem, just the metal part.  I love the gem as it is, and I'm hoping we can keep it looking that way.

That should be no problem. As I already said the gem is a prerendered square which can have as much details as anybody likes as long as it doesn't exceed 2 polies. :)

edit:  BTW, I'd like to work closely with whomever is working on setting up the HUD items.  It's important that they have a consistent 'look' to them, so that the HUD looks unified.

And I hope that I get a lightgem soon. :) Can you do this?

Gerhard

And I hope that I get a lightgem soon. smile.gif Can you do this?

Well, I can make the .bmps no problem, but I don't know anything about positioning them or getting them to fit the model. Would I have to know exactly how big the gem will be onscreen?

Well, I can make the .bmps no problem, but I don't know anything about positioning them or getting them to fit the model. Would I have to know exactly how big the gem will be onscreen?

Actually when I ask you to do such athing I don't mean that you need to do it yourself. You can assign somebody that task to make it game ready. I think with three models to choose from we should have at least one by now. :)

Gerhard