The Dark Mod Forums

Making collision model & moveables problems

Firstly, making a moveable in the editor from the moveable base entity works but the model doesn't show in the editor.

I'm trying to make a collision model for decorative/statues/statuette_priest_torso.lwo. Its origin is at the centre of its base so I did likewise with the brush template entity's origin. A rough outline is a vertical flattened block, 24 high, 20 wide, and 10 deep but the result in-game is always 'turned on its back' (apparently as I can only guess using seta g_showCollisionModels 1 it looks that way.) so it looks about 24 x 20 by 10 high. I've done a pyramid shape successfully before for a candlestick. Another cabinet I wanted to be able to push to one side I finished up walking through it but I didn't think to check what its cm looked like - might be a similar problem. Maybe the cm has to have a square plan view? Below is the current statuette cm. Perhaps it can be manually changed?

CM "1.00"

collisionModel "models/darkmod/decorative/statues/statuette_priest_torso.lwo" {
vertices { /* numVertices = */ 8
/* 0 */ ( 10 -4 24 )
/* 1 */ ( -10 -4 24 )
/* 2 */ ( -10 6 24 )
/* 3 */ ( 10 6 24 )
/* 4 */ ( 10 6 0 )
/* 5 */ ( -10 6 0 )
/* 6 */ ( 10 -4 0 )
/* 7 */ ( -10 -4 0 )
}
edges { /* numEdges = */ 13
/* 0 */ ( 0 0 ) 0 0
/* 1 */ ( 0 1 ) 0 2
/* 2 */ ( 1 2 ) 0 2
/* 3 */ ( 2 3 ) 0 2
/* 4 */ ( 3 0 ) 0 2
/* 5 */ ( 4 3 ) 0 2
/* 6 */ ( 2 5 ) 0 2
/* 7 */ ( 5 4 ) 0 2
/* 8 */ ( 6 0 ) 0 2
/* 9 */ ( 4 6 ) 0 2
/* 10 */ ( 7 6 ) 0 2
/* 11 */ ( 5 7 ) 0 2
/* 12 */ ( 7 1 ) 0 2
}
nodes {
( -1 0 )
}
polygons {
4 ( 1 2 3 4 ) ( 0 0 1 ) 24 ( -10 -4 24 ) ( 10 6 24 ) "textures/common/collision"
4 ( 5 -3 6 7 ) ( 0 1 0 ) 6 ( -10 6 0 ) ( 10 6 24 ) "textures/common/collision"
4 ( 8 -4 -5 9 ) ( 1 0 0 ) 10 ( 10 -4 0 ) ( 10 6 24 ) "textures/common/collision"
4 ( 10 -9 -7 11 ) ( 0 0 -1 ) 0 ( -10 -4 0 ) ( 10 6 0 ) "textures/common/collision"
4 ( -1 -8 -10 12 ) ( 0 -1 0 ) 4 ( -10 -4 0 ) ( 10 -4 24 ) "textures/common/collision"
4 ( -6 -2 -12 -11 ) ( -1 0 0 ) 10 ( -10 -4 0 ) ( -10 6 24 ) "textures/common/collision"
}
brushes /* brushMemory = */ 140 {
6 {
	( 0 0 1 ) 24
	( 0 1 0 ) 6
	( 1 0 0 ) 10
	( 0 0 -1 ) 0
	( 0 -1 0 ) 4
	( -1 0 0 ) 10
} ( -10 -4 0 ) ( 10 6 24 ) "solid"
}
}

Firstly, making a moveable in the editor from the moveable base entity works but the model doesn't show in the editor.

I am not sure what you mean by this.

I'm trying to make a collision model for decorative/statues/statuette_priest_torso.lwo. Its origin is at the centre of its base so I did likewise with the brush template entity's origin.

There is a problem with models that have their origin not at their center and their CM. I don't know how to make the CM (in DarkRadiant) with an off-center origin.

Consider as example "cake.lwo". Recently, Springheel fixed it. Now the model contains a CM. However:

* deleting the cake.cm does not work, D3 complains "is not a tracemodel"

* using the CM made in the editor does not work, as it is not properly aligned:

I don't know if this is the same problem as yours, but it looks like it.

post-144-1202824289_thumb.jpg

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

You can move the origin of the func_clipmodel entity in DarkRadiant when entering vertex-editing mode to align it with the origin of the actual model.

Ah, didn't know this. But how can I load the existing .cm file? I don't want to spent all the time to recreate the CM but I don't see how I could do this. Is there a way?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Ah, didn't know this. But how can I load the existing .cm file? I don't want to spent all the time to recreate the CM but I don't see how I could do this. Is there a way?

The .cm can't be imported into DR - you need to recreate the collision brush.

The .cm can't be imported into DR - you need to recreate the collision brush.

Dang :( It took me at least an hour to find a working shape that looked a bit like the cake....

It fails in DoomEd too so I now suspect the problem is the wiki moveable article is obsolete - probably the code has changed since then. Making any shape or size results in-game with a cm that looks about 40 x 40 x 10 high. As far as I can see in the console it's not even loading the cm. I'll try again later and create a new external def.

An hour? Looking at the screenshot it should be possible to create such a small brush in a few minutes at most, using the clipper.

Most of the time was spent trying to find out how many times I can clip until D3 refuses to accept the CM. Plus, it is clipped in 3 directions, not just 2. I also tried to come up with a non-flat top, and/or sides that are not pyramid shaped, but many things did not work out.

Dang It took me at least an hour to find a working shape that looked a bit like the cake....

I've built a cm into the cake model itself now, so why do you still need an external cm file?

I've built a cm into the cake model itself now, so why do you still need an external cm file?

Because when I delete the external CM, D3 tries to use your build-in CM and then complains "is not a tracemodel" (see my first post in this thread :D

I don't mind a build-in CM as long as it works :)

I'll have another look at the cake model.

I'm trying to make a collision model for decorative/statues/statuette_priest_torso.lwo.

Are you sure that one doesn't also have a built-in cm? I'm pretty sure I remember making one, though it's possible I'm thinking of the shadowmesh.