The Dark Mod Forums

Is there a new vers of DR?

Hey,

Is there a new version of DR? My current version is 0.91

I'm beginning to think this version has limited textures.

If there is, where is it? I've been looking round forum for it,

since I've not updated DR for bout a year.

I'm wondering because when DR loads I only see 12 textures,

and can find no way to load all relevant textures. In fact

I can't find anyway to load any more textures. Bit of a bummer

as so far I'm limited to just these 12. I know there's alot more,

as I see them in the textures folder, but there's got to be a way

to load them into DR. I liked the way GTK did it, with a drop down

texture menu that allowed you to chose to load the type you wanted,

ie brick, stone, windows etc.

Ven

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

Dark Radiant will always just start with the textures you are currently using in your map. You get more textures by looking at them one at a time in the Media tab (same window at the Texture Browser). If you want to them save some for future use, just paint a few cubes somewhere outside your map boundaries.

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm I can't find any media tab. On my texture view, there's Clamp,

flush, hide and find buttons. No media tab, and I can't find it in the menu

system.

Wouldn't a better way to just have a drop down menu, that just allowed you to pick

the texture type u wanted. ie skies, liquids, walls, floors, common, then u can just easily

n quickly load the entire type you want. Would save alot of time n clicks.

Ven

PS Sry i've not been active on forum lately... just havn't had the time... but still manage to find some time to work on my map.

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

Wouldn't a better way to just have a drop down menu, that just allowed you to pickthe texture type u wanted. ie skies, liquids, walls, floors, common, then u can just easilyn quickly load the entire type you want. Would save alot of time n clicks.

You can already do this by right-clicking on a folder (at any level) in the Media Browser and choosing the option to load all contained textures (I can't remember the actual menu item name at the moment).

Well that's nice... but still doesn't solve my problem... I can't find the media browser lol.. didn't even know there was one.

Yeah you better uninstall DR and start from scratch with version 0.9.6. Something has gotten busted if you don't see the Media tab. The tabs are "Entity, Media, Console, Textures", which you can see if you open the Texture browser, or the Entity browser, or the Console view (they all just open the same browser window with the correct tab selected)

Well I"m damned if I know. I uninstalled DR. Reinstalled it and still see no media browser & no reference to it anywhere in any of the menu's, or preferences.

Looks like something might be wrong in DR somewhere n I might've stumbled upon a bug that doesn't display it. On the texture view, I have only the above 4 icons, and no tabs.

Ok I found it... its in View/Entity Inspector. Seems silly way to view them. Be better the old way in GTK just have texture menu, n pick what you want n it loads them all into viewer, u just scroll down the pics n pick the one u like. Nm I'll get used to it I guess.

Thanks for help :)

Ok I found it... its in View/Entity Inspector. Seems silly way to view them. Be better the old way in GTK just have texture menu, n pick what you want n it loads them all into viewer, u just scroll down the pics n pick the one u like. Nm I'll get used to it I guess.

The Media Browser is based on the feature of the same name in DoomEdit (the Doom 3 built-in editor). Since there is nothing you could do with the old "huge list of texture groups" menu in GtkRadiant that you can't do with a Media Browser, which also provides the ability to browse for individual textures in Doom 3's multilevel hierarchy, I'm not sure what you think is "silly" about it or why the GtkRadiant approach would be better.

You still might have a problem. You probably need to refresh all the menus and stuff by deleting a folder and letting DR refresh it automatically. You'll have to reset your preferences, but that's no big deal. Find and delete (backup first if you really want to) the folder "Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\DarkRadient".

This folder does not get "uninstalled" when you uninstalled DR, so it saves old info that sometimes can be incompatible with newer versions of DR. I had a different problem, missing some icons, that was fixed by deleting that folder.

The next time you use DR it will create the folder and put in new files that should work properly. Hopefully then you will easily see the Media browser tab such as when you open the Texture browser by pressing T.

---

It's better to have just the textures you're using in the texture browser, because it works much much faster than if it had to always load all the textures. You should use the media browser somewhat rarely.

The way I like to do it is browse through the media and pick some textures I will probably use in the near future and paint some cubes with those textures. Then I can "flush and reload" textures so that just the textures I'm using and have painted on those cubes remain.

Thanks Guys... yeh nice tip Komag....

As for what's silly.... You should have the media browser as its own entry in View. I went for a year without knowing it was there. I've gone through view heaps of times, saw the Entity Inspector, but since I wasn't working with any entities I had no need to look there. If I'd seen Media Browser, I'd have found it ages ago. Now I've got to go back n go over what I've done n see if anything needs retexturing... I'm sure it does.

BTW: side issue... I asked this once before but I've forgotten... TDM won't be multiplayer will it? I had a feeling it was, but have this niggling feeling it isnt'. I thought you were going to focus on SP, n let beta mappers make mulitplayer maps.. that's why I've always thought it would be multiplayer.

BTW: side issue... I asked this once before but I've forgotten... TDM won't be multiplayer will it? I had a feeling it was, but have this niggling feeling it isnt'. I thought you were going to focus on SP, n let beta mappers make mulitplayer maps.. that's why I've always thought it would be multiplayer.

Taken from the FAQ on www.thedarkmod.com ;)

Q: You’re not the makers of Thievery UT or Nightblade, are you?

A: No, that’s BlackCat games (www.thieveryut.com). Nor are we aiming to steal their multiplayer audience. The Dark Mod will be focused on single player fan missions and campaigns.

We have always stressed that this will be single player in pretty much every bit of publicity we've ever done. :) It's a single player toolset for building fan missions. If a team comes along after we have released the code and wants to make a separate build of Dark Mod with multiplayer, that will be up to them..but the original TDM will remain single.