The Dark Mod Forums

Walk Animation

Springheel

I've been watching the citywatch walk animation closely, and it looks like there is a bit of a slide of the feet when they walk. This happens with both the citywatch, builderguard and thief, so I assume it's the base animation itself that is the problem?

I checked it out in-game - keep in mind I haven't updated in a little while - more on that later...

I can tell you that the left foot is fine, it's just the right foot that is slipping, like it's not keeping up with the speed the character is moving. Since it's just the one foot it's kinda obvious it's the animation that has the problem. Easily fixed. Well, easily fixed in theory - in practice my computer is a bit fucked right now, working on it...

I've been watching the citywatch walk animation closely, and it looks like there is a bit of a slide of the feet when they walk. This happens with both the citywatch, builderguard and thief, so I assume it's the base animation itself that is the problem?

It's caused by the translation of the origin joint which moves the whole body. Once you translate the origin forward to fix this sliding the left foot will start to slide etc. etc. in the end it lies in x-translation of the right foot :P

I have another walk which could be used because editing the current cycle is a bit troublesome and to be honest i'm not very fond of this walk. The other walk only needs some more tweaking.

It's caused by the translation of the origin joint which moves the whole body. Once you translate the origin forward to fix this sliding the left foot will start to slide etc. etc. in the end it lies in x-translation of the right foot :P
Did it really need that much elaboration? :huh: the right foot just needs to be moved back a bit while the left is moving forwards, it's two minutes worth of animation work.

I'm not fond of this walk either, it's just another tweaked version of the motion capture walk we have (I'm sick of seeing that same amble everywhere) but it will be better to fix this and move onto something more important.

Did it really need that much elaboration? :huh: the right foot just needs to be moved back a bit while the left is moving forwards, it's two minutes worth of animation work.

I'm not fond of this walk either, it's just another tweaked version of the motion capture walk we have (I'm sick of seeing that same amble everywhere) but it will be better to fix this and move onto something more important.

it's actually a walkcycle i created in motionbuilder. I just want to skip the hassle of going back into MB -> edit -> export to maya etc. The other walk i have is pretty much complete, i did some more tweaking last night.

If it's possible, I'd vote for keeping the existing walkcycle and add your improved one additionally. By default, all characters should use your new one (which I'm looking forward to see, btw), but maybe it's a nice option for other types of characters, even if the cycle is not perfect.

Just move the old one to walk2.md5anim or so, the rest will be done by the def files.

Looks fine to me. Of course, I like our current one too, except for the slight slide.

Ah I thought he was referring to his new one.

Yeah I haven't updated in forever, the in-game one I see is still based on the old motionbuilder mo-cap library walk. In fact that's why I'm logging in today, to post about how I can't connect with SVN at the moment...

*edit* ahhh... sometimes talking about it causes you to answer yourself. As I was doing up a post with everything I'd tried, I realised - we'd installed a new proxy server and I'd updated everything with the new settings except SVN. I'm back online!

i've added the new walk and renamed the current one to walk2. Although keep in mind the joints spine to spine2 are not using the keyframes i animated because some code is still overriding those parts. So it looks like his shoulders are very stiff and swing along the way the hips rotate.

Untill one of the programmers take a look at this the animations on the upper body won't display correctly.

Greebo posted a while ago that he hoped he had fixed that. You're sure it's still not working?

Also, it's interesting that those are the same joints that are messed up when I try to view animations in LW. Is it possible it's not a code issue, but something with the rig itself?

i can't remember reading he fixed this issue but if he did post this could you direct me to it? I'm doing a full sync now and check if anything has changes.

But i doubt it has any to do with the joints in the rig. It's more part of the idle code which plays on top of the walk and idles. Greebo said something like changing the idle code is tricky.

Why would it only be those three joints then? Or is that the 'border' between the legs and torso? It just seems like an interesting coincidence that I have a problem with the same joints when playing animations in LW.

I'm not 100% sure where I saw him post about it...I'll poke around a bit and see if I can find it.

Why would it only be those three joints then? Or is that the 'border' between the legs and torso? It just seems like an interesting coincidence that I have a problem with the same joints when playing animations in LW.

I'm not 100% sure where I saw him post about it...I'll poke around a bit and see if I can find it.

i can't say for sure it's these three joints who are being ignored. Could be the spine joint alone which is being called in the code to use one of the idle animations.

You say the skeleton is working fine in LW before you import any animations... maybe the LW importer is using a different axis orientation for importing, like Z is the up axis in Max and Y for Maya.

i can't say for sure it's these three joints who are being ignored. Could be the spine joint alone which is being called in the code to use one of the idle animations.

Hmm, isn't it defined somewhere in the AI def file which joints are considered "torso" and "legs"? Might be worth a look to see if something is in there that shouldn't be.

Here it is:

channel torso ( *Spine1 )

channel legs ( *origin - *Spine )

Does that sound right?

I couldn't find greebo's post, so he'll have to comment on that when he gets back.

You say the skeleton is working fine in LW before you import any animations... maybe the LW importer is using a different axis orientation for importing, like Z is the up axis in Max and Y for Maya.

It is, but the problem only happens with a couple joints. Not sure why.

Hmm, isn't it defined somewhere in the AI def file which joints are considered "torso" and "legs"? Might be worth a look to see if something is in there that shouldn't be.

Here it is:

Does that sound right?

i've changed channel torso to *Spine and channel legs to *origin - *Spine_Dummy. This seems to work out well :) . He's not swinging his upperbody anymore, also when in idle the citywatch plays out the full idle animations on his upperbody.. thx Spring ;) seemed so easy just changing those channels.

what does the Lw importer give you for import options? can import individual keyframes..?

I've changed channel torso to *Spine and channel legs to *origin - *Spine_Dummy. This seems to work out well

Good! :) We'll need to change that in all the AI that use the citywatch skeleton, then. :)

what does the Lw importer give you for import options? can import individual keyframes..?

Not that I know of. It just imports the entire animation. Even importing the AF pose animation twists the torso up, and that only has a single keyframe (I think).

• 3 weeks later...

They're fine in game, it's just when importing them into LW that there are problems.

I've run into a default D3 md5mesh that also goes weird when you import it, so it's probably just the plugin itself.