converting TGA to DDS

Tels

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Perhaps you can run the script on the DDS files, but upload only a few of them for testing purposes? Once that test has passed, you could leave the upload running overnight?

Yeah, I had a similiar idea. Unfortunately, it is not easily possible to sep. them into folders, because about 90% of the model textures are in the same directory.

To play safe, I am currently cloning my full TDM repository (Ugh, 7.x Gbyte :) and will run the script in the copy. Since the script also does the SVN entries (I don't want to manually add/remove files from SVN for 700 files :) I think that is best. If anything goes wrong, I can just kick the copy into the bit bucket.

One thing I just remembered is that I also need to automatically SVN add the TGA files to the hires repo. Will have to add this to the script first.

Since specular maps are hard to check, maybe I find first some way to run the script on a few diffusemaps.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I am getting sufficiently annoyed at the frigging highres repository errors that I consider just uploading a .zip with the TGAs to blodgate.com :angry:

Trying to update it run into an error after a few dozend files again. Get error again. And again.

Then I notice I accidentily had checked out the "textures" subdirectory, but I need one directory above (so I can add the "models" directory to it).

Unfortunately, checking out a new copy of the directory above, aborting that checkout, then moving the existing files in it doesn't work, because both parts are considered incomplete by SVN and now nothing can't be updated (either run into SVN errors, or the threaded SVN HTTPS abort again).

Can't even update subdirectories:

te@te:~/src/darkmod/tdm_hires$ svn update textures/darkmod/
svn: REPORT request failed on '/svn/darkmod_hires/!svn/vcc/default'
svn: REPORT of '/svn/darkmod_hires/!svn/vcc/default': Could not read chunk delimiter: Secure connection truncated (https://darkmod.homelinux.com)

Half an hour for nothing :(

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Okay, done the conversion:

782/782 long_grass01.tga: 1048620 to 1 bytes, 0.00%

(500324073 to 211737324 bytes, 42.32%)

All done.

real 23m32.932s

user 18m0.236s

sys 3m33.693s

The numbers are not quite accurate, since I had a few extra TGAs around, and some DDS files already existed.

Edit: That's roughly 477 Mbyte to 201 Mbyte :)

I am now:

* zipping up and uploading the TGA files to bloodgate.com - will post here once it is up (200Mbytes, aprox. one hour)

* checking in the TGA, DDS changes for a small subset (anything starting with "a" inside dds/models/darkmod/props/textures/ and models/darkmod/props/textures/) - will post when they are checked in.

Local tests show it worked, but I am not really sure :)

Edit: Update: Its not really possible to check in the deletion of files from the commandline, as these are no longer there. I could only check in the deletion of all TGA files in that directory. Ugh. So doing the "A dds..." first.

Adding (bin) dds/models/darkmod/props/textures/airpotion_a.dds

Adding (bin) dds/models/darkmod/props/textures/airpotion_s.dds

Adding (bin) dds/models/darkmod/props/textures/anchor_d.dds

Adding (bin) dds/models/darkmod/props/textures/anchor_s.dds

Adding (bin) dds/models/darkmod/props/textures/antlers_d.dds

Adding (bin) dds/models/darkmod/props/textures/anvil_d.dds

Adding (bin) dds/models/darkmod/props/textures/anvil_s.dds

Adding (bin) dds/models/darkmod/props/textures/apple.dds

Adding (bin) dds/models/darkmod/props/textures/apple_core.dds

Adding (bin) dds/models/darkmod/props/textures/armchair2_d.dds

Adding (bin) dds/models/darkmod/props/textures/armchair3_d.dds

Adding (bin) dds/models/darkmod/props/textures/armchair_d.dds

Adding (bin) dds/models/darkmod/props/textures/arrow_gen.dds

Adding (bin) dds/models/darkmod/props/textures/arrow_gen_s.dds

Transmitting file data ..............

Committed revision 7151.

Please test that these show up correctly in game :)

URL http://bloodgate.com/mirrors/tdm/beta/tdm_...-2008-11-15.rar

username: betatesters

password: Thoushallstnotsteal!

MD5: 24c838744359e3d89d5b405dd4de0269

Warning, this file is about 200Mbyte. Could somebody please (only one person, please :) download it and check in all the TGA files inside into the hires repo?

I'll download it, as I'll need the hires anyway for modeling.

No problem, have enough bandwith and having another backup somewhere is always good :)

My findings: the models check out fine in-game, which is good.

The airpotion_a.tga alpha map is never used. The corresponding shader stage is commented out, so this texture can be removed from SVN.

However, I noticed that all DDS files are in DXT3 format, regardless whether they have an alpha or not. For instance, the arrow_gen has an alpha channel (hence DXT3), but apple.tga doesn't have any alpha in the file, it should be DXT1. I'm not sure the alpha channel check is working fine.

My findings: the models check out fine in-game, which is good.

The airpotion_a.tga alpha map is never used. The corresponding shader stage is commented out, so this texture can be removed from SVN.

Will do.

Edit: Ugh. Somebody needs to clean that material file up. We have f.i. tdm_ption_air (sic!) and tdm_ption_speed (sic!) which sounds just wrong :) (They are used by LWOs)

However, I noticed that all DDS files are in DXT3 format, regardless whether they have an alpha or not. For instance, the arrow_gen has an alpha channel (hence DXT3), but apple.tga doesn't have any alpha in the file, it should be DXT1. I'm not sure the alpha channel check is working fine.

I have a look.

Edit: Oops the check was reversed. Have to redo the conversion. Stand by

Question:

What about these images:

$ identify -verbose models/md5/environments/rope_d.tga
Image: models/md5/environments/rope_d.tga
 Format: TGA (Truevision Targa image)
 Class: DirectClass
 Geometry: 256x256+0+0
 Type: TrueColorMatte
 Endianess: Undefined
 Colorspace: RGB
 Depth: 8-bit
 Channel depth:
Red: 8-bit
Green: 8-bit
Blue: 8-bit
Alpha: 1-bit
 Channel statistics:
Red:
  Min: 45 (0.176471)
  Max: 160 (0.627451)
  Mean: 100.315 (0.393394)
  Standard deviation: 13.9844 (0.0548407)
Green:
  Min: 33 (0.129412)
  Max: 141 (0.552941)
  Mean: 78.3166 (0.307124)
  Standard deviation: 11.6248 (0.0455874)
Blue:
  Min: 17 (0.0666667)
  Max: 113 (0.443137)
  Mean: 54.6654 (0.214374)
  Standard deviation: 10.4232 (0.0408752)
Opacity:
  Min: 0 (0)
  Max: 0 (0)
  Mean: 0 (0)
  Standard deviation: 0 (0)
 Rendering intent: Undefined
 Resolution: 72x72
 Units: Undefined
 Filesize: 256.043kb
 Interlace: None
 Background color: white
 Border color: rgb(223,223,223)
 Matte color: grey74
 Transparent color: none
 Page geometry: 256x256+0+0
 Dispose: Undefined
 Iterations: 0
 Compression: None
 Orientation: Undefined
 Signature: ee58acd82384817d0ff151dcf1d33df25b0a8236
368cf1422a9fbdd6c6158191
 Tainted: False
 Version: ImageMagick 6.3.7 02/18/08 Q16 http://www.imagemagick.org

identify says it has no alpha, and at the same time "1 bit alpha"?

So, the good news is:

782/782 wheel_s.tga: 98348 to 21992 bytes, 22.36% 
(500324073 to 124987554 bytes, 24.98%)

:) 477 Mbyte to 119 Mbyte :)

I am checking in an update of the DDS starting with A.

Edit: I also checked in the following file:

dds/models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_flower_pink.dds

as a DXT3 example for a diffuse map with alpha. It is used by

model models/darkmod/nature/flowers/flowers_patch_01.ase

with the bc_flower_pink skin. Can somebody please check it out in game? The DDS looks fine here in Gimp.

It's still not correct, the arrow_gen.dds is now DXT1, although it has an alpha channel. What does the identify application say about arrow_gen.tga? And what does it say about the bc_flower_pink.dds?

Gah. Here is what identify says about alpha_gen.tga:

te@te:~/.doom3/darkmod$ identify -verbose models/darkmod/props/textures/arrow_gen.tga
Image: models/darkmod/props/textures/arrow_gen.tga
 Format: TGA (Truevision Targa image)
 Class: DirectClass
 Geometry: 512x512+0+0
 Type: TrueColorMatte
 Endianess: Undefined
 Colorspace: RGB
 Depth: 8-bit
 Channel depth:
Alpha: 8-bit
 Channel statistics:
Red:
  Max: 214 (0.839216)
  Mean: 112.336 (0.440534)
  Standard deviation: 52.5251 (0.205981)
Green:
  Max: 219 (0.858824)
  Mean: 96.4071 (0.378067)
  Standard deviation: 50.4838 (0.197976)
Blue:
  Max: 214 (0.839216)
  Mean: 81.3145 (0.31888)
  Standard deviation: 52.9278 (0.20756)
Opacity:
  Max: 255 (1)
  Mean: 28.719 (0.112623)
  Standard deviation: 77.7894 (0.305057)
 Alpha: none	#00000000
 Rendering intent: Undefined
 Resolution: 72x72
 Units: Undefined
 Filesize: 862.352kb
 Interlace: None
 Background color: white
 Border color: rgb(223,223,223)
 Matte color: grey74
 Transparent color: none
 Page geometry: 512x512+0+0
 Dispose: Undefined
 Iterations: 0
 Compression: None
 Orientation: Undefined
 Signature: 504a65e571ce1d8850181e881397df7f61df4fea
3fd7a5baeee3b36b5b7b5acf
 Tainted: False
 Version: ImageMagick 6.3.7 02/18/08 Q16 http://www.imagemagick.org

The script was filtering on "Alpha: none #00000000" :(

It says about the pink_flower:

Alpha: rgba(190,100,203,1)	#BE64CB00

I found another problem, files named "foo_l.tga" seem to be normalmaps and were not skipped. So redoing it once more. My harddisk will hate me :)

This is the important part:

Channel depth:

Alpha: 8-bit

Non-alpha images have 1 bit alpha. Can you adjust your script and give me an example script output of all the images starting with the letters A and B as a test? I'll check against the images one by one in Photoshop whether the script was right.

This is the important part:

Non-alpha images have 1 bit alpha.

Some also don't have any alpha channel - thats what I was using as a criterium first :)

Also, technically, images with an 1 bit ALPHA channel *might* have one color as transparent. I found one image where this was set to "transparent color: #000000", however, looking at it in Gimp, there were no transparent parts? :mellow:

Can you adjust your script and give me an example script output of all the images starting with the letters A and B as a test? I'll check against the images one by one in Photoshop whether the script was right.

Can do this easily. Okay, done, debug versions committed to SVN.

Here are some fun examples.

models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_broomstraw3.tga: rgba(140,130,57,1) #8C823900 4-bit Format: DXT1

Ugh, so I now changed the check to "8 or 4 bit => DXT3". Whew.

Here is the so produced list with:

perl devel/convert_tga2dds models/ --diffuse --specular --debug

The first "alpha" output is the "Alpha: rgba" line, the second is the one from "Alpha: x-bit" and this is followed by the format choosen.

Basically only images with have something other than "no alpha no alpha" would need a check.

models/darkmod/props/textures/airpotion_a.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/airpotion_s.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/amethyst_bc.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/anchor_d.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/anchor_s.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/antlers_d.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/anvil_d.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/anvil_s.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/apple.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/apple_core.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/armchair2_d.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/armchair3_d.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/armchair_d.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/arrow_gen.tga: none    #00000000 8-bit  Format: DXT3
models/darkmod/props/textures/arrow_gen_s.tga: none    #00000000 8-bit  Format: DXT3
models/darkmod/props/textures/backgammon_board.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/banner1_d.tga: rgba(255,255,255,1)    #FFFFFF00 8-bit  Format: DXT3
models/darkmod/props/textures/banner1_s.tga: none    #00000000 1-bit  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/banner2_d.tga: rgba(255,255,255,1)    #FFFFFF00 8-bit  Format: DXT3
models/darkmod/props/textures/banner2_s.tga: none    #00000000 1-bit  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/banner3_d.tga: rgba(255,255,255,1)    #FFFFFF00 8-bit  Format: DXT3
models/darkmod/props/textures/banner3_s.tga: none    #00000000 1-bit  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/banner4_d.tga: rgba(255,255,255,1)    #FFFFFF00 8-bit  Format: DXT3
models/darkmod/props/textures/banner5_d.tga: rgba(255,255,255,1)    #FFFFFF00 8-bit  Format: DXT3
models/darkmod/props/textures/banner6_d.tga: rgba(255,255,255,1)    #FFFFFF00 8-bit  Format: DXT3
models/darkmod/props/textures/banner_black_floral.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/banner_builder_d.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/banner_builder_s.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/banner_grey_yellow.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/bannerwatch_d.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/bannerwatch_s.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/bark.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/bark_02.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/barrel01_d.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/barrel01_s.tga: rgba(25,25,25,1)    #19191900 1-bit  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/barrell_large_d.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/barrell_large_end.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/bathtube_d.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/bathtube_s.tga: rgba(6,6,6,1)    #06060600 1-bit  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_black.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_broomstraw1.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_broomstraw2.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_broomstraw3.tga: rgba(140,130,57,1)    #8C823900 4-bit  Format: DXT3
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_candle.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_candle_lit.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_carrot.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_cerpotin.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_cerpotrd.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_chest03.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_chest03_02.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_chest03_02local.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_chest03_s.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_chest2.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_chest2_s.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_clockface.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_desklamp01.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_desklamp02.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_desklampglass.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_desklampglassnc.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_flower_blue.tga: rgba(81,94,178,1)    #515EB200 8-bit  Format: DXT3
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_flower_pink.tga: rgba(190,100,203,1)    #BE64CB00 8-bit  Format: DXT3
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_flower_red.tga: rgba(173,37,55,1)    #AD253700 8-bit  Format: DXT3
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_flower_white.tga: rgba(128,128,128,1)    #80808000 8-bit  Format: DXT3
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_gargoyle.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_gaugehorizontal.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_gaugesteam.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_gaugetemp.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_gaugevoltage.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_gear_01.tga: rgba(145,126,110,1)    #917E6E00 8-bit  Format: DXT3
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_gembag.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_gems.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_gems_s.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_hi_rough_s.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_hinge01.tga: rgba(45,44,50,1)    #2D2C3200 8-bit  Format: DXT3
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_hinge02.tga: none    #00000000 8-bit  Format: DXT3
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_key01.tga: rgba(50,39,11,1)    #32270B00 8-bit  Format: DXT3
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_key01b.tga: rgba(11,30,50,1)    #0B1E3200 8-bit  Format: DXT3
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_key01r.tga: rgba(50,11,20,1)    #320B1400 8-bit  Format: DXT3
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_key01s.tga: rgba(24,30,36,1)    #181E2400 8-bit  Format: DXT3
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_key02.tga: rgba(164,142,22,1)    #A48E1600 8-bit  Format: DXT3
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_key02b.tga: rgba(22,108,164,1)    #166CA400 8-bit  Format: DXT3
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_key02r.tga: rgba(164,31,22,1)    #A41F1600 8-bit  Format: DXT3
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_key02s.tga: rgba(81,102,104,1)    #51666800 8-bit  Format: DXT3
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_lamp_pole.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_lampglass.tga: No alpha 8-bit  Format: DXT3
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_lampglass3.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_lampglass3nc.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_lampglassnc.tga: No alpha 8-bit  Format: DXT3
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_lamphead.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_lampshade01.tga: rgba(68,55,22,1)    #44371600 8-bit  Format: DXT3
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_lampshade02.tga: rgba(60,37,23,1)    #3C251700 8-bit  Format: DXT3
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_lantern.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_lantern_s.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/md5/chars/steambots/bc_lanternbot.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_lily.tga: rgba(193,62,59,1)    #C13E3B00 8-bit  Format: DXT3
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_lily_white.tga: rgba(230,230,238,1)    #E6E6EE00 8-bit  Format: DXT3
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_lockplate01.tga: rgba(255,255,255,1)    #FFFFFF00 8-bit  Format: DXT3
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_lockplate02.tga: rgba(255,255,255,1)    #FFFFFF00 8-bit  Format: DXT3
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_low_rough_s.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_mirror_silver.tga: rgba(216,209,193,1)    #D8D1C100 8-bit  Format: DXT3
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_monarch.tga: rgba(26,14,18,1)    #1A0E1200 8-bit  Format: DXT3
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_octopus.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_seethru.tga: none    #00000000 1-bit  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_sign01.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_sign01_s.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_sign02.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_sign02_s.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_silver_s.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_stair01.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_teapot.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_teapot_s.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_teatray.tga: rgba(198,204,213,1)    #C6CCD500 8-bit  Format: DXT3
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_turnip.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_yel_flower.tga: rgba(192,176,68,1)    #C0B04400 8-bit  Format: DXT3
models/darkmod/props/textures/beam_old.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/bed_cover.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/belt_pouch.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/belt_pouch_s.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/blankfreshpaper_d.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/blankoldparchment_d.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/blankparchment_d.tga: rgba(8,6,0,1)    #08060000 8-bit  Format: DXT3
models/darkmod/props/textures/boarhead_black_d.tga: none    #00000000 8-bit  Format: DXT3
models/darkmod/props/textures/boarhead_d.tga: none    #00000000 8-bit  Format: DXT3
models/darkmod/props/textures/boarhead_s.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/boat2_d.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/boat_d.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/boletus_d.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/bones2.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/bones3.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/bones_d.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/book_cover1.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/book_cover1_s.tga: rgba(42,42,42,1)    #2A2A2A00 1-bit  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/book_cover2.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/book_open_blank.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/book_open_blank_ornate.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/book_red1.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/book_red2.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/book_red3.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/book_t1.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/book_t2.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/book_t3.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/book_t4.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/bookrow1.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/bookshelf1_d.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/bookshelf1_old.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/bookshelf2.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/boot_large.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/boot_large_s.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/bowl01.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/bp_d.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/bp_s.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/bracket_d.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/bracket_s.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/architecture/windows/bricked_window_d.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/broadhead_d.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/broadhead_s.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/broomst_d.tga: rgba(255,255,255,1)    #FFFFFF00 8-bit  Format: DXT3
models/darkmod/props/textures/broomst_s.tga: No alpha 1-bit  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/brown_rust_d.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/brush_d.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/bucket_metal_d.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/bucket_metal_s.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/bucket_wood_d.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/bucket_wooden_d.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/buckle01_d.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/md5/vehicles/buggy/buggy.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/md5/vehicles/buggy/buggy_d.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/md5/vehicles/buggy/buggy_turret_d.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/burning_coals.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/burning_logs.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/burnt_coals.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/burnt_logs.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/burntw.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/nature/bush_sparse01.tga: rgba(255,255,255,1)    #FFFFFF00 8-bit  Format: DXT3
models/darkmod/nature/bush_sparse02.tga: rgba(255,255,255,1)    #FFFFFF00 8-bit  Format: DXT3
models/darkmod/props/textures/bwindow1.tga: No alpha No alpha  Format: DXT1
models/darkmod/props/textures/bwindow1_s.tga: rgba(1,1,1,1)    #01010100 1-bit  Format: DXT1

Ok, I manually checked all that were not matching the regex .*no alpha no alpha.*. These were all true positives, but these two are strange:

arrow_gen_s.tga: none #00000000 8-bit Format: DXT3

It has an alpha channel, but it is used as specular map >> doesn't need no alpha. I'll remove the alpha channel.

bc_seethru.tga: none #00000000 1-bit Format: DXT1

This one is a very tiny black image, with an alpha channel (full opaque). It doesn't need no alpha, but then again it doesn't seem to be used anywhere.

Ok, I manually checked all that were not matching the regex .*no alpha no alpha.*. These were all true positives, but these two are strange:

arrow_gen_s.tga: none #00000000 8-bit Format: DXT3

It has an alpha channel, but it is used as specular map >> doesn't need no alpha. I'll remove the alpha channel.

bc_seethru.tga: none #00000000 1-bit Format: DXT1

This one is a very tiny black image, with an alpha channel (full opaque). It doesn't need no alpha, but then again it doesn't seem to be used anywhere.

Thanx. Please post when you are done with them, then I start the convert and check-in.

Edit:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
r2490 | baddcog | 2007-05-25 07:17:05 +0200 (Fri, 25 May 2007) | 4 lines
Changed paths:
  A /trunk/maps/Baddcog_test.map
  A /trunk/materials/bc_misc.mtr
  A /trunk/models/darkmod/door_related/door104x56_2hinge.ASE
  A /trunk/models/darkmod/door_related/door104x56_3hinge.ASE
  A /trunk/models/darkmod/door_related/door128x56_2hinge.ASE
  A /trunk/models/darkmod/door_related/door128x56_3hinge.ASE
  A /trunk/models/darkmod/door_related/door96x48_2hinge.ASE
  A /trunk/models/darkmod/door_related/door96x48_3hinge.ASE
  A /trunk/models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_hinge01.tga
  A /trunk/models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_hinge01_local.tga
  A /trunk/models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_hinge02.tga
  A /trunk/models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_lockplate01.tga
  A /trunk/models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_lockplate01_local.tga
  A /trunk/models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_seethru.tga
  A /trunk/skins/bc_doors.skin
  A /trunk/textures/darkmod/wood/door/antique_001.tga

added baddcog_test map - test doors
added 6 reskin doors
added door textures
added mtr files

ack confirms it is not mentioned in materials, skins nor models.

There are two more files that match the pattern "_s.tga.*DXT3":

* chandelier2_s.tga

* stock_s.tga

Both have transparent pixels, tho, so I am leaving them :)

Well, after a few more manual checks and looking through the file list, I think the checkin can go ahead now :) I'll do them based on the first letter of the texture, so we can go back more easily. The TGAs will stay until every DDS is uploaded.

Don't know how long it will take to upload the 100Mbyte or so :)

Trying the conversion with saintlucia, I notied a few of the _s and _f images are used in heightmap() and addnormalmap() expressions. Will fix these later, because I don't want to redo the entire conversion again...

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the long delay.

Now deleted the DDS files for textures that were used in map expressions:

D /trunk/dds/models/darkmod/props/textures/inscriptions_01.dds

D /trunk/dds/models/darkmod/props/textures/inscriptions_01_blank.dds

D /trunk/dds/models/darkmod/props/textures/inscriptions_02.dds

D /trunk/dds/models/darkmod/props/textures/inscriptions_03.dds

D /trunk/dds/models/darkmod/props/textures/inscriptions_04.dds

D /trunk/dds/models/darkmod/props/textures/inscriptions_05.dds

D /trunk/dds/models/darkmod/props/textures/pagepost.dds

Also deleted the old fireplace DDS.

Then I deleted all the TGA files were we now have a DDS version.

All should be good now, except:

* TGA textures created after the conversion (I believe only the two fireplace ones, some builder acolyte)

* TGA textzures in directories with more than 5 path components, this is f.i. for the arrow textures

* lots of GUI TGA files

We eventually should convert these too.

• 2 months later...

Picking this up again, I noticed "perl devel/extract-assets.pl darkmod" spews tons of warnings about DDS and TGA versions of the same texture, e.g. the old TGA file is still in SVN.

Now added code to it to write a "devel/tgadds.sh" file with svn instructions to delete the DDS version, and will then run the resulting script. (We can always restore the TGA files from SVN if we want).

Don't know how they got left over, something must have been screwed up by me :)