The Dark Mod Forums

Constantine's photo textures

Constantine

Here are 4 high-quality ground photo textures (from photos I made this summer in Crimea, Ukraine)

http://hedonism.nm.ru/images/darkmod/ground_a.jpg

http://hedonism.nm.ru/images/darkmod/ground_b.jpg

http://hedonism.nm.ru/images/darkmod/ground_c.jpg

http://hedonism.nm.ru/images/darkmod/ground_d.jpg

I've uploaded them into the betamapper repository in Constantine\textures folder (texdemo.pk4 pack).

https://darkmod.homelinux.com/contributor/b...res/texdemo.pk4

To see them in the game, install the pack and execute "map texdemo" command.

PS. Two of them are in 2048*2048 resolution. I know that 12 Mb per one normal map is a bit too much, but, unfortunately, Doom 3 doesn't support DDS compression for normal maps. If it's too large for including in the mod, tell me and I'll think what I can do with them...

Here are 4 high-quality ground photo textures (from photos I made this summer in Crimea, Ukraine)

http://hedonism.nm.ru/images/darkmod/ground_a.jpg

http://hedonism.nm.ru/images/darkmod/ground_b.jpg

http://hedonism.nm.ru/images/darkmod/ground_c.jpg

http://hedonism.nm.ru/images/darkmod/ground_d.jpg

I've uploaded them into the betamapper repository in Constantine\textures folder (texdemo.pk4 pack).

https://darkmod.homelinux.com/contributor/b...res/texdemo.pk4

To see them in the game, install the pack and execute "map texdemo" command.

PS. Two of them are in 2048*2048 resolution. I know that 12 Mb per one normal map is a bit too much, but, unfortunately, Doom 3 doesn't support DDS compression for normal maps. If it's too large for including in the mod, tell me and I'll think what I can do with them...

Very very cool, just what we need! I have a high-res cobbles texture in my old mills basement, and it looks quite out-of-place against our current blurry wall textures. But I like it so much, you can kneel down and it still looks like a real floor, not some blurry pixel mess. Unfortunately, it doesn't fit a basement, which yours do much better :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

We should certainly get these into the regular texture folders before they're forgotten. They look great!

Thank you :)

What about 2048*2048 size? Is it too big?

No not really - we need them that sharp and we can always make them smaller.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

What about 2048*2048 size? Is it too big?

I'd be curious to see if anyone could tell the difference between a 2048x2048 and 1024x1024 in game.

I'd be curious to see if anyone could tell the difference between a 2048x2048 and 1024x1024 in game.

With a monitor showing 1920x1200 pixel and the map big enough on the wall/floor (e.g. if you don't see more than one tiling at the same time), you can :) For instance, kneel down and view the texture close.

I think, it can be noticeable on large surfaces.

Later I'll upload a couple of wall textures. To make tiling less noticeable, I made so as the tile size was quite big, but to save sharpness nearby, I had to keep 2048*2048 resolution.

It wouldn't cause anxiety if Doom 3 processed DDS normal maps correctly, but it doesn't.

For example, UT3 uses 2048*2048 textures, normal maps are stored in DDS and don't take too much place.

OK, I'll try not to abuse big sizes in future :)

I think, it can be noticeable on large surfaces.

Later I'll upload a couple of wall textures. To make tiling less noticeable, I made so as the tile size was quite big, but to save sharpness nearby, I had to keep 2048*2048 resolution.

It wouldn't cause anxiety if Doom 3 processed DDS normal maps correctly, but it doesn't.

For example, UT3 uses 2048*2048 textures, normal maps are stored in DDS and don't take too much place.

OK, I'll try not to abuse big sizes in future :)

Is it just a bug in D3, or was the fear of D3 developers that normalmaps inside DDS look bad?

In any event, we still have quite a few textures we can compress to DDS, so there is some reserve :)

Is it just a bug in D3, or was the fear of D3 developers that normalmaps inside DDS look bad?

I think it's a bug, or, at least, an incompleteness of the D3 renderer.

I tried convert normal maps to DDS and the surfaces became lit up absolutelly wrong (as if all the light sources have moved in other positions).

EDIT: Hm, may be, in fact, it's a bug of my hardware?

Which process were you following when creating the DDS normalmaps? The guide on the wiki explains pretty well what has to be done, and DDS normalmaps indeed work in D3, unless you're using shader map expressions.

And of course, the DoomConfig.cfg has to be adjusted to support precompressed normals, but I can't recall what the actual setting was, useNormalCompression or something.

In the interest of mod size, normal max resolution for the development repository is 1024. That's a ~3Mb file. The 2048 versions would go on the highres repo. Those are ~12Mb files. Four times the disk space and memory for very, very, very little difference if any. If someone wants to use those, great, but it shouldn't be forced on the masses as part of the distribution.

Well, It has finally started working! It turned out, that

1) The texture must be compressed in RXGB format

2) The variable image_usePrecompressedTextures must be set in 1 (already was)

3) The variable image_useNormalCompression must be set in 2, otherwise D3 tryes to load a TGA version (was 0).

The difference in the quality between the compressed and uncompressed versions in the given concrete textures is vanishingly small. But image_useNormalCompression=2 enforces all the normal maps to be compressed when loading, even if they were stored in TGA (to disable this, highquality/uncompressed/forceHighQuality keywords must be inserted in the bumpmap stage of a material).

In this connection I have a question: are the TDM developers going to compress normal maps into DDS or they will be retained in TGA?

On the one hand, compressing most of the normal maps can noticeably reduce the mod size, prevent waste of video memory, and allow to use big normal maps of size 2048*2048 without some negative consequences.

On the other hand, not every normal map can be compressed without loss of quality, so the materials with such mormal maps must reworked (by inserting highquality/uncompressed/forceHighQuality keywords in a bumpmap stage).

In this connection I have a question: are the TDM developers going to compress normal maps into DDS or they will be retained in TGA?

Normalmaps are going to stay as .tga for a couple different reasons.

A couple of new textures.

Sand (texture 1024*1024, normalmap 1024*1024)

http://hedonism.nm.ru/images/darkmod/sand_a.jpg

Rock (texture 2048*2048, normalmap 1024*1024)

http://hedonism.nm.ru/images/darkmod/rock_a.jpg

Link (betamapper repository)

https://darkmod.homelinux.com/contributor/b...es/texdemo1.pk4

(The pack includes the "texdemo1" map for seeing it in game)

Wow, the rock is _AWESOME_ :o:wub: Please, we need more of these! (brickwalls, and wood :)

wow, both of those are cool.

The first one has a LOT of little details in the dirt.

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

Thank you!

It seems to me that there are enough brickwall textures in TDM :) However, I have a couple of unfinished ones, and now I don't know when I'll be able to upload them.

The brickwall textures are quite okay, but still, they look blurry when compared to some of our hires textures (esp. the new ones from you :)

Brickwalls, wood frames, floors etc are all textures that are stretched over great screen areas and thus can easily look blurry when below 1024 or even when the 1024 pixel version isn't properly done. So we can still use improvements here. ;)

A lot of our door and probably some window textures need also improving as they also cover big areas and thus look quite blurry when compared to nearby small objects like candle holders etc. It is very noticable if you hold a crate in front of a door and suddenly the door looks like pudding :)

Its not so much bricks that we need more of, sneaksiedave brought this up a week or two ago, we need more diversity in the wood textures.

A mix of that, really. We have plenty of some (too many of some in fact), and too few of others. Many of the woods are either of pretty low quality (though we do have good ones) or are from completely different 'sets' -- different quality, different type of wood, different decorative feels -- they just don't go together. I think woods are the biggest offender in that category.

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

and roof textures, the few ones we have are poor.

We also have a lot of "plain brick wall" textures, but only very little (if any?) textures of brick arches in different shapes. This makes it much more difficult to get a realistic brickwall with window/doorframes f.i.