The Dark Mod Forums

installig thiefs den after saint lucia

Crinkelite

Hi there I just finished The Tears of Saint Lucia. I have to say I really enjoyed It, Ive also been walking throught the Dark Radiant wiki tutorial. The tutorial is well written and easy to follow but I am having a little trouble as I did not install the Thiefs Den map. I think I am missing some of the models and textures as I can't find the all the models used in the tutorial. Anyway I'de like to have a go at the Thief's Den. Could anyone advise me on installing the thiefs Den after a TOSL install? or maybe just point me to an appropriate web page.

thanks.

Crinkelite: I am going to make a couple of assumptions:

1. You mean you want to follow this tutorial: http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php/...uide_Start_Here!

2. You have Saint Lucia installed.

If so, then this is what I think you should do (I've not tried this.)

In your doom3\saintlucia folder you should see an fms folder

In the the fms folder should be a thiefs_den folder

In there is thiefs_den.pk4

Rename it temporarily to thiefs_den.zip and open it up.

Extract everything EXCEPT startingmap.txt into your doom3\saintlucia folder (NOT the fms\saintlucia folder.)

That should install all the resources you need. Thief's Den itself should work by entering map thiefs_den in the console but there may be minor errors.

If you follow the tutorial don't hesitate to deviate from the suggested models and textures. You do not have to follow it slavishly but grasp the principles and make your own version.

Good luck with that. Come back if you need more help.

Hi again, so i did as Jesps suggested and followed the instructions proided in his link. tha installed the game correctley and i was able to play the thief's dem map without problems.

However I was still only seeing the same models and resources that I had in the first place (didn't have the door that is used in the tutorial)

so I did as Fidcal suggested and extracted the Thief_den.pk4 into the st.lucia directory I was asked to ver write some files which i declined to do as they were the same size and name. this enabled me to open the thiefs den map in DR and also provided more models.

(insidently not the door that is used in the tutorial but thats ok).

problem is though, about half of the textures in the media browser are still reporting

'shader not found' in the preview window and do not apear when used in a compiled map.

I guess I can continue just using the textures that are working so there's no real problem for now but I'de like to get to the bottom of it.

thank you both for your help.

Please list the path and name of one or two textures that show shader not found. Then check in the .mtr files in the materials folder to find the definitions. That shows the path to the texture image. Then check to see if the image file is where it should be. Perhaps some were omitted. You might try copying them from your Thief's Den install. Sorry if this sounds vague but I haven't got a downloaded copy so I don't know precisely how it was done. But if you list one or two here I will take a look at what I have to see if I can make sense of it.

this texture, and many others are suposed to be at

/saintlucia/textures/darkmod/carpet/rugs/ornate_red_tan01

according to the .mtr file

however there are only three textures and their corresponding .tga files are in the folder, all of which are working correctley in DR.

there is only one .tga file in the

C:\games\Doom3\thiefs_den\textures\darkmod\carpet\rugs

folder and there are no textures. ~I must be doing something wrong because the thiefs den level is playing correctly and displaying all textures.

sorry I couldn't get back to you earlier, I'm kind of busy with college.

You're not doing anything wrong. Those other textures were just not included in the package because they were not used in Saint Lucia. The carpets material file released with Saint Lucia contained all carpet textures the mod contained at that time. Dark Radiant uses the material file to make a list of textures, the texture files in the material file can't be found and DR displays 'shader not found' and they are showing up black in game. Maybe the material file should have been cut down to only the textures used in Saint Lucia.

Maybe the material file should have been cut down to only the textures used in Saint Lucia.

I believe that's what was done for the original Thief's Den release. However, it was abandoned for the Saint Lucia release because it turned out to be too much of a pain to maintain. It's a lot easier to include the files as-is than it is to strip them down, and the advantage of stripping them down is small compared to the effort that would be required.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.