The Dark Mod Forums

training map textures

Flanders

These are some textures that I made for the training map. They are all made from photo's and except for the second they are all non-tiling. I'm not so good at making bump maps so I'd like to have someone more skilled than me to take a look at those. I uploaded them with the names in the links.

textures/darkmod/stone/cobblestones/cobblestones_uneven_brown

3373195952_ef82af88e3_b.jpg

bump map probably ok

textures/darkmod/plaster/framed_square_windows

3381643953_6fd4ae8853_o.jpg

bump map is not good

textures/darkmod/roof/slate_multicolor

3372379033_46f1483867_o.jpg

bump map should be more flat I think

textures/darkmod/plaster/plaster_mossy

3373196952_a35e722d2e_o.jpg

bump map probably ok

textures/darkmod/roof/slate_steel

3372379513_aaf84a9b4f_o.jpg

bump map is not good

edit: added images from the links (just found out how to do that).

The plaster/woodframe textures are really useful for mappers, you can make nice buildings with only a few brushes, so I decided to make another one:

it should go with the second one that I made yesterday.

Oh yes :wub: Now i just need time to update my map :(

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Three small framed textures that complete the set for now:

3381644621_55acff606c_o.jpg

3380114524_1b9dddbc4c_o.jpg

3380114246_44af02469a_o.jpg

All these are uploaded as framed_*.

With these textures you should be able to quickly produce some detailed buildings. I had to try this after making the textures, this one took me less that 5 minutes:

3380114030_15e7540da2_o.jpg

Only the colours don't match, will look into that later.

Yeah, these are great. We definitely need these kinds of timbered walls in sets.

@Renzatic

That's great! Thanks a lot. First thing I tried was using the nvidia plugin for photoshop on the original texture but that looked really bad. Then I tried making some sort of greyscale height map in photoshop and then use the nvidia filter on it, but that didn't turn out well either. After that I made a simple model in maya and used it's surface sampler to make a normal map out of it but I couldnt get anything out of it that looked like a normal map, I just don't know how to use that tool I guess. It was giving me a headache :) .

How do you make normal maps, with a model I guess?

Depends on the texture. If it has overlapping pieces, like your roof there, or if it's got alot of complicated details, I'll make a model and run it through renderbumpflat. Sometimes though, playing with the black and white adjuster and going through selective colors is enough to get a good base bumpmap.

Anyway, I'm assuming you think it's alright, so I'll go ahead and upload it once I fix a few errors and tidy things up a bit. After that, I'll try out one of your frames.

Here you go

The final product has replaced the shot above. I didn't have as much time to play with it as I'd like, so I probably left a ton of errors on the thing. If you've got any problems with the normal not matching the diffuse, weird texture crawl, or anything else that rubs you the wrong way, tell me and I'll fix it up right fast.

I also redid the diffuse a bit. Sharpened up the colors and details and added some AO on top of it and whatnot. If you don't like the changes, feel free to use the original. Won't hurt my feelings none. :P

Edit: Durrr. This is what happens when I get in a hurry. While hauling ass to get it done, I forgot to photoshop out the seam on the horizontal tile. So...consider the above link a beta. You can critique what you don't like and I'll take it into consideration when I finish up tomorrow.

The final product has replaced the shot above. I didn't have as much time to play with it as I'd like, so I probably left a ton of errors on the thing. If you've got any problems with the normal not matching the diffuse, weird texture crawl, or anything else that rubs you the wrong way, tell me and I'll fix it up right fast.

A quick test in doom shows it's working good except the horizontal vertical seam. Besides, I'm not so picky, I personally prefer working on something new rather than spend a lot of time on tweaking things when you can barely see the difference :) .

I also redid the diffuse a bit. Sharpened up the colors and details and added some AO on top of it and whatnot. If you don't like the changes, feel free to use the original. Won't hurt my feelings none. :P

The diffuse definitely looks better :) .

I made some slight changes to some of the framed textures (the top of the triangles weren't centred and the colours match better now). Haven't uploaded on svn, just on my flickr account and edited my post above to show the new textures. If you want to look at one of those that's great.

The shadows aren't so bad they'll look funky alongside your normalmap. They're subtle enough you could call them ambient occlusion and get away with it. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

And speaking of normalmaps, they're still coming. I've had a busy couple of days, but I've got some time tonight to knock a couple of few out.

Hmm, the normalmap looks inverted to me, like the gaps between the boards are sticking out like ridges.

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php/...ting_Normalmaps

The image is lost but there are instructions for inverting normals.

Looks excellent!

Managed to make a normal map out of a model,

Coincidentally I'm trying exactly the same thing right now (different texture). :) We'll see how it goes. Just so there's no duplicated effort by anyone, I'm currently giving this a go:

http://www.cgtextures.com/texview2.php?id=...2e804db43c8d776

Just call me Icarus. I have it tiling so far, next up either blotted out the background or the modeling attempt...

Coincidentally I'm trying exactly the same thing right now (different texture). :) We'll see how it goes. Just so there's no duplicated effort by anyone, I'm currently giving this a go:

http://www.cgtextures.com/texview2.php?id=...2e804db43c8d776

I hope you got some experience with it, that one looks very complicated! I made a simple gothic tile a while a go and that already gave me trouble.

Yeah I tend to shoot too high and burn myself out as a result.... but it's now got an alpha too. :) All that's left is the modeling, which I'm planning on keeping rather simple -- I'll model just the main contours and then use the diffuse to generate detail. If that fails, I'll just make it by hand. I also need to allow time instead of trying to do it all in one day.

That tile's really nice too. Maybe I should try to mimic it as practice/learning.

Edit: if worse comes to worst, we at least have a tiling, and alpha-ready version of it, if another modeler wanted to do it.