The Dark Mod Forums

training map textures

Flanders

Right, I'm giving it a shot to see what I can do, but there's always PS plugin and crazybump (both of which I've already tried and results aren't bad) to fall back on.

I should try that too, crazybump, the video on their website looks awesome.

Well, that didn't take long! :laugh: I'm beaten. No problem admitting this is too much for me. At least I only spent one day on it this time before throwing in the towel. I got some of the scrollwork to look okay modeled, but then it wasn't coming out very good as a normalmap, and then when I got to intersections I was lost.

Fortunately crazybump does a decent enough job for a texture that will likely only be used as decal style overlaid decoration. Not a great job, but decent. I suppose the top half would also make a good railing.

If someone wants to take a crack at modeling it, please feel free. It's a great diffuse and it deserves a first rate normalmap.

Sorry for the derail! Shutting up.

post-58-1238887574_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just in case anyone started taking on the above image, so there's no duplicated effort: I've taken up modeling it and it's coming along nicely so far. And, even if in the end the result isn't that much dramatically better than crazybump, it's enjoyable so far and good practice/learning. ^_^

post-58-1239764919_thumb.jpg

Thanks, yep, so far it works. There's some things I'm noticing: it barely seems to matter, the amount of detail I'm putting into it. Most of it doesn't really show anyway. Oh, if you mean the ridges on the broad arch, I have to perhaps refine that some yet; I just made that last night and only gave it one quick look. I think I want to make the slopes between flat surfaces more visible (less vertical, more slanted), and higher. Right now the profile is a bit flat.

Anyway, just getting started, so I'm sure there's weeks of work ahead. Kinda fun so far though.

• 1 month later...

One minor thing I always disliked about thief was that when you had a half timber texture you couldn't shoot an arrow in the timber parts. So I made these half timber textures and I used some pieces of nodrawsolid_wood in front of it so the timber parts are wooden. But placing the nodrawsolid elements is a tiresome job so I thought of something else. Is it possible to use an alphachannel and a double material defenition in a material file? I tried this already but I couldn't get it working an I don't know a lot about special material files.

Is it possible to use an alphachannel and a double material defenition in a material file? I tried this already but I couldn't get it working an I don't know a lot about special material files.

I'm pretty sure you can't have two different material types in the same shader. That's a global keyword, not stage specific.