The Dark Mod Forums

Alternate walk cycle available

Noisycricket

I uploaded a new version of the walk after sorting through all my file changes and making a few changes. It has a very on-duty guard look. Hopefully someone gets something out of it. Some time in the distant future, i'll create another one that makes him look a little stronger or threatening or pissed off or whatever, not sure how to do it yet, but something that creates a little tension in the mind of the player.

Heres what it looks like compared to the current version [walk diff is the filename]:

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=4594201a46c2eae536df4e8dca141969e04e75f6e8ebb871

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which one is the new one? I can see only *very* minor differences between them in that video.

It would help to stare at one for a good ten to fifteen seconds, analyzing it, then look at the other. There are *huge* differences and were talking gangster rapper vs librarian sized differences to my eyes. I gave mine kind of a bored and tired custodian, can you pick it out?

The toe height tells me that the one on the right is getting tired. The guy on the left has a taller, more powerful posture. The guy on the right is doing a bit of a roll-step, while the guy on the left is letting his boot pivot and clomp down on the ground.

The thing about walk animations is that exaggeration can be your friend or your enemy. Also, it's difficult to make these walks very unique without also having to tweak the walk speed. Otherwise, I expect a proguard on the job to have a puffed-out chest, and the tired custodian to be just a little more hunched over, scuffling his feet (T1/2 guard style).

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

I also uploaded a female walk.

I noticed that the female walk doesn't move the origin, this causes the AI to moonwalk in-place.

Apart from that I think it definitely looks more female, as far as I could tell with just the proguard as testmodel. :) We'll need to check it out on the actual noblewoman.

edit: There is female_walk and female_walk_cycle, though I didn't notice a difference?

Ha! Yes, animating a female with the proguard was a tad odd! I must have forgot to key in the X position, that why hes, or shes, moon walking. I'll have to re-upload it in a bit. For now you can key in 65.164 for the x translation value at the last frame. The one that I uploaded last [an hour ago] is the correct one. I will delete the last one.