The Dark Mod Forums

How do I set low res wide screen?

Fidcal

I'm trying to set wide screen 800 x 600 but it won't let me. If I set custom 800 600 in doomconfig then the menu overrrides that when I next run dark mod and I get something like 1440 x something. That old machine struggles on high res. I've had this working before by fiddling with the config but now I can't get it. Why can the player not select low res?

Which wide screen dimensions do you need? I can add another low-res wide-screen setting to the menus.

The currently lowest value is 1024x600 which I figured is the lowest native LCD resolution out there anyway. Which monitor are you using? Why not just running it in windowed mode in 800x600?

Finally got it but it was a battle for half an hour. This is what I had to do in the end:

UNinstall the FM so I was only dealing with the darkmod config

Deleted all references to the screen mode in the config in base.

Manually entered the mode as custom -1 (I think it's r_mode)

Entered 1088 x 612.

Then I got 800 x 600! Not wide screen but I'll settle for that. I'm guessing it took the nearest allowed. If there is any way to automate this into the menu right down to 640 x 480 then I think we should. What are the equivalent wide screen settings for 1024 x 768, 800 x 600, and 640 x 480?

Now I've got black textures which fortunately there was a post today so hopefully I can fix that. First time I've seen this. At first sight it just looks really dark

I cannot solve the black textures problem. I already have the settings prescribed on the wiki. And this was working yesterday on this machine. It's only since the new download. Must surely be a config error of some sort.

I have to leave this tonight. This has all gone pear-shaped and I was hoping to get a couple of hours test playing in. But I'll start fresh in the morning.

Fidcal, can you check the conetnts of the archive tdm_base01.pk4, there is a glprogs folder in there. Is the file test.vfp present?

If not, I haven't uploaded a fixed package yet, I can do that tomorrow I guess.

I still need to know: which screen resolution does your monitor have?

Yes, test.vfp is there.

Looking in the manual I see this monitor does not have any low res widescreen settings. But I was having difficulty setting any screen res settings. I think the problem may have been I have a wide screen TV so naturally I selected widescreen. It's a low spec machine so naturally I tried to set low res manually in the config. I'll do some more testing tomorrow with a non-widescreen setting.

I cannot solve the black textures problem. I already have the settings prescribed on the wiki. And this was working yesterday on this machine. It's only since the new download. Must surely be a config error of some sort.

I have to leave this tonight. This has all gone pear-shaped and I was hoping to get a couple of hours test playing in. But I'll start fresh in the morning.

After setting both doomconfig.cfg's one time to get the right resolution when the game would exit and restart while loading a map. By both, i mean the one in the darkmod folder and the one in the doom base folder. Perhaps it was a coincidence that it started working then. I've also gotten rid of a strange graphics problem (but not black textures) by deleting both doomconfig.cfg's....

Solved the screen res. I checked all the download files again and I missed the zip update with the config. Now the menu screen res works and I can select widescreen 800 x 600 which I couldn't before. Still got the black textures but I'll post on the package thread for that.

Ok, the menu supports a few 16:9 resolutions now as well. I had to change the text "Widescreen (16:10)" to "Aspect Ratio", where the user can select between 4:3, 16:9 and 16:10, as supported by the game engine.

New 16:9 modes are: 1280x720, 1366x768, 1920x1080