The Dark Mod Forums

Moonlight through windows?

KaiserJohan

Hello,

I've been trying fixing some moonlight shining through windows, which looks pretty neat. It was used alot in T3 and was fantastic. Does it exist in TDM to?

I've been trying creating a patch and applying the moon_light_rays texture (and similiar stuff) but it dosn't show anything. I cannot find anything on "sfx" and alike; only rain/snow but they appear to work differently :)

Cheers

KJ: You cannot change a worldspawn classname to an entity. You have to create an entity from worldspawn using the RMB grid view menu. If the entity you want is a func_static then there is also a shortcut on that menu. Only after you have created an entity can you change it to something else by clicking the classname and using the button in Entity Inspector.

To resize any brush/worldspawn entity (ie, not a model) you have to press the controls to cycle through its components one by one. Default is TAB and SHIFT + TAB. Each component then highlights separately so you can work on it to clone, delete, resize etc. Press Esc to get out of this mode. Warning: don't delete a component if it is the only one on that entity or you are left with an entity with no 'body' so it doesn't show in DR but is a black box in-game.

Warning: don't delete a component if it is the only one on that entity or you are left with an entity with no 'body' so it doesn't show in DR but is a black box in-game.

aha!!! had problems with that one before. thats good to know. Also related, it should still show up on the entity list in the .map file, so you could delete it from there, right?

To resize any brush/worldspawn entity (ie, not a model) you have to press the controls to cycle through its components one by one. Default is TAB and SHIFT + TAB. Each component then highlights separately so you can work on it to clone, delete, resize etc. Press Esc to get out of this mode.

you can do that?! what about adding more worldspawn to an existing func_static? is that possible too? for the longest time i have been converting / reverting everything to and from func_static to edit / add pieces.

/derail

Any tips on how to construct the lights? dosn't look good no matter what I do.

Using locations settings would be the fastest way to "tint" the ambient blueish when the player is in this room:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Ambient_Sounds%2C_a_zone_approach#Ambient_light_settings

Also, you can create a small blueish local ambient light there. I have an old mill map which uses this technique, if you want to check it out.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

That's nice for the ambient setting of the room, but what about the rays? :) I want a light that sort of mirrors the moonrays :P

The rays itself are lit anyway, the only thing you need is a light that creates the "light spot" on the floor. I used spotlights with a custom textures (that I made and that should be in TDM) with the frames. Lemme see, here is a DR screenshot:

post-144-127670136985_thumb.png

Here is the in-game shot:

post-144-127670202057_thumb.jpg

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Oh, yum. Love the clear windows and view outside. Though I don't see rays in-game?

Sorry, swept away into OT admiring.

:) No problem. I don't see the rays either, but I had some troubles to load my map and this is also with HDR, which makes everything not-the-right-light, either. Also, I loaded a very old versionof the map with some broken entities etc. It was just a 5min affair to get an ingame shot, tho :)

Sadly, I will never continue this map as it has too many beginners-errors from me and needs way to much work to finish.

you can do that?! what about adding more worldspawn to an existing func_static? is that possible too? for the longest time i have been converting / reverting everything to and from func_static to edit / add pieces.

/derail

Yes. First select the worldspawn item(s) then (important) select the entity last. Then use menu > edit > reparent primitives. This is not just for func_static entities but any entity that is made up of brushes/patches, eg, a door.

I think I have a decent moonlight now, however what about lighting up the window?

I've read the guide http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=How_to_give_Textures_a_nice_Glow , it sounds simple but when mentioning "press K", well, there's no keybind to K by default :P Did he mean Light (L)? I tried it but it's all greyed out.

Cheers

Yes I think so but that is an old article so he may be using the old Doom editor. DR might not be configured to do this directly because it's not a light or a known entity that uses this so instead, give the entity the spawnarg _color 1 1 1 then select it to highlight it then click the button at the bottom to get the colour selector.