Photo

Fan Mission: Deceptive Shadows by Shadowhide (16/Sep/12)

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

Poll: Fan Mission: Deceptive Shadows by Shadowhide (16/Sep/12) (53 member(s) have cast votes)

Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag

1. Poor (6 votes [11.32%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.32%

2. Tolerable (12 votes [22.64%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.64%

3. Good (22 votes [41.51%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 41.51%

4. Excellent (11 votes [20.75%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.75%

5. Near Perfect (2 votes [3.77%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.77%

Appearance: Vertical use, Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct bad texturing etc.

1. Poor (1 votes [1.89%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.89%

2. Tolerable (2 votes [3.77%] - View)

3. Good (8 votes [15.09%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.09%

4. Excellent (31 votes [58.49%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 58.49%

5. Near Perfect (11 votes [20.75%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.75%

Story & Text: Story. Text. Briefing. Graphic storytelling

1. Poor (2 votes [3.77%] - View)

2. Tolerable (9 votes [16.98%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.98%

3. Good (22 votes [41.51%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 41.51%

4. Excellent (13 votes [24.53%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 24.53%

5. Near Perfect (7 votes [13.21%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.21%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#51 Oldjim

Oldjim

Uber tester

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2013 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:50 AM

I agree with Sir Taffsalot.
The amount of time I have spent trawling through all the rooms looking for hidden switches and keys is really off putting and, other than the atmospherics and graphics which are good, there doesn't seem to be any incentive to finish it

Edited by Oldjim, 20 September 2012 - 08:50 AM.

• Springheel likes this

#52 pusianka

pusianka

• PipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:37 PM

Key hunt is indeed a good name for the issue of this FM but aside from that, how come I haven't encountered any problems of what others had?!?!

#53 SeriousToni

SeriousToni

Beginner Contest 2012 Winner

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2196 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:42 PM

russian pc..

:P
"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

#54 pusianka

pusianka

• PipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:39 PM

I'm ain't russian...

#55 ilovethief

ilovethief

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:16 PM

Help i have some questions?

1. i have small lever, where to use it?
2. how to open secret wall door in the clement room? (button does not work)
3. where is key for a little box in the dining room?

Please answer...

#56 Tels

Tels

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15024 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:22 PM

I have not played this (as most FMs :) but I'd like to congratulate Shadowhide for finishing his FM. This is good news for everyone!
  • ithel likes this
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

#57 SeriousToni

SeriousToni

Beginner Contest 2012 Winner

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2196 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:55 PM

I have not played this (as most FMs)

Posted Image
  • ithel likes this
"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

#58 simplen00b

simplen00b

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:31 PM

Help i have some questions?

1. i have small lever, where to use it?
2. how to open secret wall door in the clement room? (button does not work)
3. where is key for a little box in the dining room?

Please answer...

Re no 1: I'm guessing it's
Spoiler
but I could be wrong cuz I don't have that lever. Where did you find it?
No. 2:
Spoiler

No 3 I'm stuck on too.
'Fraid I'm struggling to enjoy this now - I felt like I was on a real roll:
Spoiler

NO. NO. NO. Do not tell me, now, at this climactic moment of excitement, that I have to go and find another wretched key.

Sorry. Sorry. Sorry for shouting*, just really disappointed. Up till now this is probably the only key hunt FM I've ever played that I've actually enjoyed, but this has killed it for me, for this session anyway. Just wish I hadn't been allowed to get this far without picking up everything else that I needed to pick up (I know, easier said than done).

I'll go and calm down and come back to it tomorrow. Sorry again. :(

*Edited to reduce typographical impact of my venting

Edited by simplen00b, 21 September 2012 - 09:17 AM.

#59 demagogue

demagogue

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5226 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:16 PM

Re no 1: I'm guessing it's

Spoiler
but I could be wrong cuz I don't have that lever. Where did you find it?

Spoiler

No 3 I'm stuck on too. (3. where is key for a little box in the dining room?)

Spoiler

Posted Image

#60 simplen00b

simplen00b

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:23 AM

Thanks demagogue. Very gracious response to my venting. I had clambered around
Spoiler
but not seen anything. I'll give it another go tonight.

In reflection, I think it's to the game design's credit that it took me this long to get frustrated (and if that doesn't win me Most Back-Handed Compliment of the Year Award, nothing will). I normally hate searching for levers and stuff with a vengeance and just give up, but this one didn't feel too difficult and I was trotting around it quite happily. I just felt like (warning: incoming self-justification) I had got this wonderfully wrapped present (espec. given a comment that the best stuff is at the end) and I was starting to peel off layer after layer of lovely wrapping paper and it was all coming off beautifully and I was just getting to the very last layer when - I had to stop and go into town to buy the right pair of scissors cuz that was the only way to take this layer off and I didn't know where the scissors were and - yeah, well, anyway.

Will probably edit earlier post to make it less of an assault on the eyeballs for unsuspecting forum browsers.

#61 raymeld

raymeld

• PipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:22 AM

I've checked out TTLG threads etc , can't find anyone else who has experienced freezes with this mission as per my last two posts. Might be to do with my computer but as I often replay old misssions and they are o.k I can't see that's the reason. Shame looked decent apart from that , but at least I won't be subjected to the key search frustration now! :rolleyes:

#62 Tels

Tels

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15024 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:10 AM

:o

What little time I have goes into developtment of TDM, so there is almost no time to actually play. (Besides, everytime I play for more than 5 minutes I see another bug that needs fixing :)
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

#63 Thiefette

Thiefette

• PipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:13 PM

I've finished playing this mission and have to start off with saying congrats too Shadowhide. He seems to have listened and learned well. That being said I don't think I'd have finished without spoiler help so thanks to those who finished before me.

Spoiler

There was alot I enjoyed about this mission but the frustrating searches took some of that away. Thanks for the mission Shadowhide.

#64 HAL-Fan

HAL-Fan

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:05 PM

Maybe this will cause a little smile on your lips: I’d like to ask sth. about the mission, but don’t know how to use that "spoiler thingie"... Consider me total newbie :)

#65 Thiefette

Thiefette

• PipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:11 PM

Maybe this will cause a little smile on your lips: I’d like to ask sth. about the mission, but don’t know how to use that "spoiler thingie"... Consider me total newbie :)

In the repy box look for the little square with green lines (special BB code). Click on it and a menu opens, scroll to spoilers and click on that. Type your spoiler between the brackets.

Also welcome to the Dark Mod.

Edited by Thiefette, 21 September 2012 - 02:12 PM.

#66 HAL-Fan

HAL-Fan

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:16 PM

In the repy box look for the little square with green lines (special BB code). Click on it and a menu opens, scroll to spoilers and click on that. Type your spoiler between the brackets.

Also welcome to the Dark Mod.

Spoiler

#67 HAL-Fan

HAL-Fan

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:21 PM

So, here’s my problem:
Spoiler

It is nice mission but this constant search is starting to be a little annoying.

#68 ilovethief

ilovethief

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:29 PM

I made it, finally i complete this mission and i i'm very happy... :D i will gladly help anyone if need of help with this mission...

#69 ilovethief

ilovethief

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:56 PM

So, here’s my problem:

Spoiler

It is nice mission but this constant search is starting to be a little annoying.

You opened a hole in the wall opposite that switch.

#70 raymeld

raymeld

• PipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:09 PM

Frustrating freezes anyone? :angry: Maybe not as everyone seems to be finishing it o.k. Had hoped to solve it before I pack the main computer away for the house move but guess I'll look at it again November time.

Edited by raymeld, 21 September 2012 - 03:12 PM.

#71 raymeld

raymeld

• PipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:13 PM

I don't think I'll rate it in view of the above , may be too biased.

#72 simplen00b

simplen00b

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:28 PM

Frustrating freezes anyone? :angry: Maybe not as everyone seems to be finishing it o.k.

Dunno if it'd help, but have you posted your system specs anywhere? I've got a fairly powerful set-up and I got some sudden frame-rate drops but it doesn't sound like that's your problem. (S'hide uses a lot of moving-shadow lighting, which I love but can be a real frame-rate killer IIRC.)

Anyway, just wanted to say I've finally completed the mission (on easy) and - WOW. The moment when the final challenge kicked off was one of the most jaw-dropping moments I've had in any - well, I was going to say FM but I think I could say any Thief mission, period - and I found I needed some pretty Thief-y skills to get round. More than made up for the earlier frustration, although after exploring one avenue fruitlessly, I did use a spoiler to find out where to go - it was hard enough to get around knowing where I was going, let alone stumbling around cluelessly.

After some consideration, I voted 'Excellent' for gameplay, which may be over-flattering given my earlier outburst, but the frustrations really were outweighed by the good stuff (I'd say I had similar frustration levels with Heart of Lone Salvation, which I also loved despite the difficulties).
Voted 'Excellent' for appearance - the only thing that stopped me voting 'near perfect' was that the fog effects especially got a bit too much at times (especially in crouch mode, which is my default position a lot of the time). Voted 'Good' for story - really liked the whole background ambience of the place gradually being consumed by pagan evil, but at the same time it didn't feel like I could much about it except get out before the whole place went down :) .

Maybe we should have a collection of spoilers for key-hunt-haters so they can do all the legwork as quickly as possible and then enjoy the final section. It really is quite amazing. I know S'hide says he's never going to make another one. I really hope he changes his mind.

#73 Azatoth

Azatoth

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:30 PM

@ilovethief: well I do need a little bit of help over here. It's a silly problem, really.
Spoiler

#74 Oldjim

Oldjim

Uber tester

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2013 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:33 PM

Finally finished it - the big problem was I didn't find Cedric's key on the first play through
Spoiler

The end part was by far the most interesting but I have to admit I needed a couple of hints to find out
Spoiler

#75 Oldjim

Oldjim

Uber tester

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2013 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:35 PM

@ilovethief: well I do need a little bit of help over here. It's a silly problem, really.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Edited by Oldjim, 21 September 2012 - 04:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users