The Dark Mod Forums

Several issues while surfing in the internet.

Obsttorte

Hi everyone,

I have some really weird and annoying bugs that started some days ago. Quiet often sites are not showing up properly (I can quiet often see html or javascript like looking code popping up everywhere, while half of the site is missing or misplaced), downloads are failing shortly before the end and I'm not able to upload anything here anymore or to open some sites like mediafire.com for example. I've already tried falling back on an old version of firefox, as well as using chrome, but the problem does not seem to be browser dependent.

Also, my internet connection is only about three or four months old, so everything is pretty new.

What I am asking is what may be causing this issue, and how I can fix it.

I did not do any updates neither to my os nor to my drivers, actually I did nothing. It just started happening.

Thanks for your help in advance.

post-11230-0-67024500-1406580711_thumb.jpg

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

1. Will try that

2. First I had firefox, and yes I cleared the cache. I even completely deleted it and reinstalled an older version without success.

Not to distract from the issue at hand, but the way you've phrased the title, it sounds like the internet is a law enforcement/military organisation... I wasn't aware there was an Internet Army :P

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

As Bikerdude has suggested, the first place to start is checking and ridding the system of malware/viruses. Going from "everything is working" to "now its not", this is usually the case.

Couldn't this also be a router malfunction or an ISP problem? it sounds like packets are being lost and not re-requested. Do you have other computers or smartphones on your network that don't have the problem? That would be a quick way to prove that it's local to one machine.

Also have you rebooted your router/modem that connects you to the internet..?

Yeah, I've tried that.

Couldn't this also be a router malfunction or an ISP problem? it sounds like packets are being lost and not re-requested. Do you have other computers or smartphones on your network that don't have the problem? That would be a quick way to prove that it's local to one machine.

I only have one computer. No smartphone or other stuff.

If it would be a router malfunction and or an ISP problem, how could I solve it.

Not to distract from the issue at hand, but the way you've phrased the title, it sounds like the internet is a law enforcement/military organisation... I wasn't aware there was an Internet Army :P

Fixed :D

Fixed was a reply to Xarg's post regarding the title of the track. The problem itself is not fixed yet. :(

Eliminate the easy stuff first. You already restarted your router/modem.

Hopefully you have your settings for your router backed up. Do a hard reset on the router back to system defaults. Test at defaults. Load your settings and test again. If you haven't updated firmware on your router, might as well do it if the above doesn't address the issue. Takes no time at all and could fix a corrupted firmware.

Scan for virii/malwares.

Edited by Lux

I did the following by now

Restart router. Reset router. Scan for viruses etc...

I also tested whether it works using my old internet stick. With that one, the problems do not appear so I guess it is a problem with either my hardware (router or wlan stick) or the network itself is messed up (wouldn't be the first time).

In the latter case I can only wait for it to get better.

Frustrating :(

You could try using a VPN service... there are probably some free trials out there. If it works using VPN, you know it's a software problem somewhere between your router and your ISP. I remember I couldn't get at this forum and several other sites for a couple weeks until my ISP sorted something out with a remote patch to my router, but VPN fixed it in the meantime.

Nice idea, but the problem is that I cannot complete one fucking download

It is getting more and more weird. An update of one of my games over steam yesterday worked like a charm. Also, I've just tried playing Hawken and it worked like a charm.

So it seems to work in principle, but only in certain cases.

In addition I canot see the menu were you can choose from smileys, put links and code etc. anymore when I post and have to use the full editor because the side is only responding to the "add reply" button there anymore.

Unfortunately I don't know what the difference between downloading something from steam and downloading something from any website is. Could it be that they are using different types of protocols or similar /(like one using http and the other one ... whatever else)? Could this be an indicator on what is going wrong?EDIT: I am able to download from mega.co.nz?!

I have such a file but can't delete it neither change the rights on it, although I am an administrator?!

The easiest way to clean up that file - in case required - would be to copy it to another directory, like c:\tmp.

There you can edit it and copy it back to c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\ and Windows UAC will actually ask you for permission.

An alternative method to make it clear to the Windows UAC that you are really trying to do an admin task, would be to right-click on your favority editor and click 'Launch as Administrator'.

Note that any Antivirus program may prohibit that action nonetheless.

E.g. I am using Avira Antivirus and in order to get that file copied back - or edited - I have to temporarily disable the protection of the Windows hosts file under 'General'/'Security'.

That file should acually be virtually blank and shouldn't read much more then

# Copyright © 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.

#

# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.

#

# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each

# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should

# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.

# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one

# space.

#

# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual

# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.

#

# For example:

#

# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server

# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.

# 127.0.0.1 localhost

# ::1 localhost

Edited by gnartsch

I have this line

127.0.0.1    localhost

but without the #

Overwriting the file worked, but didn't solve my issues.

As some sites are working just fine and some are not, I guess it may be a problem with the net itself, nothing on my side.

I once had the problem that I couldn't get online at all for roughly two days, and as there were some storms in the last couple of days, it may be a technical error on the internet itself.

The problem is that I have no way to verify that, except to wait for it to get better

I can't access the side. But as I was able to download alberics curse from mega, can you upload the installer there for me please?

You ran virus scans but did you do a malware sweep? This sounds like that to me. Run Malwarebytes or SpybotSearchandDestroy if you have not.

127.0.0.1 localhost

is just a loopback address for localhost which is your computer. Its a common address and correct. The "#" symbol in that file is the marker for a "comment" line so no worries there. You can comment out that line but it should have no effect as the localhost address is 127.0.0.1. That enables you to type http://localhost in your browser address bar and connect to a web server service if you're running one.

Put a # sign in front of it as I don't imagine you're running a server and its commented out in the default config.

You might try backing up your bookmarks, uninstalling Firefox and Chrome, deleting the directories, restarting, reinstalling FF or Chrome. Do you also get this behavior in Internet Explorer?

Edited by Lux