The Dark Mod Forums

Chests & Footlockers Non-Solid Bug Fix

Fidcal

There is a bug in Release 1 in chest and footlocker bodies assigned the atdm:froblock entity (which is all the container prefabs.) You may find the chest body goes non-solid after opening and you can walk through it. This is not always noticeable because there may be a patch cloth inside that blocks the player but it should still be fixed. Or the lockpin might block you to I guess. This is why we've not noticed it properly before. To fix it give the atdm:froblock container body the property and value:

clipmodel_contents 1027

This is only needed for Release 1. On the next update this will be fixed.

Speaking of which.

I saw you mention that it would be good practice for FM Builders to make, say, only the lid or the front panel frobbable; is there anyway you can make it so the Builders don't have to learn this one-by-one, and make the models work so that just the lid and the lock are frobbable?

The frobbing-the-desired-item when mulitple items are close to each other thing really is a pain.

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

Not really, the lock is an integral part of the model. Another frobbable lock could be stuck on top of the first but it would have to be done by the FM maker anyway. Also a frobbable chest body helps to stop the player frobbing right through the side of the chest which is a bit odd even when open.

It is not a complete solution but it does help to have a higher crouch so you can lean over better but I could not get support for this. I never liked the really low crouch which is virtually a high crawl. If anyone wants to know how to convert so they can toggle between mid crouch and crawl heights then let me know. It does NOT break missions, ie, it won't let you get into places the FM maker didn't want you to. You can still only go as low as you do now. I've used it maybe over a year and it's great. :)

It is not a complete solution but it does help to have a higher crouch so you can lean over better but I could not get support for this. I never liked the really low crouch which is virtually a high crawl. If anyone wants to know how to convert so they can toggle between mid crouch and crawl heights then let me know. It does NOT break missions, ie, it won't let you get into places the FM maker didn't want you to. You can still only go as low as you do now. I've used it maybe over a year and it's great. :)

You know what? That's actually the other major thing I was thinking about (along with the multiple frobbales problem) when beta testing for Sonosuke's Livng Expenses. It isn't actually a bug but a feature request kind of thing that I wish the TDM crew would be able to work out: a variable crouch - for getting to the back of that middle drawer. :ph34r:

These are things may all involve the mouse wheel, which has got to be pretty much ubiquitous by now, eh?

• The idea about opening doors with control (theres a thread here? or at ttlg?)
  • This possibility of a variable crouch (maybe just while standing)
  • The rifling through a 'stack' of frobbables

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

Oh, I completely understand that. And I understand that a list like that is a little obnoxious, but it's born of enthusiasm. I am so impressed by things like, for one prime instance, TDM's excellent object manipulation - things that are so cool and game elevating - that I have become wishful.

I certainly don't doubt the priorities are priorities.

Not really, the lock is an integral part of the model. Another frobbable lock could be stuck on top of the first but it would have to be done by the FM maker anyway. Also a frobbable chest body helps to stop the player frobbing right through the side of the chest which is a bit odd even when open.

Well then, as long as the chest is locked, the whole body could be frobbable and once it has been picked, only the lit is frobbable. I don't know exactly what you mean be "frobbing right through the side of the chest" though. Something outside the chest is frobbed, while you look at the chest?

But do tell, about the crouch height tweak...

In Dark Mod you frob objects right through thin brushes and models; even a wall if it's not thick enough (so take care with thin walls and putting a crucial key on a shelf - you need to test you can't frob it from outside!) One answer is a caulk brush entity panel with property frobable 1 so it kind of hijacks the frob. So we need a method to stop players frobbing things right out of a locked chest. If the chest body is frobable then it tends to hijack the frob so its hard to frob an object unless you lean over the open top. But it's not 100% so we include a special entity in the chest that disables frob on everything in the chest and re-enables it when the chest opens. But you might still frob right through the side of the open chest if the chest is not frobable.

OK. This is how to toggle between crouch and crawl:

UNinstall your current FM

Open darkmod\DoomConfig.cfg

Insert the following line (change "z" to whatever key you want but don't conflict with an existing setting.)

bind "z" "toggle pm_crouchheight 38 50;toggle pm_crouchviewheight 34 46;"

You just hit the key to switch between crouch and crawl.

NOTES:

The low height is default at every game start and after a quickload.

You need to remember if a mantle into a low space fails, or just crouching under a low overhead fails, you need to toggle to the low height. This may catch you out a few times at first but you do get used to it.

In an FM designed for the well-lit player to crouch past say a window with a guard looking out you might be spotted if your head is sticking up too high! (I did that in the trainer.)

Altogether it adds another interesting and useful element to gameplay. Plus you can lockpick and see the door handle better plus you can pickpocket without looking up the guard's assuming you have to crouch to get near say on tile. ;)