The Dark Mod Forums

art painting loot

Fidcal

We discussed somewhere about taking a painting from a frame as loot or special quest object. I'm just looking at this again. I've just committed a rolled up canvas inventory icon as a start. Not sure if it's good enough. Feel free to replace it. It's tga for now, will convert to dds if OK.

post-400-126391956537_thumb.jpg

The taking of a painting I think can be done with a simple func_static flat panel, probably a patch I'm not sure yet. Set up with any of the model painting textures and placed over an empty frame on the wall. The flat panel canvas is never seen on its own in game but always either attached to a frame or in the inventory so its rigidity is unimportant

@Springheel: I think you mentioned you could produce a model empty frame fairly easily. (or frames I guess if it needs two or three sizes.) Are you OK to do this? An alternative is a simple patch placed over any painting I guess which makes this actually do-able right now.

Yeah, if you make a func_static 0.125unit-thick brush with an "empty canvas" texture on it, and hide it on game-start, and show it on the player frobbing the frame (and then set the frame "non-frob" via script) it could be done right now.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Looks good to me,

I think it would be easy enough to make each of the frames we have bare. Probably need a reskin canvas for each one to combine for loot paintings. A canvas object would probably be easy to remove from game than a patch I assume. (I don't know if patches can be moved/destroyed)

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Looks good to me,

I think it would be easy enough to make each of the frames we have bare. Probably need a reskin canvas for each one to combine for loot paintings. A canvas object would probably be easy to remove from game than a patch I assume. (I don't know if patches can be moved/destroyed)

Hm, yeah, if we make a new skin for the painting, you just need to swap the skin out when the player frobs the painting, give him loot via script.

For instance:

dds/models/darkmod/props/textures/painting01_d.dds

which is this:

post-144-126392095176_thumb.png

can easily be turned into:

post-144-126392089586_thumb.png

(the normal map is not done and the "canvas" was baked into the diffuse with Gimp. Some real artist can probably do this better, like adding slashes etc. Also, it shoudn't be actually an empty canvas, but more invisibility, with the frame being "left-over-bits-of-the-canvas", so you can see through the center. Making the diffuse transparent there should work.)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Something like this:

(Gimp XCF file on request)

post-144-126392148563_thumb.png

(the inside of the image is largely transparent, not good to see here due to the website background shining through)

Oh yeah of course - just needs another skin. I can do that. Leave it with me. I had the silly idea it needed a model.

Mmm. I also think the art entity itself can be much simpler than needing a special script. It will just be a custom loot object. I'll fiddle around with that.

@Springheel: I think you mentioned you could produce a model empty frame fairly easily. (or frames I guess if it needs two or three sizes.) Are you OK to do this? An alternative is a simple patch placed over any painting I guess which makes this actually do-able right now.

Making a single skin is easy, but there are several different kinds of frames; getting them to match might be tricky.

An alternative is a simple patch placed over any painting I guess which makes this actually do-able right now.

I could probably bake this into the model, so you'd just have to swap skins on frobbing. That would probably be the most versatile option.

Making a single skin is easy, but there are several different kinds of frames; getting them to match might be tricky.

I could probably bake this into the model, so you'd just have to swap skins on frobbing. That would probably be the most versatile option.

Sounds good. Well, I'm not waiting on this specifically so if you want to make a note for after the update. It's just for general use but I'd use it in my FM.

Ok, I'm uploading a modified painting01.lwo file. This has an extra plane slightly in front of the original. When the "torn" skin is enabled, this plane shows a ripped texture.

At the moment, all the paintings except one will show the ripped texture. Someone will need to go through the painting skins and adjust them like this example:

skin portrait_in_armour

{

model models/darkmod/decorative/wall/painting01.lwo

model models/darkmod/decorative/wall/painting01_m.lwo

model models/darkmod/decorative/wall/painting01_l.lwo

painting01 painting02

tdm_painting_empty textures/common/nodraw

}

skin portrait_in_armour_torn

{

model models/darkmod/decorative/wall/painting01.lwo

model models/darkmod/decorative/wall/painting01_m.lwo

model models/darkmod/decorative/wall/painting01_l.lwo

painting01 painting02

}

If we like this I'll adjust the other two paintings as well.

Ok, I'm uploading a modified painting01.lwo file. This has an extra plane slightly in front of the original. When the "torn" skin is enabled, this plane shows a ripped texture.

At the moment, all the paintings except one will show the ripped texture. Someone will need to go through the painting skins and adjust them like this example:

If we like this I'll adjust the other two paintings as well.

Yeah, sounds good, please do. I can care for the skins, but if somebody beats me, by my guest :)

Did an empty skin already, but it has the problem of the "non-matching" frames (e.g. it matches only one) and it misses somehow the inner torn bits:

post-144-126392910882_thumb.jpg

Atm I added loot entities, but I am a few problems with this.

When I add "frob_action_script" to a loot entity, the entity is just put into the inventory, and the script never runs. If I build a custom entity, I cannot get it to highlight (and thus no frob, and thus no script is run).

Making the script swap the skin is easy, but then it also needs to simulate the "put some loot into players inventory" and this is more tricky, either you a sep. loot dummy entity (in a blue room), or you need to simulate all the loot stuff yourself (play the sound, set the inv icon ec.). Both seem complicated.

The best would be if I could roughly this:

entityDef atdm:loot_painting
{
 "inherit" "atdm:loot_base"

// it is put into the inventory, but stays in the map (does this work?)
 "remove"  "0"
 // and this script runs (doesn't seem to work)
 "frob_action_script" "frob_swap_skin"
 // used by the script above
 "skin_frobbed"       "painting_torn"
}

However, atm it doesn't work.

Maybe we should wait until after 1.01 then if it's going to get complicated. We still have other things to sort out before the end of the week.

Come to think of it, this method would potentially mess up existing paintings. Paintings that use a skin are fine, as we can adjust the skin. But any paintings using the default texture in existing maps would now show up as torn.

I'll probably have to add separate models to avoid this.

Maybe we should wait until after 1.01 then if it's going to get complicated. We still have other things to sort out before the end of the week.

Come to think of it, this method would potentially mess up existing paintings. Paintings that use a skin are fine, as we can adjust the skin. But any paintings using the default texture in existing maps would now show up as torn.

I'll probably have to add separate models to avoid this.

Couldn't you make the default model have the "torn" bits behind the "canvas" and set them to nodraw by default, and then make the torn version "nodraw" the actual painting? That way unmodified it would show the painting as it is, and with a skin you can make the painting vanish and show the torn bits?

Never mind, I had several typos. But now it works!

post-144-126393138136_thumb.jpg

post-144-126393146953_thumb.jpg

post-144-126393148967_thumb.jpg

(Not yet with Springheels new models tho)

Ignore the painting on the right, it is misaligned, thats why the torn bits don't show. The also show the wrong icon (svn update not yet finished here.

Also, they "vanish" into the loot. If you want to make a painting the thief carries, the spawnargs can (easily) be modified like "inv_category" "Painting" instead of "Loot".

@Springheel: your empty texture is missing. I substituted mine for now (can probably be deleted).

Added Fidcals icon to them, and worked around the missing texture and commited my work so far. Can be tested test/candles.map right near the start.

Edit: The only thing I couldn't prevent is that "frobbing" the loot will add it to your inventory, and thus remove it from the world. For now I spawn in a replacement empty frame, but that sounds not the best solution to me.

Couldn't you make the default model have the "torn" bits behind the "canvas" and set them to nodraw by default, and then make the torn version "nodraw" the actual painting?

Yes, that would probably work, though it would require a greater redesign of the model.

I'll upload a different model when I get a chance: painting01_torn.lwo, so we can test it. If there are no problems then we can replace the originals.

edit: On second thought, it wouldn't work the way I had intended...the "torn" texture allows little scraps of the original painting to show through, but obviously that won't work if it's underneath.

I think a separate model is the way to go. Anyone wanting to use this will need to use an entity anyway.

Ok, I've added three new painting models that seem to work well. They use the same skins as normal paintings, but don't affect existing paintings in any way.

I've only made one "torn" skin as a test...would we want torn versions for every painting type, or will only certain ones be considered loot?

Someone else will have to handle making the rest of the skins and necessary entities, but I'd recommend finishing anything for 1.01 first.

post-9-126394940919_thumb.jpg

Ok, I've added three new painting models that seem to work well. They use the same skins as normal paintings, but don't affect existing paintings in any way.

Cool. However:

I've only made one "torn" skin as a test...would we want torn versions for every painting type, or will only certain ones be considered loot?

Hm, some thoughts:

* it would be better if the original paintings had their frame and their picture in sep. textures (I can handle sep. and converting them and adapting the skins and materials). The reasons are: We can better match/mix frames+picture, and it it doesn't duplicate so many localmaps and localmaps parts. It would also making "torn" skins more easiert.

* the torn version shows some big scrapts leftover, and I have two problems with that: A: not very mastethiefish, ripping it out that unclean. Plus, it would devalue the painting a lot. The second problem is that this makes nec to create a sep. texture for each picture we want to have torn out. If the scraps would be a lot smaller, we could probably get away with one or two generic torn textures (because you don't see much on 1..2 pixel wide strips anway).

(Edit: the second point doesn't make as I see your "torn" is just an overlay wood texture :) Still, I'd vote for making the "torn" bits much smaller).

Does that make sense?

Someone else will have to handle making the rest of the skins and necessary entities, but I'd recommend finishing anything for 1.01 first.

Yeah, I have the light entities still scheduled. However, somebody else should do the "dirty" textures for our fireplaces - it takes me way much longer than a real artist and the result is rather bad from me, too.

Done, added all skins as torn variants, adapted entities and the script, which now copies over the skin with "_torn" added when spawning the empty replacement piture.

This time also committed the candles map, where you can now test stealing a few images.

(If anybody knows how a "loot" entity can be added to the inventory, but still stay in the world, that would be good, then we could just set it to unfrobbable and swap the skin. However, I am not sure if that would actually gain us anything, as the current method works).

One thing I noticed:

post-144-126397000048_thumb.jpg

E.g. the "torn" skin hovers in front of the painting. Probably can't be helped, but I think it would be a good idea to decrease the quite a bit, as it is very noticable right now.

Also added three entities using my "see-through" skin:

post-144-126397135085_thumb.jpg

Only problem is that the transparent parts are part of the frame, and thus count as wood:

post-144-126397136366_thumb.jpg

uhm. I could set them to stone for now, but that also makes the frame sound like stone...

Btw, Fidcal, can you please and tell us if this is how you like it?

However, somebody else should do the "dirty" textures for our fireplaces -

What needs to be done?

Kind of lost track. Is this committed so I can try it? I thought paintings normally had a back board?

Done, added all skins as torn variants, adapted entities and the script, which now copies over the skin with "_torn" added when spawning the empty replacement piture.

This time also committed the candles map, where you can now test stealing a few images.

(If anybody knows how a "loot" entity can be added to the inventory, but still stay in the world, that would be good, then we could just set it to unfrobbable and swap the skin. However, I am not sure if that would actually gain us anything, as the current method works).

One thing I noticed:

post-144-126397000048_thumb.jpg

E.g. the "torn" skin hovers in front of the painting. Probably can't be helped, but I think it would be a good idea to decrease the quite a bit, as it is very noticable right now.

Also added three entities using my "see-through" skin:

post-144-126397135085_thumb.jpg

Only problem is that the transparent parts are part of the frame, and thus count as wood:

post-144-126397136366_thumb.jpg

uhm. I could set them to stone for now, but that also makes the frame sound like stone...

Btw, Fidcal, can you please and tell us if this is how you like it?

What needs to be done?

Dirty skins (e.g. take the existing material and dirty it up) for fireplaces. There are three example fireplaces in the candles map - one has a dirty skin/texture, the other two not, thus they look completely unrealisticly clean. (And another one is completely black because the texture went AWOL somewhere in the past.

Kind of lost track. Is this committed so I can try it?

Yes, that's why I was posting you can try it in candles.map...

I thought paintings normally had a back board?

Not normally, it is usually only the canvas clamped over the frame, but I guess for more expensive ones they'd add one to minimize damage?

Anyway, the see-through variants are only static entities, not used as loot. Just try it in the map.

Dirty skins (e.g. take the existing material and dirty it up) for fireplaces. There are three example fireplaces in the candles map - one has a dirty skin/texture, the other two not, thus they look completely unrealisticly clean. (And another one is completely black because the texture went AWOL somewhere in the past.

I can't guarantee I'll get to it this week. The odds are better if you can list the specific materials and textures that need to be modified, rather than me tracking it down.

I can't guarantee I'll get to it this week. The odds are better if you can list the specific materials and textures that need to be modified, rather than me tracking it down.

No problem:

* models/darkmod/fireplace/fireplace_arch01.lwo - the model without a texture

* dds/models/darkmod/props/textures/fireplace_stone_d.dds - needs a dirty variant (also, the texture wasted a lot of black space, maybe it can be re-uv-mapped to use only half the space)

* dds/models/darkmod/props/textures/fireplace_brick_d.dds - the same, needs dirty version and wasted a lot of texture space