The Dark Mod Forums

Setting up Dark Radiant

raymeld

Can some kind soul give me some basic help. I downloaded DR and installed it. When I fire it up I keep getting a message box under settings 'engine path does not exist' and 'fs game folder does not exist'. I've followed the Wiki instructions, what do I need to put in these boxes? Whatever I put in is thrown out with path does not exist for both. What am I doing wrong? Doom 3 is under games on C: etc. Sorry to bother everyone, I'd like to quietly have a go with DR but if I can't get past this simple point wonder if I'll ever make a go of it. I'm a complete and utter newbie I'm afraid!

In the DR prefrences menu :

Go to "Game"

Set Engine Path to : C:/games/doom3/ (or whatever your one happens to be)

Mod (fs_game) to : darkmod

Mod Base is used to specify the name of your map if you add custom materials/textures etc - for now it isnt very important :) but it would be set to the name of your mission folder if it were the case.

Many thanks both of you , sorry to burden you with such a basic question. I'll do what you say.

Still can't get anywhere , here is the path taken from the Doom shortcut "C:\Program Files (x86)\DOOM 3\ .Have also tried as above. Still keep getting the same message and can run DR by clicking 'no' ( saying I don't want to amend path ! Does the stuff have to be in quotes ( I've tried both ways) I seriously wonder whether I'll ever be any good at this if I can't even complete this simple step. Will try a few more things but then may have to forget it I guess. Sorry to be such an idiot but I'm a newbie on this sort of thing and would just like to have a go at building a simple mission.

Try moving your doom3 folder to c:\doom3\

That includes dropping the folder name to lower case and removing the space.

Everything should not be quoted, if you have moved it to the suggested location then use C:/doom3 (note the / and not \ as windows uses)

o.k , got it at last , idiot that I am I left some quotes in that I'd tried on another attempt! So now I'm up and running and will use the various guides and potter around with it. The speed I'm working at I may make a mission by the end of the year!! Thanks again for bearing with me.

Ah - good work then;

It will take a week or so before you really get into stride but dont worry, DR is a very friendly and forgiving editor :)

Feel free to ask questions, someone will always give you a reply (however most of the editing stuff is on the wiki, finding the right names can be a challenge)

Ah - good work then;

It will take a week or so before you really get into stride but dont worry, DR is a very friendly and forgiving editor :)

Feel free to ask questions, someone will always give you a reply (however most of the editing stuff is on the wiki, finding the right names can be a challenge)

Thanks will do !

yeah, don't be afraid to post "newbie" questions to the forum if you can't find the answer anywhere. I've hit several roadblocks on my nooblar DR journey, even following the very basic tutorials, but as TDM and DR are ever-evolving, sometimes the info on the wiki pages get outdated and you can still get stuck. Or you just can't find the right wiki page at all, or it doesn't exist yet. I've posted a few of my problems to the forums, and theres always SOMEBODY that has a solution.

yeah, don't be afraid to post "newbie" questions to the forum if you can't find the answer anywhere. I've hit several roadblocks on my nooblar DR journey, even following the very basic tutorials, but as TDM and DR are ever-evolving, sometimes the info on the wiki pages get outdated and you can still get stuck. Or you just can't find the right wiki page at all, or it doesn't exist yet. I've posted a few of my problems to the forums, and theres always SOMEBODY that has a solution.

Thanks , I'll remember that . I'm a member on quite a few sites , this is one of the friendliest communities I've found of them all so I won't be afraid to ask if I get stuck.