The Dark Mod Forums

Problems with the Bushes/treetops/ivys and co

McPhisto2051

hi there...

1st of all nice remake of the original game but its less interesting if everything is missing ingame.

i cant see the bushes treetops ivys or every other things ingame in normal play.

if i hit quickload when i died im able to see them before the loading screen comes but not ingame...

else it looks like this: http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/2020/istze.png but the missing things flicker from times to times...

thats annoying and just the walls look better than the old game nothing more ^^

so everthing looks a little bit poor, even the tablecloth is missing...

so plz help me, what can i do?

btw im having an ati... :(

greetz Mc

That is quite strange, alpha blending/testing seems completely broken for you.

What graphics card do you have? are you using a laptop? What version of the driver are you using (if you know)?

Do you have any doom3 mods installed? Have you tried disabling bloom and ATI "Catalyst AI"? Did you have doom3 installed a long time before TDM (i.e not a fresh install -> patch -> TDM)

A lot of questions, but they should help :)

who cant tell u which driver he has ;)?

yes i got a laptop: Toshiba Sattellite A100-153 with "Mobility™ Radeon® X1600 256 MB" and doom3 runs with high quality without any problems... could also do ultra but this laggs a little on some points ^^

the driver from the toshiba pages are reeeally old so i got some from ati/amd pages: its the ati mobility radeon x1600 driver; version 8.292.0.0

i tried in the faqs the problems about compressed grafics and texture problems but im just missung the things around that give the game the best feeling...

i dont have any ati catalyst things installed so i cant change them... and where is the bloom option?

and yes doom 3 was installed long time before... but reinstalling will get the same effekt because i had the same idea ^^

the strange thing is that i can see the missing things on some spots where im walking but with the next step all disappear again :( on my screenshots next step see them but then ill get just a black screenie so i couldnt show it...

i alway get problems with this laptop and thief-games ^^ damn

Edited by McPhisto2051

Ok, I'm going to go and guess its your laptop's OEM version drivers preventing the new ones from installing correctly, the driver you have now is from 2006, no doubt not the new one!

If you are up for jumping through a few hoops (manually cleaning drivers) I can mod and package some new drivers to work with your card (hopefully)

Give me a few hours to get them sorted and write up how to install them?

sure ill try everything just 4 running this game ;-)

the biggest problem is the compatibility of my grafic card with regular driver because they dont match...

this is a bad combination of grafic card an motherboard shit...

toshiba cut the support off and always brings the same old driver shit just for newer windows versions... but they never update the driver for my card...

im trying my best to update the driver...

and omg ure right my driver is really old... and the funny thing is, that serious sam hd just worked with my "new" driver not the old from toshiba :-)

im running in circles...

there is a 10.2 version which should be the newest but it installs the install manager which installs the install manager which installs the install manager...

Edited by McPhisto2051

Dont worry, I will upload the driver which is modded to allow mobility cards.

The reason the drivers dont work for laptops is that OEM's, like toshiba dont like users to keep changing drivers because it makes it hard to support over the phone etc. As such they request ATI and Nvidia to NOT allow drivers to install on laptops, so only you the consumer are losing out. However there are tools to add the support back to the driver, its actually fairly easy but I will supply the correct version, just writing up the directions to use and uploading now.

Ok, I've done a pretty rough job - they should work on your card and dont include ccc - this is for windows XP/2003 32/64bit - download

I would suggest you try just extract and install. If the driver version updates and you can confirm that it is 10.2... things should be fine.

Make sure to do a custom install, dont install CCC if it offers it - I cant test. If the install fails because CCC is missing I will leave it in (tho it will take double the time to upload - I have a slow connection.)

However, if that doesnt update the driver(but it does claim to install) you will need to :

• Get a driver you know WORKS, from the toshiba site or whatever (in case this fails!)
  • Restart, go into safe mode (press f8 while starting up, press it often, you should get a menu about safe mode etc.)
  • Uninstall your driver while in safe mode.
  • Go to C:\Windows\System32
  • Delete the folder "ReInstallBackups"
  • Optional but pretty safe : Delete any file that starts with 'ati' from system32
  • Restart into normal windows
  • Windows should look terrible, low res etc.
  • Install the driver I gave you
  • Restart and it should be correct!

And hopefully after all of this - TDM and other games work and look better! they should ;)

If TDM is upside down after this, I'll give you links and tell you how to disable Cat AI without CCC.

• Like 1

YES!

i cant thank you enough, it worked :-)

i just dled it and installed he driver.

now the lights are shimmering and not straight forward and i see the bushes. there are also flowers on the chimney and not an empty pot :D

seems that you know what you are doing.

thx again.

now i just have to ask stupid questions about the mission itself ;-)

greetz Mc

ps: there was no offer for ccc just the option install driver ^^

Edited by McPhisto2051

Yes, good job Serpentine. Sounds like magic to me. :laugh: I don't know what if anything could be put on the wiki FAQ: "if you don't see foliage then consult wizard Serpentine" or something.

and here i thought i just finished the A-Z guid e and a bottle of coffree brady at the samne time, and i thought i was hot sheit >/passoutttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

edit: was thinking about deleting this post entirely, but i think i'll leave it for posterity. motd: dont drink and post. i'm so hungover my soul hurts.

Edited by ungoliant