The Dark Mod Forums

ASE Export Script for Dark Radiant

rich_is_bored

There may or may not be something wrong with the Blender import script. It's hard to tell given the Dark Radiant plugin is in a state of flux.

I will say that the last time I worked on the Blender import script, I did a batch import of all the ASE files bundled with Doom 3 and there were no observable errors. But that doesn't mean much.

At any rate, I've submitted a bug report for the python dialog not trapping key presses.

Okay I was able to confirm the overwrite dialog, the fix for key trapping, and it looks like the textures and geometry are preserved (best I can tell from within DR). Really nice!

So: just for completeness/summary: old script several days ago worked to import into Blender 2.5, but was said to have several issues needing fixing and couldn't be imported back into DarkRadiant. The newer version exports and imports back into DarkRadiant fine, but don't import into Blender 2.43, 2.49, or 2.5.

• 4 weeks later...

That script is very cool!

I managed to find out (or so I think) that I need to copy it to /usr/lib/darkradiant/scripts/ but then, how do I run it from within DR? Could somebody please put a quick tutorial on the wiki?

Me thinks that could be *very* useful to create easily simple models that can be used as entity f.i. for LOD!

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

It's (hopefully) still in dev, and is not in a state where DR <-> Blender is a simple back-forth. See my feedbacks above for problems encountered.

Yeah, but all I care about is "DR -> ASE_MODEL -> load in map and display", I don't do Blender :)

Anyway, how I do I run it? "RunScript" from the console did nothing?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

No idea; my interest in this is to get geometry from DR to Blender (and of course then reverse that) and that currently is on the fritz the best of my knowledge.

Erm, who are you and what did you do to the real SneaksieDave? :ph34r: Here:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/10906-ase-export-script-wip/page__view__findpost__p__217968

you gave a report of successfully running the script. So, pray, tell me, how did you do it? My DR doesn't have anywhere (as it seems) anything to run scripts, and the console does not respond to the only command I found via google, namely RunScript:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=DarkRadiant_Script_Reference

I am running DR 1.3.2 on Linux 64bit, if that matters. (Looking into the about box, I see no mentioning of a "script module", but maybe there isn't one?)

Documentation is lacking...

Oh run it in DR? There should be a Scripts menu entry. If you have the script dropped in the right place (mentioned in this thread I think) then it's right there. Select some stuff and run it.

I'm not sure it's going to give what you want/need anyway. Something (not sure what) might be wrong with the models if they won't open in Blender (any version I tried). Though, they open in DR. :wacko: So yeah -- I'm confused. Rich hasn't replied back here yet so I have no idea what's going on currently.

Just to be certain there are no issues here I've re-uploaded the script. I've just tested it with DR 1.3.2 and it produces valid ASE files that can be loaded back into DR.

I thought I covered installation in the first post but to go over it again you place ase_export.py in your "DarkRadiant/scripts/commands" folder and the next time you launch DR, aseExport will be available in the scripts menu.

Just select the brushes and or patches you would like to export, and go to Scripts > aseExport.

Edited by rich_is_bored

@rich_is_bored: I can confirm (from above) that I am able to make a selection of brushes and patches, export them in DR, and then reload them as a model in DR. That appears to work.

However, attempting to import to Blender has mostly unsuccessful results:

1. If an exported ASE contains only a single mesh patch: imports to blender 2.52 fine

2. If an exported ASE contains multiple patches: blender only imports one of the patches apparently

3. If an exported ASE contains patches and brushes: I made a patch arch with some brush columns -- the result in Blender was a single brush block (of expected shape) but nothing else.

4. If an exported ASE is only brushes: I made a doorway of 4 brushes (two sides, one top, and an overhang) -- the result from importing to Blender was one rectangular block.

I've tried Blender 2.43:

Import Patch:  D:\doom3\darkmod\models\darkmod\architecture\test.ase
Read file
Import Objects
Blender.Scene.getCurrent() is deprecated,
       use Blender.Scene.GetCurrent() instead.
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "<string>", line 392, in read_ui
 File "<string>", line 53, in read_main
 File "<string>", line 281, in read_file
 File "<string>", line 298, in spawn_main
 File "<string>", line 361, in spawn_mesh
ValueError: matrix does not have an inverse

and 2.52:

found bundled python: D:\programs\BLENDE~1.5-A\.blender\python
RNA_string_set: IMPORT_SCENE_OT_ase.filename not found.
RNA_string_set: IMPORT_SCENE_OT_ase.directory not found.
*** ASE Scene Importer v0.06 ***
Loading D:\doom3\darkmod\models\darkmod\architecture\test.ase
Success.
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "D:\programs\BLENDE~1.5-A\.blender\scripts\io\import_ase.py", line 581, i
n execute
   applyData(model)
 File "D:\programs\BLENDE~1.5-A\.blender\scripts\io\import_ase.py", line 558, i
n applyData
   ob_new.data.add_material(bpy.data.materials[model.materials[x.materialref].n
ame])
KeyError: 'bpy_prop_collection[key]: key "textures/darkmod/stone/brick/blocks_br
own" not found'

Is there a version of Blender (or an import script) where these DR exports can be used?

Edit: To risk confusing(?) the issue again, I'll repeat: older versions of the script could import to blender. Something break along the way, or conflicting versions, or...?

Just to be certain there are no issues here I've re-uploaded the script. I've just tested it with DR 1.3.2 and it produces valid ASE files that can be loaded back into DR.

I thought I covered installation in the first post but to go over it again you place ase_export.py in your "DarkRadiant/scripts/commands" folder and the next time you launch DR, aseExport will be available in the scripts menu.

Just select the brushes and or patches you would like to export, and go to Scripts > aseExport.

Erm, I don't have a "scripts" menu?

Also, the "DarkRadiant/scripts/commands" folder is a bit unspecified, because I don't know where exactly in Linux this is.. :)

(I found /usr/lib/darkradiant/scripts/commands and there are a few .py files in there, so I dropped it to there, too.)

Anyway, started this:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Running_Scripts_in_Darkradiant

Some of the included scripts require headers that are not used, i.e random.

Should I bother putting a ticket in? will test if its just as trivial as I think to fix.

Think even if the fix is 1minute, a ticket would be nice. Hopefully can get this work, the script looks damn useful for me.

However, attempting to import to Blender has mostly unsuccessful results:

I appreciate the feedback but the functionality of the Blender import plugin has no bearing on whether or not the Dark Radiant ASE export plugin works.

I'll test things on my end and keep you posted on here...

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/10941-ase-import-script-for-blender-25/

Erm, I don't have a "scripts" menu?

Then you didn't compile DR with scripting support, probably because your system is lacking the boost python dev libs. The automake toolchain automatically deactivates the scripting build option if the headers are not present on your system.

Then you didn't compile DR with scripting support, probably because your system is lacking the boost python dev libs. The automake toolchain automatically deactivates the scripting build option if the headers are not present on your system.

I didn't compile it, just used the one from the repository and already pinged Orbweaver if he can fix it - otherwise no linux user can run scripts unless he compiles DR by himself (which we wanted to avoid in the first place by having a repository :)

I have 1.3.2svn5614~lucid1 installed from the repository and there is definitely a scripts menu with three commands in. :unsure:

Sorry, I meant with "repository" the one via PPA. E.g. just the one that Ubuntu now provides.

That's the one I meant too -- that is the latest version from the PPA.

https://launchpad.net/~orbweaver/+archive/darkradiant/+packages

That's the one I have installed, the "karmic" version.

The log for both 64bit and 32bit say during buld "Python scripting: no". Huh?

http://launchpadlibrarian.net/50643137/buildlog_ubuntu-karmic-amd64.darkradiant_1.3.2svn5614~karmic1_FULLYBUILT.txt.gz