The Dark Mod Forums

Classic menu for Win7

Bikerdude

Morning

Just found this –

http://classicshell.....net/index.html

I have tried alternative classic menu hacks for Win7 but they never worked properly, this one does and then some - see below. It's as responsive as the old classic Start menu on Xp/Vista, now all we need is a hack for the control panel layout….

CSmenuSS.jpg?psid=1

Edited by Bikerdude

Don't think i can go back to that after Windows 7. The menu is one of the things I really like about it. It's also quite snappy on my system, but I can see this hack being great on lower end systems.

I like a lot of other people hate the new start menu on vista and 7, this new CS hack is just and snappy as the menu on Xp, full drag and drop and a load of other features..

I'd love to have it back, but it'd mean running some extra crap all the time... and for some or other reason that makes me all frowny face.

The only reason I found that people didnt like the old one is because they navigated it with the mouse and didnt know you could just type in it which removes the usefulness of the new one seeing as it hides everything else and has that horrible right hand side panel of uselessness.

Same thing with people not understanding that you can type to find stuff on your desktop or in an explorer window.

each to their own I guess. But Ive never used the start menu foir anything other than a program lister. Im quite neet and tidy with the way data is on my computer so I have never needed to type to find something as I always know within one or two folder depth where something is.

Also typing the name of a program is for me and I assume others slower than navigating to it with a mouse.

Edited by Bikerdude

I've always found it tedious to organize the start menu. Every program has it's own idea of where it's shortcut should be located. Some end up nested in folders and others are stuck in the root programs folder.

Then you need to devise a categorization scheme as the default folders aren't very intuitive. For instance, what makes a program an "accessory"?

I like the new system much better. I don't have to worry about how the programs folder is organized. I hardly ever see it as I know what I'm looking for and I just start typing the name of the program.

Add to that the ability to pin frequently used programs to the task bar itself and the start menu doesn't really even get used.

Edited by rich_is_bored

At first I really hated the idea of having a start menu. I probably would have downloaded this, but with most things Microsoft throws my way it slowly grew on me :P I was really surprised they didn't include it in the default windows 7 I kept thinking it was a MS screw up since it seemed to straightforward to do so.

I know a surprisingly large amount of people that prefer the classic though.