The Dark Mod Forums

Skybox issues

Winter

I can't get the skybox in my map to work. I went to the prefab folder and it was empty so I went into a darkmod map (Patently Dangerous) and copied the sky prefab from there. I textured the walls I wanted to see the sky through as smf/portal_sky and when I tried to load the map I got a leak. So I went back into DR and put a room around the sky. The map then loaded fine but I can't see any sky in my map.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Firstly, the prefabs are in a pk4 zip archive so you need to extract them into the darkmod folder. Use any zip program; you might need to change the .pk4 suffix to .zip. You need to do that with any future Dark Mod updates at least for the foreseeable future.

When you said you put a room around the sky do you mean the little skybox you got from Patently Dangerous or do you mean your own build?

If you mean the little skybox then we know it works in PD so somehow you introduced a leak. The only way I can think of is if you imported it then deselected it then made some change, eg, later with something filtered (eg, caulk) you selected it and moved it but did not include the filtered part. If so, I'd suggest turn off all filters in the filter menu, delete the skybox and any parts separated from it, and import afresh.

If you mean your own build then you need to fix the leak properly, see http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Leak Just putting a big box around a map is like putting a big box around a leaky submarine - it works but not very efficiently.

However, since the sky is not working I suspect the skybox is faulty.

do you have the skybox info_portalsky object in the middle of the skybox, I suspect its not working because you didn't copy that object in the prefab, or that moving the prefab put the info_portalsky in the void, causing the leak. the info_portalsky is a camera pointing in all directions at once, and it sends what it sees to the projector which is the info_player_start, and when you look at a portalsky texture in game you see what the camera sees.