The Dark Mod Forums

Zombies and Doors

Sotha

I've experimented with zombies and realized that they do not know how to operate doors.

Luckily, this is easily remedied with adding spawnarg "canOperateDoors 1"

1) Without wandering into deep academic discussion about what animated pile of rotting flesh can do with mechanical objects, the zombies should probably be able to open doors simply due to gameplay reasons. Usually in the zombie movies closed unlocked light wooden doors will not halt the undead horde. ;)

2) At present, the zombies do not have any kind of animation for opening the door. They simply move in front of the door, stand there and magically the door opens. Could it be possible for me, as a mapper, to make the zombie do the attack animation to open the doors?

3) If the zombie has "canOperateDoors 1" set they can open doors. But they will also close them. Is there a spawnarg to prevent the door closing behavior? Zombies should be smart enough to brainlessly bash a door open, but surely they will not turn and close it after they have passed through. Performance-wise the door could be closed later with autoclose. The halls are quite drafty..

Thanks for any help!

EDIT:

Also I'd like to know is there a neat way of putting decals on AI's, or is it done by creating a decal patch, turning it into an entity and binding it on the AI?

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Though my own zombies have no doors they have to deal with, I second the motion to have zombies that can batter open a door, pass through, and not close it behind them. Since doors open in a specific direction, the mapper will have to make sure that when a zombie bangs on the door it opens away from him.

Good fun to be standing in a shadowy room and a door bursts open to reveal a lurching zombie.

The door could even be specially made for a zombie, coming off its hinges and crashing to the floor.

Check the Doors wiki article. There are settings for not closing doors but it might go on the door itself.

You might try a conversation attack animation but I don't think it will work in sync if the AI is in the process of opening the door. You might check the AI to see if it has a door opening animation but otherwise I think it needs a new spawnarg, ie, code change.

Yes, bind a func_static brush or patch to an AI is a convenient way for mappers.

The "zombies close doors" sounds like a bug and I'd like you to file a tracker entry for this. (wether we just forbid it for zombies or make it a general spawnarg solution is secondary).

As for the rest, I can't answer.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax