The Dark Mod Forums

minimum system requirements

uncadonego

Well, with the rebate it's about 80 bucks, but the PCIe version has so many different companies using the card it depends on what brand you buy. The price depending on what tweak of the Radeon HD 4650 PCIe you buy ranges from 63 bucks to 188 bucks. I got the XFX version, and it's PCIe counterpart from the same supplier is 75 bucks, but no rebate is being offered. I guess I hit a little serendipity spot there.

Addendum:

Hey, BTW, I don't have Catalyst installed on my comp, just the ATI Display Driver. When I get my new card and install the new driver before putting the card in the slot, will it cause problems if I don't uninstall this display driver?

Should I uninstall this display driver, install the new display driver, then shut down and change cards? Or is leaving the old driver until later no big deal?

I would suggest;

1) Uninstall all ATI software

2) Shut down computer

3) Remove card and insert new card

4) Boot back up, install new drivers/software

That's usually the route I've taken with ATI hardware swaps and I've never had an issue. Ohhhh I can't wait for you to play the game on a better computer. Don't forget you can always come over and use the big computer downstairs, it was running quite well. Cheap computer too, i7 12 gigs of ram, 1 TB HDD, 1gig Nvidia card I think it was 1000$?

I just checked Dells website, they have for today only a nice system:

http://configure.us....=en&s=dhs&cs=19

$909.99 USD - Free Shipping

PROCESSOR AMD Phenom™ II X6 1035T (6 Cores)

GRAPHICS CARD ATI Radeon HD 5670 1GB

OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English

MEMORY 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 4 DIMMs

HARD DRIVE 1TB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache

OPTICAL DRIVE 16X DVD+/-RW Drive

SOUND CARD Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ Xtreme Audio

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Ignore the message and install the drivers anyway. It's common for hardware vendors to release updated drivers without WHQL certification.

WHQL certification simply means that Microsoft has tested the software and deems it safe. It's a nice gesture but when you're a graphics vendor putting out updated drivers every week it amounts to ceremonial red tape.

OK, I installed the drivers anyway. Now where I had 4 to 6 fps, I'm getting 20 to 28 fps, and looking in the corner where I had 24 or so, I have 68fps. However, after changing to the 400W supply I needed to reseat my wirless adapter into another slot to get internet back. Now, another problem, my sound is no longer working. Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices says I have no audio device. I never had a card. It's integrated AC97 Audio Codec • Realtek ALC658 . How do I get it back?

EDIT: I went to the HP site and tried re-installing the Realtek software, but it didn't help.

Another problem, DeusEx is running OK, TDM is running OK, Drakan: OOTF is running OK, but now T2 is crashing.

EDIT #2: Well, about the audio, never mind about that one. I googled but found no solution. So, of course, I checked the first thing last. I went into BIOS. The onboard audio was set to AUTO, which as far as I know should be fine, but maybe reseating cards changed something. Anyhoooo.... I tabbed through and set it to Enabled, then re-booted. Audio is back.

However the T2 crash problem remains. Is it maybe something that could be fixed by DDfix?

Sorry that this thread slowly wandered away from TDM questions to a T2 problem.

All this because of changing a vid card. Dark circles under my eyes. I hate computers.......

Edited by uncadonego

Newer video drivers only have 32bit color support, 16bit support was dropped around mid 2009 I believe?

Yes, if the DDfix is the one that updates the textures to 32bit then that'll fix your T2 issues.

No worries about the tangents, your goal was to "have the same computing environment as before but have TDM play faster" so fixing non-TDM stuff is part of that process ;)

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Yeah you need DDFix, which is better anyways as it supports 32bit render targets, fog is fixed, and you can use whatever resolution you want.

I play T2 at 1920x1200 with the widscreen patch also. Runs great.

So I guess we see that you still need a new system. I had this issue too when I upgraded my crappy system with a Radeon 9700 Pro, back in the day. It was an 800$ video card, with an Athlon 1.2 Ghz system. Games still ran like crap, but were no longer GPU limited.

Yep.

You certainly aren't a the lowest of the low-enders playing TDM and even missions where significant portions are as low as 10fps can still be playable enough.

I usually start whining when it gets below that number but I can console myself with the number of other missions that do run well :laugh:

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I think this card may do alright for me for a while though.

It were the problem.

Now you can have fun.

And, while your having fun, start saving up for a completely new system.

All in good time.

But you needed this inexpensive and effective fix. So good on ya.

Love your computer, you know you do.

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

Yeah, changing out computer anything can be such a hassle. Everytime I do something major I end up in a down time rut where I'm so fed up dealing with issues that I always fail to get around to installing programs and games I use.

Good to hear you're up and running though.

When should we expect your first mission? (You have installed Dark Radiant right?).lol, I'm gonna bug you until it's released.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Well, it's hard to say. Back when I quit dromeding, I finished the next chapter of Two Fathers, except for some sounds, readables, and the objectives. I kind of feel like I should get that off my desktop and out into the ether before I move on. Not really inspired to release another T2 FM though. Maybe playing around with DR for a bit will motivate me to get rid of old business and move on.

Hmmm....still crashes even after patching with DDFix. Maybe uninstall and re-install, then patch again?????

I'll email you my T2 patched exe, I run it with no problems, but it took a few tries to get it to work.

EDIT: I suppose you could also come over and get it