The Dark Mod Forums

PranQster's newb thread...

PranQster

Very nice, will look better when you have dirtied everything up a bit..

Cool. I'll add some decals to add some carbon soot and dirt, etc. I just cloned the light I put on the steel a few times to make the coals and log glow more too... looks really cool.

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

Cool. I'll add some decals to add some carbon soot and dirt, etc. I just cloned the light I put on the steel a few times to make the coals and log glow more too... looks really cool.

It also needs some very faint smoke. I think v1.02 already contains pre-made smoke+fire+light entities for this effect (it also means the player can use this fire to light candles, or put out the fire with a waterarrow for whatever this might be nec.). Cloning the light - be careful to make them all sync, and set the others to noshadows or thinks go pear-shaped :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Looking good, but as Bikerdude said it's too clean. Also I think it should be a lot smaller, right now it feels too big and not messy enough.

If you want I could try to model a tong in Blender real quick for you. Shouldn't take much more than a couple days tops. I'd need some reference to work from as well.

Thanks for using my pair of bellows.

It also needs some very faint smoke. I think v1.02 already contains pre-made smoke+fire+light entities for this effect (it also means the player can use this fire to light candles, or put out the fire with a waterarrow for whatever this might be nec.). Cloning the light - be careful to make them all sync, and set the others to noshadows or thinks go pear-shaped :)

Yeah, there is some faint smoke, but it appears better when standing back. It actually should be visible in that first screenshot, but may be not showing due to lighting at that angle. I'll probably lower it, but I kind of like how it materializes a bit higher off the log. I cloned the light 3 times and placed them at the log and coals, rotating 2 of them. The effect is really nice and gives a realistic glow to the log with no sharp angles. Will post screenshot later after work.

Looking good, but as Bikerdude said it's too clean. Also I think it should be a lot smaller, right now it feels too big and not messy enough.

If you want I could try to model a tong in Blender real quick for you. Shouldn't take much more than a couple days tops. I'd need some reference to work from as well.

Thanks for using my pair of bellows.

I've started to make it dirty, but sadly found that I can't apply decals to patches. So I'll have to find a way to make brushes with decals to apply well to my patches. As far as size goes, I might make the forge serve multiple smiths.

Tongs would be nice. I'll look later for some reference pictures.

Glad to be using the bellows, thank you for making it... it is awesome!

Edited by PranQster

@Pranster

If you want an idea of what a medieval blacksmith looks like, feel free to use/rip the forge in my contest mission and then just add your bits to it.

And just to remind everyone, once I have released a mission people are free to use them as they want to, just credit me in yer fm etc.

^_^

Cool, thanks. I just might do that. Or at least check it out for inspiration.

I was mostly building that for practice working with patches... not trying to make anything authentic, but seeing what I can do in DR. I honestly don't like the cylinder brick structure I made, but was having more fun making a foot pedal for the bellows and getting an iron piece to glow.

My smithy is in the middle of a workshop room I made, intended to be a siege workshop and weapon smith.

Nothing I have been working on is even remotely ready to be used in a mission. I'm still learning the basics of DR, but I've temporarily parted ways from the wiki to learn stuff by trial & error.

Apart from all of that, there is another reason my forge is so weird... Benny, or Bentley or whatever, is an amateur blacksmith when he's not on duty with City Watch. He's not quite as smart as a rat and his craftsmanship shows it.

Edited by PranQster