The Dark Mod Forums

Visportal help plz

Garreth

In the video you can see some irregularity i have no idea why some portals are closed and some open.

All is placed well and sealed up nice for all i know.

Am i doing something wrong?

At the end the game hangs... i was better off without them, but i need them if i ever want to have a working map. I understand that the main hallway will be open when i stand outfront or ontop but why are the rooms in the back open when i stand outfront they should not be rendering.

If the rule is correct that if you cannot see behind a portal, it will be closed off right... some do some don't.

So if i lock myself in a little toilet all else should be closed right, like the first door i opened, the portal was closed till i opened it.

And all my windows are breakable glass and nothing touches the active side but the frameworks.

Edited by Garreth

Taf you, you taffin taffer

It is hard to see which portals you think should be closed, but are open?

* the green ones on the windows at the start? You are looking directly at them, so they are open. I don't think breakable glass closes portals, as the glass is supposed to be transparent. I am not even sure it is possible to achive that effect yet w/o scripting.

* the green ones at 0:22 behind the wall? Walls do not "close" portals, they are simply not there as far as the engine is concerned. You can fix this by adding a portal into the door frame that is right of the fire (e.g. to your left at 0.22)

* the one in the doorframe at 0:34: Are you sure that the doorframe is worldspawn? If it is a func_static, you need to extend the portal surface to touch/stick into the worldspawn wall. Also, you need only one portal for each of these doors (unless you want to have the engine completely cut off the room behind it but this is usually unnec.)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

1. It seems like the visportals are next to the doors. They need to be inside the doors to work. That is the the surface with the visportal texture on it needs to be placed inside the door.

2. You have two visportals for every opening? There only needs to be one.

Edit: forgot to post a link to the visportal page on the wiki: http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Visportals

Hmm i have some other queastions, all works well exept for the entire upper floor, the portals are not showing up ingame....non of the other floors miss any...

And i have made this roster wich i lay down on the airvents, it uses a opacity texture, but with the portal in place the opacity part reflects the moon, so it works like some kind of mirror....

Edited by Garreth

If the portals aren't showing up there is probably a leak between them somewhere (not leak to void, just leak between portal areas).

The moon thing is weird. Is the portal lined up exactly with the opacity texture (weird z-fighting thing?), or is the portal forced closed (in which case you might actually be getting the 'hall of mirrors' effect. Basically seeing only skybox through the portal. Screens would help.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

I noticed the mirror effect when testing AI in Outpost yesterday.

Enter the first floor through the well, then stand against the wall behind the well. Look down at the water. You can see all sorts of reflections that shouldn't be there.

Of course, it could be my ATI card messing up because I can't turn Catalyst AI off.

In the beginning of this video you see what i think causes the leak on he top floor, i removed all portals there, but this opacit band is in the middle of a piece of wall, you can look trough it from one side, other side looks fine. I have no idea what could cause this kind of artifact without a portal being even near.. Later in the video i show the opacity bug of the rosters.

Oke i found it it seemed that the beam on the wall was sloping forward a little so it interfeered with the wall..... no idea how that happened..but it is fixed, i will propably be back soon. with more problems rolleyes.gif

And i accidentaly putted a opacity texture on the roof edge wich made the entire upper floor leak.

Edited by Garreth