The Dark Mod Forums

Some recent Dark Mod download stats

Fidcal

I stopped checking TDM download numbers when the updates first began because lots of files were being downloaded over and over. Now updates are just downloading changes so the original pk4s should give a clue to how many newcomers there are per month. But from my fidcal site these vary from 60-odd to about 90-odd per month for each pk4 in the set. I'd have thought they'd all be the same or close because after all, if you download the whole of Dark Mod you need one of each. But presumably because of errors and re-downloads etc I guess the average is around 70-odd for this mirror.

Here are a couple of recent sample months for FMs. The figure on the right is the number of downloads for that month. They are listed in order of number of downloads.

There are other download sites of course. Tels site virtually duplicates this so in theory it should be double these numbers for the two mirrors. @Tels, are you able to verify your figures are approximately the same?

MAR 2011

ReturnToTheCityV2.pk4 267

transaction.pk4 266

alchemist.pk4 227

storm.pk4 182

flakebridge.pk4 177

heart.pk4 165

lockdown1_2_1.pk4 136

betrayal.pk4 134

somewhere1.1.pk4 125

stalban.pk4 120

thiefs_den.pk4 112

pandoras_box.pk4 102

rift.pk4 100

sound_alert_trainer.pk4 97

swing_v1_2.pk4 90

madmountain.pk4 45

stac142.pk4 20

saintlucia.pk4 16

beleaguered_fence.pk4 15

knighton_manor.pk4 15

holetower.pk4 14

builders_influence.pk4 13

delivery.pk4 12

thieves.pk4 10

APR 2011

transaction.pk4 200

alchemist.pk4 196

storm.pk4 153

mandrasola.pk4 152

ReturnToTheCityV2.pk4 151

heart.pk4 145

flakebridge.pk4 142

betrayal.pk4 123

lockdown1_2_1.pk4 113

somewhere1.1.pk4 107

stalban.pk4 105

thiefs_den.pk4 102

pandoras_box.pk4 96

sound_alert_trainer.pk4 88

swing_v1_2.pk4 84

rift.pk4 78

madmountain.pk4 46

saintlucia.pk4 15

stac142.pk4 13

holetower.pk4 13

builders_influence.pk4 10

glenham_tower.pk4 8

beleaguered_fence.pk4 8

knighton_manor.pk4 8

delivery.pk4 6

thieves.pk4 5

These are not bad numbers. At all.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Yeah not bad. I wish there was some easy way to get totals but my freeware Awstats is rather limited and it's painful even to get these numbers. I'd have to do this monthly and add them all up manually. Then add the other mirrors. But at least it gives us some idea. :)

@Tels, are you able to verify your figures are approximately the same?

I don't have the time right now to pull out exact statistics (per month etc), but here is a quick grep through everything in 2011:

* number of downloads for mirrors.txt: 10328

* number of downloads of .pk4 files: 20793 (You need to subtract about 6220 because some people use download managers, who make multiple hits to get one file. I wonder why somebody still uses download managers - no server is fooled by them anymore, and the connection isn't magically getting better, anyway...)

* transaction.pk4: 660

* alchemist.pk4: 191

(Divide numbers by 5 to get the approx. per month data)

Now the number of .pk4 file downloads might be skewed, there seem to be either some people who download all FMs, or bots. Hard to say. But luckily the ingame download leaves its user agent, so here is the ingame PK4 FM downloads for 2011, which should be 100% humans downloading an FM to play it :)

* All: 7141

* from these are v1.02: 0

* from these are v1.03: 2918

* from these are v1.04: 1953

* from these are v1.05: 2991

* from these are v1.06: 27

(Seems some developers tested v1.06 :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Very difficult to relate those to the fidcal mirror. transaction looks about right as a total because it's only been out about two months (?) whereas your year total for alchemist looks like my figure for April alone! Actually on second thoughts its only the updater that randomly chooses the mirror; FM downloads might be skewed by player choice of mirror I guess.

Thanks for the numbers! Interesting read. Too bad we don't have automagic accurate stats, though.

Still, for a mapper it is highly motivating to know that hundreds of people are playing your mission.:blush:

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

This is pretty encouraging - just last week I was wondering - for every person who joins the forums - how many people are attempting to play it without contacting anyone else.

So I guess there are hundreds of users who play TDM as of the past few months? That's pretty darn great for a single player mod!

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

So I guess there are hundreds of users who play TDM as of the past few months?

Thousands, probably. Just from the two mirrors listed above, Sotha's transaction has been downloaded about 1200 times.

Yes, I was about to add - thousands of downloads in total. Think in thousands for sure.

I just forced my CD copy of Doom 3 onto a good RL friend and ordered him to play TDM with me after we tried playing the Flakebridge Monastery level together and got murdered by angry revenants! So expect some more downloads from him! ;-P

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling