The Dark Mod Forums

Beta Test happening soon... completed... FM release happening soon...

PranQster

My first FM is nearly ready for beta testing. I have a few more things to tidy up and some lighting to finish. But then I'll be looking for some play-testing.

I'd like someone with a lower-end machine included, as well as at least one Windows user and one Linux user. Maybe 3 or 4 testers total, including at least one who does not use DR or build maps of any kind.

I'll be looking for feedback mostly regarding playability and technical aspects, but not quite as much regarding aesthetics and player immersion. Being my first FM, I am aware of much of my limitations and where things can be improved upon. This FM is to get the ball rolling, so to speak. Future missions from me will be of higher caliber.

Edited by PranQster

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

Thanks for volunteering, both of you. I'll post more when I get ready to do the beta test. I was hoping to fix a few things tonight, but ran into a hiccup with 1.06 and the new FMs. I solved the problem later, but did not work on my map at all. Hopefully it will be ready this weekend. I'd like to release it within the week, otherwise it will have to wait until mid-July (vacation).

I'd be happy to beta.

Got a pretty MOR system, I believe, all things considered:

Q8200 (2.33x4) w/4GB (utilizing only 3GB {see:XPSP3 - 32bit})

8800 GT w/512MB

Pretty close to my system... AMD Phenom 2300x4, 4GB, 550Ti 1024 (narrower memory pipe gives similar performance to my old 8800GTS 512)*

*never should have wasted my money on that 550Ti for such minor performance increase.

Edited by PranQster

If you need another tester I'll volunteer, it shouldn't interfere with the other testing I'm doing. If not, I'll just wait for it to come out and enjoy it :)

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

Ok. That's probably plenty. Thanks all. I should have one linux tester besides myself, so hopefully one will join the fray.

Another night or two and I should have it ready for testing. I'd like to try to get it confirmed as playable by Monday, fingers crossed. Otherwise it goes on hold for a few weeks.

Ok, my alpha-testers/technical advisors have given the green-light for beta testing. I have a few more light sources I want to modify and a few more decorative models to set up in a couple places. I should then be giving you all the link for it tonight (American central time zone).

Please bear in mind that this is a first-time mapper's first FM. I made a few very crappy maps for Duke Nukem 3D and Doom more than a decade ago and nothing else since then. There is much room for improvement. My next FM will look and feel much better, I promise :) Hopefully this one will still be fun despite being so newb-ish.

Edited by PranQster

Congrats PranQster! I'm looking forward to downloading it in game soon! ;-)

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

I think it's ready now. All issues presented by Beta testers were addressed. Many, many things improved upon during pre-beta and beta testing. Wow. What a learning experience.

Initial brush work has been started for my next, overly-ambitious, mission. Not sure I'll be able to pull it off as planned, but I'm aiming for an November-December release of a mega-mission. Though we might all have to upgrade our computers :P